1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 22nd pick the Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The way Ben was pressured during the playoff game sure seems to me like we need some more help on the OL

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It also shows that value of having good pass rushers. We didn't do nearly enough to pressure Flacco.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we also have dumped alot of money at the defense SG. 3 LB'ers are 1st rd. picks the other is a 2nd and was franchised for near 10 mil. last year. we have a #1 and #2 on the D-line out of 3 positions. we have a #1 at safety. i don't see why we wouldn't spend a #1 pick on a top LT. are we going to lowball beachum? shouldn't he be then paid as a starting LT? if we move him to guard and pay him a guard wage thats fair and have him as our backup LT too, wouldn't that help us? we would get 4 and have an option for the 5th year out of a top LT and upgrade our LG spot by doing this.:cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn't be opposed to taking a top-tier left tackle at pick #22, however I'm not sure that Cam Erving is that top-tier tackle. In fact, I think he may have cemented himself as a top-tier center with his play this season. He was good as a left tackle, but not great. As a center, he dominated. I think that as a left tackle he's limited in quickness setting himself against speed. He could probably be a really nice left guard too.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with this. We need OLBs and CBs. We need to draft at least two each at these positions. Then I would bring in a couple of undrafted free agents at these positions as well. Some way we have to generate a pass rush. I don't think Worilds or Harrison will be back. That leaves Jarvis Jones and I'm not sold on him yet.

1. OLB
    2. CB
    3. OLB
    4. CB
    5. TE
    6. RB
    7. OT

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As I can agree with this but we just have other pressing needs then OL. I'm not opposed to taking a lineman in later rounds but our focus has to be on defensive in the form of a pass rusher.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    trading down and up if we manage to pick in not this particular order
    nate orchard antony harris and marcus peters in the first 3 rounds would be awesome
    then an ot rb te
    and another cb in the sevent

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you for stating this Kevin Colbert. OF course the Steelers do not draft for need.:hmmm:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's as good of a LT as is in this draft. he's definately got the feet and game for any position on the line but make no mistake LT is his best spot. Fla. St. just needed there most versitile guy to make the move after two centers went down this year. he's better than schereff and collins, and even before ogbuhi went down. he's the real deal and i would love to grab him. the line would be nearly complete and our offense would flourish with a good line. it would become steady instead of streaky. beachum would also be very valuable at LG next to him.:cool:

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Had a chance to watch some film on prospect over the weekend and came away impressed enough with one guy I hadn't considered before to make him my new target for our #1: Quentin Rollins, CB, Miami (OH).

I've watched Marcus Peters (yawn), Trae Waynes (ok), Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (stud), and Quentin Rollins. I think Peters is a joke and want nothing to do with him. Waynes is solid yet unspectacular. Olomu would be my first choice if not for his knee injury.

And that leaves Rollins. The guy is a heat-seeker at CB with some very nice ball skills (set record for steals on the basketball team). Good size, right around the magical 6', 200-lb area, and looks athletic. Miami (OH) went 2-something this past season, but that shouldn't impact Rollins. There's more to learn on him (and I haven't checked out PJ Williams yet) but from what I saw I'm excited enough to elevate him to #22. I think he's that good. If CB isn't his spot I think he'd make a fine FS with his willingness to hit and his awareness/instinct for thieving the ball.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    GB, you and I agree on most of this stuff and I have to say, I still think we do on this catbird.

while I do like some others like cam erving as an O-lineman in the first, this kid impressed me also. I wouldn't have a problem if we went this route. the second pick then gives us a lot of options like kikaha or Anthony harris or any other turn they may take at that point.

I'm really leaning towards harris though. if this shook out in this fashion, I could see this kid and cortez as our opening day starters and gay back to his nickel spot. we would then have Mitchell, shamarko, harris ( if he's our 2nd) and possibly troy covering the backside. not ideal in my mind but functional if harris and Thomas play. my problem is the two high priced backups in troy and Mitchell. that's for another day. LOL

McCain, blake, webb and possibly another later draft pick would leave us with a pretty decent defensive backfield to work with no matter which of these guys is kept around.

i'll have to wait and see what we do with these futures guys like fogg and a couple of others we have brought in, but I'm not expecting much. I think we are bringing in a ton of safety types though. that is more in line with fogg and lewis and dangerfield. seems like we are stocking up more on safety right now. is that because we are going to keep troy? or are we planning for his departure?:cool: