1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the #20 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 22, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I'm starting to come around this being the guy, I think AQL has been mentioning him lately as the Steelers pick at#20 also. Colbert said the defense needs playmakers, well Savage ran a 4.3 at the combine, he also had 7 ints the last 2 seasons.

2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I think Savage is the only top rated safety the Steelers had in for a visit, he also is getting some love on twitter with people saying he's going in the first round.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As dumbfounded as others would be, I would not be shocked nor surprised if Savage is the pick. Sean Davis is going bye bye anyways come 2020 as I doubt he either wants to play here and/or prices himself out of Pittsburgh all together. Why wait until then?!

Sans Chauncey, whom I do not believe is going to last very long anyway, Darnell is really the only other option I can think of playmaking wise for the Steelers. Keep in mind that while Kevin Colbert did directly allude to trading up this year via his Pre Draft Conference today, it all depends on how the board breaks. In short?! Where is Devin White going.

Should Devin White somehow slip past Tampa, I would assume that is when Kevin is immediately picking up that phone to teams 7 to 10. Within that same vein, is Devin White truly worth the price?! He is no RoQuan Smith, a prodigy in my opinion.

Should neither be selected, keep an eye on Deionte Thompson from Alabama. Granted, Pittsburgh has not met with him directly. Bringing the house though at Alabama's Pro Day though means there will be some surprises. Deionte should be one of them should both CGJ and Savage Jr. be out of reach.

4. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I also believe that Savage will be our first pick (unless Bush or White are still available). I'm sensing Winovich in the second round.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Savage as well. I see 3 safety looks. All tackle well and have corner speed. All have played various positions.:cool:

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's my take on Savage.

I don't want to compare him to #43, but his style is closer to Troy Polamalu than it is Earl Thomas.

Even though he may physical attributes that people look for in a single high safety, his style is more of a playmaker within 10 yards of the LOS. He is not great deep in the middle of the field. He is not great playing man to man.

What he is great is diagnosing plays quickly and flying down hill towards the LOS to make a play. He is very fast and very aggressive.

If we did take him at #20 it would make last year's selection of Edmunds even more puzzling. Even though Edmunds is bigger, I think the hope was that he would become the type of player that Savage is.

I think most people know I am more of a pure FS guy such as Nasir Adderly or CGJ.

I do agree with those that think he could be the pick. He checks alot or boxes of attributes the Steelers covet. Colbert drafted Troy P and I'm sure every year he is trying to find the next #43 because he knows the benefit a great playmaking Safety can be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Savage in the 1st and Winovich in the 2nd wouldn't be bad. I still prefer a corner in the 1st because I see it being a lot easier to get a future starting safety on day 2, than a future starting corner on day 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My personal belief is that the Steelers are in love with Devin Bush, and will trade up to take him. It's just a gut feeling I have, but I think the Steelers like Bush more than White. I would hate to see the Steelers trade up for a player that may be available at 20 anyway, but that is what I see happening.

As for Savage I just dont see the need. We just drafted Edmund's last year. Davis is a lot more solid than people give him credit for. We have to many needs to worry about 2020 right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I completely agree with you. I just have a bad feeling that they may go safety with their first pick for the second year in a row. Some good safeties should still be available for us in the third round.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am going with BPA. Clellen Ferrell, The Dud Dupree era is OVER.
    I am hoping some QB hungry team slides him right to us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I’m starting to really like Ferrell if available at #20. I watched a few more of his games last night, and the more I watch, the more I see a young Justin Houston.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Trading up for a DT or TE. :hehehe:

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    As I watched Ferrell the past 2 seasons I really thought he compared well to Bradley Chubb. Very similar body types and style. This is why I had him as a top 10 guy right up until the end of the season.

And then I started to watch more tape and I started to see things which made me question that assessment. The one thing I really didn't like was the # of sacks that came against TEs and RBs. But then I watch him go against Jonah Williams, one of the best pass protectors in the draft, and he dominated.

I know there isn't a 40 time for Ferrell but as far as height, weight, arm length, hand size, bench, 3 cone and short shuttle, he does compare similarly to Chubb. Another thing I did see upon re watching the tape is that Ferrell did indeed drop into coverage more than I remembered.

I remember when TJ Watt came out I thought he was gonna Max out as a 6-8 sacks per year guy. I was clearly wrong. I think if Ferrell is going to succeed and be a 10+ sacks per year guy it could be based off similar traits as Watt. Determination, motor, hand placement and sheer will to be great. Ferrell has great production, character, leadership and is a champion.

It would be tough to argue against him.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Davis doesn't make enough plays though, and he will be a free agent in 2020, he also hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent probably pricing himself out of Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Trade Dupree first and foremost. Chickillo can start until Ola or a draft pick is ready. The ILB position is weak so if they trade up, possibly package Dupree and grab Bush. White will be gone I feel. If Greedy Williams falls you take him. The kid Ya-Sin would be a reach as Tomlin loves him. He loved Burns to. Ferrell would bring intensity to the position opposite Watt.

