1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 15th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Steelers select.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Badboy212, May 7, 2014.

1. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    My choice would be Brandin Cooks. You can't teach 4.1 speed and his last college year was better than any other WR. He is instant offense if just to take the top off defense's and as a return man. If SF and Philly are trading down he might be where they're looking.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I do like cooks. I wouldn't be unhappy with a receiver like him.:cool:

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's short. :smiley1:

4. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I'll go with
    a trade with the Green Bay Packers to the 21st pick
    and then we select Kyle Fuller

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Honestly, at this point I would be thrilled with ANY of the CBs.

Fuller is the most likely to be there. He's well-rounded, and a good fit for us. Maybe not the same ceiling as the other guys, but seems like a can't-miss pick.

Dennard is the press-coverage champion and physical and aggressive, and although he's less of a fit for most of our defense, I don't think Dick LeBeau would have trouble locking him up on a guy like he did with Ike Taylor for so many years.

Gilbert is the playmaking, kick returning, athletic wonder that would fit our defense, minus the one exception: tackling. But my position is that I just don't care.

He's not crazy about running up there and nailing a RB. I get it. I care about run support from our DBs. But am I the only one that doesn't really care this time?

I understand that we have a reputation as a physical, hard-hitting defense. Definitely not a bunch of pansies. I like that reputation. I like that we've had Troy, Clark, Ike, Gay, McFadden... DBs that will come up and bring down a RB at the line of scrimmage without hesitation. And no one likes to make fun of Deion Sanders more than me. But in our specific situation it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

1. We already have plenty of guys in the backfield that are not afraid to come take on the RB. Troy, Gay, Cortez, Ike, and Shamarko are all strong in run support. Mitchell is a bit of a wild card to me. I haven't followed him closely, but I've read he has had some issues tackling. That's not good, but on the other hand he's a physical, powerful hitter, so I'm sure physicality and willingness are not the issue, like it could be with Gilbert.

2. Say what you want about our linebackers, but willingness to run and crash and stop the run is not their issue either. Worilds, Timmons, Williams, Garvin - all guys that play tough. Even the underwhelming rookie season from Jarvis Jones featured better than expected run support, and he'll only get better. Sean Spence can run and hit, and I don't see us adding a linebacker anytime soon that isn't very physical.

3. When was the last time we had a threat at CB? Rod Woodson? Townsend was good. Ike could shut guys down sometimes. But even when Ike was allowing 1 catch for 8 yards per game, QBs were never afraid of him because they knew the worst that could happen was an incompletion. I can't think of a Steelers CB in my adult life that imposed fear on QBs. A guy like Gilbert, if he pans out, would make QBs think twice about going his way, and get us some sorely needed turnovers.

4. I believe that out of every piece of the cornerback puzzle, that's the easiest one to teach. It's a way of looking at things, and it can be coached. Deion Sanders fundamentally believed that he shouldn't have to tackle anyone, because it wasn't his job. To him, that's what the other 10 guys were for. That isn't going to fly in Pittsburgh. I think Gilbert would be serviceable against the run for us. Add in his athleticism*, ball skills*, and general knack for turnovers*, and the fact the rest of our back 7 is NOT going to be weak against the run, and it seems like a minor compromise to me. It seems like a smaller compromise than Dennard being more questionable in off-coverage.

*Things we are desperate for.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My second tier guys are: Mosley, Shazier, Ebron, Verrett, Lewan, and Beckham Jr.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I actually re watched 3 Dennard games last night to see if I was overdoing the lack of scheme fit, and concluded that I wasn't. Maybe he can be great in a zone or off man scheme, but there's no way to tell because he was almost constantly in press man. Also, he is grabby to the extreme. He may very well lead the league in defensive holding and PI calls when he becomes a starter. Is he a bad player? No, I don't think so. Is he an elite corner? I don't see it. I see a player with a low 1st round grade. On Benjamin. .. I'll pass. I think he has huge bust potential. I could easily see him bulking up too much to be a WR by 2015. For me, I wouldn't even consider him until the 3rd.

8. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Fuller, then hopefully Jordan Matthews in 2nd.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just a question for my fellow draftniks. Many are saying that Dennard would not fit the Steelers scheme because he's more of a physical, press coverage guy than a guy that can work with 10 yards off the line with a cushion, which the Steelers seem to want to do. But...haven't we all been clamoring for a CB who mans up on the WR off the LOS??? That cushy stuff drives most of us bonkers! I hate 3rd and 8 when we're giving the receiver a 10 yard cushion! I'd like to see us play ALOT MORE PRESS!

10. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    If he is the pick, it is a sign to me that DL may have all the parts for his symphony to make beautiful music again.
    All parts of his D have to be working for it to be effective. No matter how good he is in press-man, you can't make him do it for 6-8 seconds +. The guys up front have to be able to finally get some pass rush. That leads to sacks, hurried throws, and-heaven forbid-PICKS.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I'm good with this ....I really wanted that BIG WR....but with Evans and Ebron off...probably a little early for Benjamin....I doubt Benjamin makes it past Carolina now...

HACK