1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 20th pick in the 2016 draft...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Rush2seven, Dec 27, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    another one of those guys like cam heyward? when you lose 2 games in two years, it's a little more than urban legend. just ask urban. :smiley1::cool:

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    1st - Desmond King CB Iowa
    2nd - Darian Thompson FS Boise St
    3rd - Devontae Fields DE/OLB Louisville
    4th - Deiondre Hall CB Northern Iowa
    5th - (Boykin)
    6th - (Scobee)
    7th - Joe Dahl OG Washington St
    7thCOMP - Leon Allen RB Western Kentucy

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    What's wrong with Buckeyes? Heyward is a really good player and Shazier has been pretty good when healthy this season. He's had a few monster games for us.

Idt Bell is a first round guy tho. I guess it will depend on his combine... He's excellent in the box tho, and has pretty good ball skills/hands when he has a chance to use them. He isn't great in coverage tho. Decent, but definitely needs to improve that part of his game.

4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like the positions you went after, minus the FS. We already have a pretty good FS, but have basically nothing at SS outside of Golden (and I'd rather not assume he's the long term answer at that position). I definitely think we need another mid round OLB and an early S and CB.

5. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I look a safeties in our scheme is rather interchangeable.

Mike Mitchell is listed as a FS, but he is definitely a downhill safety. I'm looking for a guy who can run, defend the deep middle, be a playmaker with their hands, etc

When I look at our roster... We have Mike Mitchell as a thumper, and essentially nothing else (although Golden has flashed some this year. shamarko is a dud. Allen is done.)

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I can't stand Ohio State. Shazier has been ok but he hasn't been THAT much of a difference maker. He has spent too much time hurt.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I can see the interchangeable view... Golden and Allen have both played each spot for us at some point this year.

I think you're view of Mitchell is off though. He's a big hitter, but he brings so much more to the D than just being a thumper. He is almost always responsible for a deep third or half of the field (depending on our coverage). We blitz the hell out of Allen/Golden, but we really don't with Mitchell very often. That means he's somewhere on the back end playing deep zone coverage for us. I think he's done a pretty decent job of it too.

If it were me, I'd prefer bringing in a guy who is really good in the box and blitzing over a cover first FS type. If Butler keeps sending the DB's as much as he has this season, we better get a guy who is good at that part of the game. Obviously it would be ideal to get someone who excels at both areas, but I can live with a guy that needs to develop in the back end a little bit. A guy like Landon Collins comes to mind. We should've taken him instead of Dupree IMO. He's exactly the type of player we need.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Come on BFT, everyone loves my buckeyes! No one is without flaws I guess... Hater haha

9. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Mitchell is much better when he breaks to the ball vs when he has to track the ball. He plays a ton of deep 3rd in our cover 3 sets, and he plays them deep (which creates that soft middle that is consistently exposed). When he plays single high in our cover 1 sets he doesn't have the range to make plays on the ball. At his best, he's a half field cover 2 safety. And as we continue to become more of a cover 2 team, the safeties become even more interchangeable.

I like Mitchell a lot, but he's not a range safety, a guy who makes plays on the ball.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't be a hater lil buddy. :smiley1::cool:

11. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Sorry OSU haters, I have only seen their bowl game and knowing in january you can always say which positions are deep but players in round 1 will change a lot from the rankings I will throw my curve ball.

Round 1 Eli Apple CB, OSU
    Fits the steelers mold in round 1 besides positions as underclassman and having good physique and reminds Dupree.
    We can't get the top 2-3 cb's and after that someone that is now projected in round 2-3 can jump after further research.
    Height-weight-speed project and good upside.
    Only 6 foot top corner available - in bowl looked really good outside and we need anybody who could play on #1 WR.

Round 2 Vonn Bell, S OSU
    ...or anybody at safety who can cover!
    We are already good at defending run and Shazier can still emerge in future as the Polamalu style joker player in the box if coaching even wants that.
    With spread formations and emphasis on passing we can't get a safety who is only thumber.
    If Jayron Kearse can cover and move at 220 lbs them he is an option but there is no room for safety who can't make plays in coverage.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Eli Apple would be a great pick. He can cover, catch and tackle. I like Bell too. I would love for us to get our hands on Braxton Miller too. He can fly. To me he's basically a little bit bigger version of Percy Harvin.

13. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Have to look up all these players.

Wow. Jalen Ramsey is a great player. He loves to hit and is great in coverage. You think he goes top 5 huh? Well too bad for us then haha.

Favorite highlight was him ending the game vs Fla with a pick and immediately taking a knee. That's a smart play just give it to your offense to run out the clock. He is a smart player it seems.

14. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I dont like Bell or Kearse. Can anyone point me towards some other S prospects?

Is Sua Cravens fast enough to play S? I think he will be a Will in a 3-4 or a WLB in a 4-3. Probsbly his best fit.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep he will probably go top 5 no doubt top 10 . His tape is very good he can play in any scheme .He can play CB or FS and is good enough to be 1 of the best in the NFL for a long time ... He is a Franchise Defender the best we will see in a long time...

With the state of our Defense well worth 2 #1 picks , heck I would throw a player in there if need be...He should be the target at all cost ... With him on D and Ben on O we have a legit shot to win 3 or 4 more rings before Ben retires well worth the pick, which I know KC will just stay put and play it safe like always ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to pull a Ditka one year and trade all your picks for a chance to move up to take Ramsey.

Steelers need a CB and a SS and I'm not sure they'll get either in the 1st with what is left over.

Steelers are well-stocked everywhere else. Need some depth on the OL and DL but I think AV has answered the LT question, Jesse James will turn intona serviceable TE who can at least be a stop gap for a year or two, and Foster isn't really a problem just an area that can be upgraded.

I mean that if there ever was a time to go all out to get a top defender this might be it.

If you look at the 2013 draft the Steelers could have taken Rhodes or Trufant and didn't.

That would have been best. A lot of people wanted Marcus Peters last year.

Let's be honest, if he played for the Steelers he would not have 8 INTs... he would be sitting on the bench with Boykin watching Blake get burned and miss tackles over and over. People would be wondering if he was a bust because he couldn't start with this group. Haha.

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    If I was a team with the #1 pick, and I had my franchise QB in place, I'd take Jalen Ramsey #1 overall. I think he's that good. Game changing good.

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I haven't seen him play or watched any pre-draft highlight reels or tape yet, but from everything I've read thus far, he seems legit. I guess it's a matter if you prefer a LT (Tunsil), OLB (Bosa), or CB (Ramsey).

Any word on the guys character? That was a major turn-off for me with Peters last year, but he seemed to be squeaky clean his rookie season.