It's anybody's guess but its imperative that the first 2 pick contribute if not start right away. I expect a defensive heavy draft. They will probably take a receiver :lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My wild card pick would be Brian burns. I have liked him for a long time now. I think he and tj could wreak havoc on this defense.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think we take someone at #20... instead, I think we could possibly trade with one of the following teams: Giants (17), Atlanta (14) or maybe even Detroit (8)..

Being from MD and watching some UMD games, I don't think Savage is a right type of player for us... Do we all not remember Davis... and he was from MD..

I think if we trade up to:

8- we are going for D. White from LSU

14- Possibly a TE? Maybe one of the two from Iowa

17- Means we get Bush from Mich.

Does anyone think we take a WR in rd 1?

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with most of this . I also feel if Bush gets within 5-7 picks they are gonna try to go get him. I think the ILB position is definitely in Colberts head. Where I disagree is your opinion on Davis. I didn't think he was a great FS option going into last season and I don't things great coming out of it. The problem I have with Savage is I agree with SteelCity NB and I didn't think he answers the FS question either. So that means somewhere along the line we will still have to address it. Could we get by with Davis as a FS again ? I believe so, providing he stays healthy. There have been some durability concerns. If he goes down we're in trouble. Savage would have the make a move to FS,which isn't his strength and would be asking a lot from a rookie,to play on a island.

What would be the plan with Savage? Use him at FS as a rookie? I don't think they move Davis again for someone whose strength doesn't lie at FS. SS? Edmunds is there. So are we looking at sub-package DLB or SS and bump Edmunds to DLB?(something I wouldn't mind) . I can see something like that working but it still doesn't address FS if Davis gets hurt this year or the future at the position. On the other hand if we wait a round or two to get a true FS,whose strength is at FS ,the transition would be smoother and have a higher chance of not hurting us should a injury occur. We also have guys (Barron,Allen and Dangerfield ) who can play some SS/DLB. They used Allen in that fashion late in the season. Maybe not the best options,but at least they are options. At FS? Who?

Whether it's popular or not I don't see them passing on Bush if he's available or in range of a trade. If not I would immediately turn our focus to Edge. (Ferrell,Burns) . ILB then becomes a priority in the 2nd or 3rd the latest. Where I can also see a trade up scenario. If we can get a combination of ILB,FS and Edge in the first 3 rounds I think it's a major accomplishment. I just don't see a immediate need for a S whose strength is what we already have and neglecting again a true ball hawk this D has been missing for years. Unless we draft both FS and SS in the first 4 rounds ( highly unlikely) we will be having this same conversation next draft. JMO

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He did answer the questions about his weight at the Combine. While he and Ferrell bring a few different tools to the table, I think both styles can work. The only thing with Burns is if there any character concerns because Ferrell passes that test with flying colors. That seems the be justifiably of great importance for this team in lieu of the past few months.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Man I really appreciate your evaluations. They are spot on. The only real question about Ferrell is his bend,that's about it. He did very well against Jonah like you said but in the NFL he will be going up against "Jonahs" regularly. I'd like to see a little more slipperiness in his game. Maybe that will come down the road as he perfects his craft. Right now he converts speed to power a hundred times better than Dupree and his hand fighting/ placement is ahead as well. I know it's just me but I'm not concerned with his coverage at all. He has shown glimpses that he is capable. Maybe not great at it but I don't care. I want Watts equal on the other side. The only other knock may be he has only shown to be effective from the ROLB spot. Not really a big deal because TJ is playing well at the LOLB spot.

I agree with all his attributes you listed and his "motor" runs hot. I saw a play watching a breakdown where he covered the TE in the right flat,then broke it off to chase the scrambling QB clear across the field. The kid seems to have a desire to be great and has proven to come up big in the biggest games. Only our coaching staff knows what we have behind Dupree. If they aren't very confident in the successors I can see OLB being a much bigger need/want than we know. I wouldn't be surprised or upset if Ferrell is the pick. I do think Bush is first for them though....jmo

21. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be awesome, would take that all day but I don't think gets out of the top 10.

23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll take that theoretical bet. I can't possibly see him going top 10. Doubtful he gets to 20 though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Savage feels like Edmunds all over again. Another kind of obscure safety who, I haven't heard considered a first-round pick. Not until very recently anyway. If they traded down in the first, grabbed him there and then used the capital from the trade to trade back up in the second for another good player, then maybe.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Brian Burns has never met with the team, Combine, Pro Day, Pre Draft Visit or otherwise. I seriously doubt he is in the cards. Same goes for Montez Sweat.

It does stink though without question. What the team sees in Dupree that many of us are not seeing is intriguing indeed. "Sunk Cost Fallacy" perhaps?!