1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Ste

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mrn6, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    hopefully Dont'a Hightower from Alabama...

2. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Re: with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh

anyone good that can play on the oline.

3. jrodcm18

jrodcm18 Member

Jan 3, 2012

Best available from O-line, Inside Backer, or if a stud NT is available.

I think Gilbert will be the LT next year. He got his feet wet like they did with Marvel Smith and Starks their first year or two. Colon at RT, Foster played very well this year, Pouncey at C, and an upgrade is needed at LG.

I think we have our Inside Backer in Sylvestor but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one. It really depends on who falls. Colbert will get it right we know that much.

4. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

OG Cordy Glenn from GA, CB Janoris Jenkins from North Alabama (unlikely) or OT Mike Adams from OSU

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I would go ILB in the first. Kuechley, Hightower, or Burficz will go in the first. Kuechly will probably be gone by 24, and Burficz is a headcase, so I say Hightower.
    2nd nosetackle. Either Poe, Ta'Amu, or Thompson are all beasts. Poe is too big and slow, in my opinion, but what the heck do i know?
    3rd there will still be good o-linemen available. Levi Adcock would be my choice.

Throw all of this out of the window if Martin or Reiff fall for some reason. Would love an outstanding tackle right off the bat. And it is our year to draft O first.

6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011

The new NFL is offence driven, where you need to put up 30+ points. All draft picks and FA pickups must be on the offensive side of the ball. Defense means nothing, it's all about outscoring your oppenents, as that's what the new rules dictate.

We need to draft o-linemen rounds 1 - 3. We're OK at receiver and QB and RB means nothing in the NFL either.

I hate this, which is why I'm trying to not care about the NFL, but either keep up with the Joneses or linger in mediocrity.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I agree with this. #24 is not too high for the top guard in the draft. In fact, if the guy is really a total stud like DeCastro is supposed to be, it could be a downright bargain. It also puts us in much, much better position to trade up if we need to, unlike being at #31 last year, where trading up to #20 was almost impossible.

Gilbert (24 next year) - DeCastro (22)- Pouncey (23) - Foster/FA/Rookie (27/22) - Colon (29)

That would be a major improvement from recent years, and every one of them would be nice and young.

I'd be happy to spend picks 2-5 on a CB, ILB, OG, and NT, in BPA order.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

I hope they would want to trade the pick and get more 2nd and 3rd round choices. I've liked those picks over the 3-4 years than what we have gotten out of the 1st round.

9. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Defense is now moreso geared toward making splash plays. Physical intimidation is no longer allowed. I don't like this either. But think about it... high scoring games and exciting pick 6's and/or fumble recoveries. That's the new defense. That's why GB, NO, NE, etc. have low ranked defense but make stops and score more points. The splash plays. The current stats don't reflect that, but it's what I think I'm seeing...

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

If an offer to Wallace is not matched we lose him and get a #1. I wonder if the Steelers would go that route.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

This is kind of my thinking too...I like Sylvestor but havent seen enough of him to see if he has what it takes to be a main player instead of just a BU/STer.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind its not set they will draft 24th...they could potentially be a couple spots lower than that 26-27th or so also. I'd like them to draft higher, but we have to see who doesnt make the SB first.

12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I hope
    Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Amen!!

1. OL
    2. ILB
    3. NT (make sure he has pass rush abilities)
    4. OL
    5. S ( make sure he has cornerback like skills)
    6. CB
    7. OLB

whoever is the best player available at either OL, ILB, or NT would be my choice at number 1 pick.

14. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011

so he can instigate fights and get ejeccted after gettin his ass burned for 4-148-2 td's?! that guy is a piece of **** after the character he showed in the capital one bowl!

15. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I really don't follow college Football.In March or April,I find out who's in the draft and read up on the best players at their positions.I do have a wishlist for the Steelers before the draft.Usually,They never pick who I want them to.I'll leave that up to them since they have a great track record for getting the right people.I hope we draft a young,Quality CB in the draft.
    We need to draft well.Cinci is on the rise in our division,The rats are tough as ever,and If the Stains get a QB(Robert Griffin)They will be on the right track? Let's infuse some youth on both sides of the ball.We are getting young quick with all the old-timers departing next year. HERE WE GO STEELERS,HERE WE GO!!

