1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 22nd pick the Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 15, 2015.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have no idea, but we can eliminate these positions from consideration in the first round DE,RB,QB,OG,WR,ILB. It's more likely to be S,OLB,CB, at least Colbert won't be wasting any mid round picks on a QB Landry Jones or a scatback Archer in this draft :facepalm:.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll probably get skewered for this but what if we can trade down to get a NT? Maybe Green Bay who has needs at NT wants to jump ahead of Detroit, who picks right after us. Depending on Suh and Fairley, Detroit may be in need of a DT as well (Probably Goldman??) If GB takes Shelton for example, Malcolm Brown (Texas) would still be there at 30-32 imo. Plus we get whatever picks it takes to compensate for the jump.

I know NT isn't a pressing need. Especially with McClendon and Shade Tree. But we could move McClendon to more of a DE role where I thought he projects better. This is not a indictment of his play. Just think the extra weight he put on may contribute to his injuries this year. This is speculation, I wouldn't know for certain.

If we have "multiple" fronts, SM90 can be DT/DE. That may be a nice rotation with Heyward and Tuitt. Brown (or whoever) can rotate in with Shade Tree. If those two monsters force double teams, that can free up the DEs to maximize their one on one's in pass rush and help with the run defense for the LBers.

We can use the extra picks on the best available DBs and OLBs in rnds 2 and 3.

The Worilds situation and FA would have a bearing on this, since its so early.

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Not from me you won't!

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk about skewered turtlefart, but I wouldn't take a NT in the first round. We need to have a game changer on the defensive side of the ball and I just don't know how much better a NT would make us. We spend so much time in nickel anymore with more 4 man fronts that a NT wouldn't see the field enough to make a big enough impact for us.

I'd prefer a pass rusher or a defensive back of any kind in the first round. We have such glaring needs at those spots that a stud could make a big difference in making us a much better defensive unit.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This right here. As little as NT's are on the field in our system, you're not maximizing your value vs production unless he's an absolute terror (there is no one of that caliber in this draft).

Don't get me wrong...I like Shelton. Depending on who else is available, I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick. It's too early for me to evaluate potential trade scenarios, but can Brown even play 0 tech? Seems like a little bit of a stretch to me, as I've only seen him play 3 and 5 etc. The trade scenario you propose would realistically net an extra 3rd, and maybe a back end pick IMO.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good to know, wasn't sure how the points graded out. Proposal was just a thought for discussion.

Ngata 49% of snaps in 12 games
    Sammie Hill 51% in 15
    Wilfork 73% in 16
    Liuget 73% also in 16

for reference on snap counts.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, they use DT's much more in their systems than the Steelers do.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Right. It was a plausible scenario if Shelton happened to still be there IMO.
    Almost every year I hope they trade and gain an extra pick or two. Maybe if I hope they don't this year, they will. :)

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One on nfl.Com has them taking a FS. Supposed to be a ball magnet but weak in run support. Holliman from Louisville.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    14 INTs speaks volumes and at one point I had him pegged as a 1st round possibility for us but I am starting to see alot of holes in his overall game. Looks more like a 2nd round pick who could have problems. You can't question his instincts though.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't think we can eliminate OG in the first round. Foster is junk. Sometimes you can get the best guard in the class at 20-25.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wilfork is a unique talent. You often see prospects compared to him, but he's a special player That can't be taken off the field. Liuget is a DE in the Chargers' system who drops inside on passing downs, so I consider him to be more comparable to Heyward in our system.

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
  15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think we absolutely can. I'd drop OT from the first round consideration too unless top 5 talent drops all the way to 22. How can we afford all these stud linemen? We just paid Pouncey and Gilbert, and will very likely be extending DeCastro and Beachum who have both been very good for us. That would make our line one of the highest paid in the league. Not that there is anything wrong with buying a top OL, but remember we still need to pay Ben, AB again, and Bell will get paid too. Would you rather have top Guard pick instead of any of those guys? He'll no. Foster isn't great, but he's decent at a good price. Too much money on offense if we keep taking offensive players at the top of the draft, and we will never be able to fix our defense. The only way we will see our defense turn around is by spending top picks on that side of the ball, or spending a little money in free agency.

I doubt an interior lineman gets drafted at all by us. If we do go OL, it will be a tackle I think... And it won't be until at least the 4th-5th round or later.v

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have gone defense #1 the last two years. we have a late 7th rounder and an UDFA guarding our QB's backside. gilbert shouldn't have gotten that contract before we squared up that side of the o-line.

