1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wish we had someone like this on D again. Congrats TP

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by sjromano, Jan 7, 2019.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That video got me a bit emotional. I don't think we'll ever see a player like Troy ever again. He was truly one of a kind. We just haven't had a true game changer like him since. I sure do miss watching that dominant defence. I miss being the Steelers team that opposing QB's feared playing. It just hasn't been the same in a long time. It's frustrating but also sad. Guys like Ward, Troy, Clark, Harrison, when a play was needed, when a message needed to be sent, they got the job done. We just don't have anyone like that anymore. When a play is needed, our guys fold. I'm tired of it.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I'm not downplaying Reed's ability to bait QBs and get picks. The guy is like in the top 5 of career ints ever in the NFL.

You're right that they played the position differently. Troy was more in your face and all over the field. Both played at the same time. Can't imagine having the two players on the same team. Would have been fun to see though. They'd of complimented each other perfectly.

3. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Troy was beast. Case closed.

4. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Troy was a great one no doubt, but I'm not sure he was even the greatest Steeler SS of all time. Donnie Shell wasn't too shabby either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given today's pass happy standards and multi role usage of the safety position, Troy is the progenitor of what NFL GM's and Coaches look for in safeties in today's game; Strong Safeties especially and doubly so. It is very difficult enough to find an elite ballhawking Free Safety prospect. To find a multi role Strong Safety prospect?! That is even more arduous.

The only reason why the latter position has crept up more often in years past was due to the height of Troy's career. Teams scrambled to find the "next one." Initially, it was Kam Chancellor. Now, in my opinion, I believe that Derwin James is tied for being the next in line to carry that mantle; Jamal Adams the other. Alone they are tremendous. Combined? They would be another Troy.

On that note, said statement goes back to what I said. We will see great players at that position. We will never see another Troy. Not next year's draft. Not the 2020 draft. Never again.

6. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Safety? Troy was a safety? Did anyone ever tell him? :hmm::hmm: Geez I think he may have even played nose tackle a couple times....and was good.

I ve been a fan for 42 yrs and hes my favorite.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm....I thought there was some sort of bad feelings there somewhere.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No one knows for certain to be honest. Martin Demoff, who was Polamalu's agent at the time, stated that Polamalu needed time away from the spolight. Most importantly, he states there was no bad blood between Polamalu and the Steelers.

That is the only sure fire information I could find that has been recorded. Not much else. For that matter, anything pertaining to a bad relationship is heresay until otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1