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

The best o-lineman available need left tackle or secondary help anybody that knows how to play pass defense.

17. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011

Best OL and DL available, maybe a big, physical receiver and QB to groom.

Put woodley at end and switch to a 4-3. maybe, don't know if Heyward would be a 4-3 end or tackle or if they have the personnel for that, but the run is an after thought in this league now, so the 3-4 may have 'run' it's coarse.

18. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011

Two biggest problems/shortcomings of 2012 Steelers, in my opinion, these must be addressed ASAP:

Offensive Line: I believe the plan is currently, LT-Gilbert, LG- Legursky, C- Pouncey, RG- Foster, RT- Colon
    Personally, I am not 100% convinced that Gilbert is good enough to play left but we'll see, I think we will bring Max back for insurance althought he may start season on PUP depending on ACL, should be cheap backup. Legursky is a good dude but I believe a little small and weak to be a starter, don't mind him being backup, this needs to be addressed either through free agency or draft for sure! Pouncey is amazing he just has to stay healthy, I hope this does not become a chronic thing with him. Foster seemed to come into his own this year and has locked this position down for now. Colon is a big question mark to me, season ending injuries twice in a row, hopefully he comes back healthy and with his nasty streak in tact. Kemo has to go for many reasons, Essex and Scott I can take or leave as possible swing tackle backups, Essex may have edge because he can also play center. We must protect Ben better, no more 3 man rush pressure, RIDICULOUS! That cost us a chance at a game winning FG on Sunday on last drive.

Pass Rush or lack there of:
    We have got to get back to pressuring the QB, I don't know why our Linemen and ILB's cannot get anymore? If it is not Woodley or Harrison we basically get no sacks! We need guys like Worilds and Carter to add strength to their speed so they can actually get to the QB, Our DL is definitely aging and at Nose Tackle we will now have Hampton sitting on his butt for months and months while his ACL is rehabbed, I would be shocked if he can get in shape and healthy in time for the season, he may be a cap casualty, gotta get a replacement here. I think Heyward flashed a few times this year and will make a huge jump next year, Ziggy seems to be flatlining a bit, wondering if they can turn him into a nose tackle? Remember if we can fix our pass rush, our secondary gets even better, but we have to get back to being a 50 sack team again.

Other wishes definitely include a new Kicker and a young, fast, safety to groom behind Clark and Troy

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

We need 2 guards not just 1.

20. grahamburgher

grahamburgher Active Member

Nov 9, 2011

Granted, we need OL help badly, but if you're going by the Bronco game (and much of the previous several seasons), I'd put DB ahead of OL in terms of need.

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

i would like a line like this
    starks - decastro/zietler- pouncey- colon - gilbert

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

When Hampton and Smith were in their prime they at least pushed the pocket back enough to make the QB feel uncomfortable, which helped the OLB's get the sack or a turnover. That hasn't happened all year and is the extra dimension we are missing.

23. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011

The reason GB, NO and NE defense score more points and make stops is because their offense can score in 2 to 3 plays at anytime. The opposing offense has to start throwing the ball all over the place to keep up and that is when mistakes happen.

I disagree however that RB means nothing. I believe if you have an O-line like GB, NO and NE and a stud RB you don't need to put up 50 points. You need long sustained drives of 10 to 15 plays eating up 8 to 10 minutes but MUST score a TD. Keep the opposing offense off the field like we did to the PATS this year and you can win any game.

Blitz

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

a draft i could love.

1. jonathan martin LOT stanford young, tough, agile,smart
    2. markelle martin FS/SS okla. st. smart, playmaker,tough as nails, plays all over the field, good pass defender
    3. sergio kelemete OT/OG wash. strong, mobile, some pouncey qualities to his game.
    4. jerry franklin ILB ark. smart, big, tough, fast, is a good pass defender and run stopper
    5. joe looney OG wake forest mobile, solid player flying under the radar, could be a steal at this pick.
    6. wes kemp WR mizzou smart ,big , fast steal of a WR. very good blocker, big target that can run. has also played as a lead blocker out of the backfield.
    7. nicolas jean-baptiste DT baylor i just like the kids game. not flashy but makes plays. tough on the inside.

all these are doable at the spot we pick and would add needed speed, intelligence and skills to this team. :cool:

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Whoever the the Dlineman are they need to have passing rushing ability.