I absolutely would take a camron erving with the first pick if he's there. he's as much of a sure thing as there is in this draft. stick him at LT and move beachum to LG if we are going to pay him anyway and we have solved our LT-LG and backup LT problem with one guy.

we just signed hubbard for another year for a backup at guard and have Wallace as another interior player. foster and adams are both expendable for some money room. alejandro villaneueva would be the swing tackle in reserve.:cool:

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

what do you think about Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M , seems is sliding in the bottom of the second do the acl recover ....?

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have bigger needs than OG to be taking one in the first round. If there was a LT at 22 then yes, another OG no way in the first round.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers don't draft for need remember? ;)

There is no way to rule out a guard or tackle, regardless of what positions seem to be bigger needs today.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah we learned that last year not drafting for need, they waited until the 5th rd to take a CB and he can't play :facepalm:

21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't view Beachum as a late 7th rounder anymore, I view him for the player he has proven himself to be. He's a pretty good NFL LT.

I guess I'm just worried about over investing in one unit at the expense of the rest of the team. If we spend all our money on the line, we will end up like Dallas having to chose between our best two skill players. Which one stays and which one goes? Personally, I'd like to keep AB and Bell BOTH in our uniform for a while.... Why not pursue a reasonable FA to play guard if you're so set on replacing Foster, and use our first round pick elsewhere?

At the end if the day we can't afford pro bowl caliber players at every position. Guys like Foster (or McLendon and Gay for that matter) are very valuable. If someone can be a starting caliber player for very little money, it allows us the freedom to spend at other positions where we desperately need good players (CB,S,OLB). We need to invest wisely, and I fear another big investment (and unnecessary one at that) in the OL could sink us at another position and keep our defense stuck in mediocrity.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have a question regarding your reluctance to have a lot of #1 picks in one position, the o-line for example. I have read this argument before on other forums etc, especially two years ago. A lot of people didn't want to draft oline because we had Pouncey, Decastro, and Gilbert/Adams were 2 rnders. Like you stated, they didn't want a lot of money tied up in that particular position(s). Wouldn't we have to pay the salary for first rounders whatever position they play? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just looking for your reasoning. I'm just talking strictly financial. I understand, and agree, you wouldn't want to keep getting 1st rnders year after year at the same position because you would be doing a disservice to the rest of your team and adding top talent to only one area. Just your thoughts in case I'm missing something.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes, we would have to pay that player the same salary regardless of which position he plays. He will get paid the 22nd highest in the draft. My only problem with taking LT is that it is a big money position, and we are already in pretty good position at LT. We know Beachum is a pretty good LT... gambling in the draft on a guy who will have to be darn good to be any type of an upgrade just doesn't make sense to me. If Beachum wasn't any good, I'd be all for a LT. But we seem to be good at OL IMO.

Lets say say for arguments sake that we take a tackle this year at 22. If he turns out to be a good player, we likely won't be able to afford him after his first contract is up. The top level NFL LT's make around 10-12mil a season. However, if we do pay him that leaves us with huge investments all across the board on the line. Pouncey makes 8+, Gilbert close to 6, Beachum should make more than Gilbert simply because he plays left, and DeCastro will be looking at a contract similar to Pouncey when his rookie deal is up. This could cause us to have a cap casualty or two that we won't like. Bell is gonna be paid like the top RB, AB merits top money at the WR position. Timmons makes a lot. Heyward will be looking at a new contract soon too. Who are you letting go?

I just think it's a better investment on our end to pay Beachum and DD, and look for a serviceable LG that won't break the bank. We can use that money elsewhere where it will make a bigger impact on our team. We are too weak at other positions to be unnecessarily dumping money all in one place. Hope my long winded explanation helps turltefart lol

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I gotcha. I love the big uglies,(as I'm sure you do), but I know you have to spread the wealth.

On another note, I like Foster, he gives some attitude and IIRC is our player rep. So the players must have some respect for him. I would rather upgrade RT. Still not sold on Gilbert, though he did make some strides this year towards the end. I'd trade Adams for a wooden nickel.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the importance of the position should be brought into account. we don't really have a backup for beachum either. i've always said one of our two 2nd rounders should go. keeping beachum and getting another LT will not really change things. we need to pay beachum and have a backup worthy of that spot. beachum will be a two for one contract. starting LG and backup LT, so we are not really paying for two spots. (a new LG and a backup LT)

there are 5 players across the o-line. no other group on the team is made up of that many players. paying them is not a waste of money. gilbert didn't exactly earn that contract, but we did it anyway. that was a huge waste of funds. whats the difference in paying a new LOT and then having to pay adams too next year for sub par play as your backup that is iffy? you are also spending that money to get the most out of AB, Ben and bell which is protecting those big investments.

soon we will have to make a decision on heath and there is the money you need to re-sign someone down the road. :cool: