1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wish I had more confidence in beating Detroit.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 24, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Going into the Bengals game I knew that if Steelers played the game fundamentally then there is no way we wouldn't beat them. That was an easy game to predict. Match up wise they didn't stand a chance and it showed.

This game against the Lions will be more difficult to run the table. First of all I hate night games although they do play well for the most part on National TV. The familiarity of the teams are not equivalent to that of a division rivalry or even a conference one. The Lions are coming off a bye week and can put points on the board quickly if we don't play a full 60 minutes. It's indoors so any weather will not be a factor. It seems to be trap game before the bye for us. If the Steelers want to win the division and get a good playoff seed then they need to be fired up for this game and not overlook the Lions.

Anybody else concerned?

I'd rather have a 1 pm or 4:15 game any day. It makes my Mondays so much easier.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I worry about it being Sunday night game, Monday night they would kill them, Sunday is starting to trend more towards them winning but its still 50/50 and THursday Night is basically use the magic8-ball cause who knows. However that being said the Lions OLine can't protect so we Blitz the heck out of them good things happen, Stafford is banged up already. THeir defense is giving up lots so they run like they have been, work the play action and maybe hit some quick slants and things look good.

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I think it's the unfamiliarity that worries me the most. We don't play Chicago much and look what they did. The Jags aren't a familiar opponent either. My theory doesn't hold up against the Vikes, but I'm still sticking with it.

I just don't think our coaching staff game plans well and especially struggles with unfamiliar teams.

I don't think this will be a trap game, because we've got way too much drama going on to take our attention beyond right now. And Tomlin is going to be particularly salty this week.

With that said, I'm concerned with the opponent and which Steeler team is going to show up. Not feeling confident about this week.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Detroit is actually a good team. So I'm not worried. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like to think that the fast indoor track will favor #10 and he has a monster game which really opens the run game for Bell and Conner and we forget about all that's transpired over the past 2 years. :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I consider Lions a finesse team, Steelers need to play power football.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If we score 7s rather than 3s, we will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm very worried. I'm afraid they're going to get down early and Haley decides to start throwing the ball again.

RUN BELL.

If we can play a tight defense and run the ball even remotely close to the way we have recently, we'll win.

Plus, the Lions are a legit good team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There are a number of reasons that make this game tough. The first is that the Lions need to win it to stay in their division race, it is almost a must win situation. Then you have the fact that they are coming off of a bye week and the Steelers are coming off of 2 good games back to back, egos are in full swing now. This is a game in which Tomlin needs to keep his guys grounded and focused, the offense will need to score and score a lot, I have a feeling the secondary is going to collapse. I hate saying that as they have been playing well but Burns has been lucky with bad throws and I can't help thinking the secondary is just a house of cards teetering on the brink of collapse, here is hoping I'm really wrong but this team struggles against teams that throw the ball a lot.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    After losing to the Bears and Jags any game worries me as not knowing which team will show up. The one thing I want to watch is the Lions oline gives up a lot of sacks......we are 2nd in sacks so do we rush 3 and play zone and let Stafford pick us apart like the AFCCG or play the D that has been pretty good vs the pass?

Also as someone mentioned score 7's instead of 3's and we win big. Ben needs to keep improving like he has the last 2 games. I also hate night games hope I don't fall asleep during the commercials towards the end of the game, lol.

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It all depend upon Ben's play. Bell, 2 tds...AB, 2 tds....MB 1 td and 100yds receiving( happy). ... 35pts plus a boz fg...should win the game and keep everyone happy in steelerland. But, as I stated before, it all depends on Ben's play.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    couple of things that have me worried.

Jim Caldwell's lions are 3-0 following the bye.
    Lions have lost 2 straight, Steelers have won 2 big games straight. (law of averages don't like the Steelers lol)
    Road offensive woes

We can win if we play smash mouth football, and our team doesn't panic and start throwing like crazy if we are down 3 points.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I know one thing for sure...we score more points than the Lions we are a lock to win! Win or lose I don't really see this as a trap game though. I truly believe each and every game this year is ours to win or lose. We play to our potential we win. We play to anything less and we could lose. I did see someone mention feeling like our secondary is a "house of cards", and I just don't buy that. The secondary is improving every game, the whole defense for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We don't have Jerome out there to call the coin toss, so our luck in Detroit might be better this go around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I tend to worry more about night games, for some reason, but I saw this tweet....

Dom Rinelli‏@drinelli 1h1 hour ago

The #Steelers have won each of their last six Sunday Night Football games, averaging a 20.3 point margin of victory (225-103).

So, maybe my worries are misguided?? Regardless, that's a pretty nice stat line.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Thanksgiving '98 game. Remember it like it was yesterday. Steelers were 7-4 going into that game and lost that game and the 4 following games to go 7-9.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
  18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Don't know why, but I'm feeling a Steelers defensive score tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Funny...is it heads or tails? What a cluster that Thanksgiving game was.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Lions' offensive line is not good and they are missing their left tackle tonight. Even without Tuitt, the Steelers should be able to take advantage. By that I mean they should be able to mostly shut down the run and put pressure on Stafford.

If they don't get pressure, Stafford will pick them apart with short and medium-range passing. It is certainly a winnable game, but the good version of the Steelers will have to show up.

I saw some people mention Bryant possibly breaking out, which obviously won't happen with him inactive, but I'm guessing it will take a solid game from Roethlisberger to win.

21. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
    This should be all the confidence you need:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
    Is that the same suit Jack Nicholson wore as the Joker?

• Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Well I nailed it 3 man rush it was just a good thing the Lions are worse in the redzone than us.......

I feel like our game planning is a joke, Stafford threw for over 400 yards. Their line was one of the worst at protecting the QB and we were like 2nd in sacks...why rush 3?? We saw this last year in the AFCCG. This drives me nuts I just don't get it, the bend don't break style drives me nuts. Yeah you can say it worked but if Tate doesn't fumble it may not have. Yeah we held them out of the end zone all night but you can't expect that to happen again. I am pretty sure we will not come out with a W if we play this kinda D vs the Cheats and Brady. jmo

• Agree Agree x 2