1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 20th pick in the 2019 draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 21, 2019.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Sorry, I haven't seen Asserly in the top 50 overall prospects yet. Reminds me of Ricardo Coclough stretch a few years back..... I'm a NO. Consequently file this under meaningless info.... watched the Draft Network mock draft today, and they projected Greedy Williams CB, LSU to the Steelers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's fine whatever weight he needs to play at....oh and brush up on your math.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We don't need another Senquez Golson :shrug:

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    How about a Mike Hilton?

Anyone discounting Murphy based off his size haven't seen the tape. Plus I've seen him listed as 180, not 170 anyways. Either way he probably has the best ball skills of any CB I the draft. I take the smaller Murphy or Baker over Greedy Williams any day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't watched a lot of tape on him yet, just some highlights so far.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Even based off highlights, you can see:

Great ball skills.
    Natural hands.
    Great speed.
    Breaks up alot of passes.
    Despite size, can hit hard.
    Sure tackler.

The guy is only a Red Shirt Sophomore.

I'm not saying he is a can't miss prospect, but he looks like a really good one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah it amazes me how people want to base opinions on what they read when the tape shows different. I watched this kid and he has instincts and ball skills things we haven't had back there since Troy. I like this kid and don't care about size.......

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think his weight is one factor to consider when looking at the overall package. He had minimal difficulty on film tackling WRs, but he didn’t look all that hot in run support, and I seem to recall a play where he looked very outmatched tackling a TE. What sways me in his direction is that he consistently breaks on the ball and gets his hands into the mix to break up passes. He also has ball skills up the wazoo. He’s the kind of guy who tracks deflected passes really well and comes up with the ints when other CBs would let the ball hit the ground. Simply put - he looks to me like a potentially elite outside pass defender with questionable bulk/strength to handle bigger offensive players. In today’s NFL that’s well worth anything outside of a top 10 pick. My view may change if I watch more film on him, but for now I’m all in.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

SE no disrespect but the whole he looks good vs wr's but worry about run support kills me. We have talked a lot on here about ball skills, if we have to worry about our CB's stopping the run we have bigger problems. I want a kid that has ball skills over a kid that can stop the run, the NFL is a passing league and also a league that is getting away from the big hits. I get what you and others are saying but I think basing on how we have played vs the pass I would rather have a guy with pure ball skills first than a guy that is a bigger tackler. JMO. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Make the comparrisons:

BYRON MURPHY, CB, WASHINGTON
    The Pac-12’s top corner is a step below the top two on our list, but Murphy should still be a reliable plug-and-play option in his rookie season. The redshirt sophomore makes up for a slender frame with upper-echelon quickness and quality ball skills, using his closing speed to break up passes at the last moment. Murphy is a strong technician with solid instincts.

Murphy’s diminutive stature limits him in press coverage. He’s not a strong tackler and can get exploited in space. His aggressiveness occasionally works against him, overplaying the ball and leading to big plays. The miscues are often worth it, though, when Murphy flies off the screen to create game-changing turnovers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/30/nfl-draft-2019-position-primer-top-defensive-backs

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He may be inconsistent in run support, but he is a very willing tackler. I'll take that and it's up to coaching to make him a more consistent tackler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure what you’re taking issue with. Reread my post. I just said that I see him as worth a pick outside of the top 10 because of how well he projects as a potentially elite pass defender. I acknowledged his potential weaknesses, and said I want him anyway. It was a positive post. Are you taking issue with me acknowledging his potential weaknesses at all? Are you his agent?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, this is what I see on tape. I’d take him all Day at pick 20, and probably higher if we trade up to address corner, or somehow get a top 20 pick in a trade involving AB.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I wasn't taking issue with what you wrote and didn't mean anything by it that was why I said no disrespect and put a smiley there. Many of us here over the years have talked about size of our CB's and how they need to take of other players. I am just pointing out that it is time we start looking at ball skills/playmakers instead of worrying about being able to tackle the big backs. You mentioned that and that was what I was responding to again i wasn't meaning no disrespect.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He's just being more polite and apologetic than a Canadian :lolol: must be close to the Ontario border. :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1