1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Willie Colon

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like taking Kemo out to the woodshed, and getting him to stop hitting people 5 seconds after the whistle. Then, go with:

Starks/Kemo/Pouncy/Colon/Gilbert

Someone new/Legursky/Foster/Someone new

2. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gilbert is our future left tackle....guaranteed.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm gonna have to agree with mac on this one. Colon's upside is dwindling with his proclivity to be injured. And at his very best, he was average to barely above average at RT - and that very best hasn't been seen in a couple of years. He is an RT and that doesn't seem to be a position of need with Gilbert, Scott, and Starks. I like Starks and was surprised he got cut, but I understand it was about the money. If Starks takes what he came back for, I'd sign him for 2 years. Mac posted earlier that a lot of how Starks looks has to do with who is playing to his right. I agree with that and I thought Legs made Max look batter. I have to agree that Kemo and his fat paycheck need to find another home. Legs was playing better G than Kemo and without the bone-headed penalties. I'm OK with letting Colon walk if he is not willing to restructure his contract AND play G. If he is not willing, then see ya. Foster has been able to hold it down at RG.

I like Starks/Legs/Pouncey/Foster/Gilbert

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's the second best, sure. After Pouncey. He has the second most amount of talent (I'm excluding Gilbert because I don't know yet how good he'll be, but I love the start he's off to). I know he's only played one game since '09, but he returned from the achilles injury to play well in the preseason and against the Ravens. He's not going to start stinking just because he hurt his tricep. When I say he's the second best, I'm assuming he'll return to his '09 form, which is not a stretch. We can disagree on that, that's fine. But...

This is bonkers! Bonkers! By that logic, Trai Essex has an advantage over all of them. Dude can play all 5 line positions! Dennis Dixon and, heck, Marcus Vick have an advantage over Ben Roethlisberger because they can run and pass. And Ben is a more versitile punter than Sepulveda because he's a bigger threat to throw! To me, keeping Scott over Colon is like keeping Randel El over Roethlisberger, or Fred McAfee over Jerome Bettis.

Come on... if we played guys like Essex and Scott, we'd have a big fat extremely versitile pile of crap. We need good blockers, not blockers that are varying levels of bad depending on where they line up. By the way, I wouldn't say Scott can play both sides, because we've seen how well he does on the left. Just because he's done it doesn't mean he should be doing it. He was awful there.

I'm not forgetting anything. I don't think he was good last year, and he was even worse this year. Even the Steelers, the only people who like this guy as much as you, agree with me on that. He played unacceptably bad, and I don't think there's any excuse. Nothing about his performance since he joined the NFL says he should be starting on this team.

Play Colon at guard, or tackle. This line has had nothing but versitile players for the last 4 years, and for the last 4 years it's stunk. We need play good players. We need new players that are good, so we definitely don't need to be tossing the best players we have. I don't care if all 5 starters can only play one position, as long as they're all good at the one they play. I can't believe anyone wants to throw away one of only two (maybe three now) positions we have locked down.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not forgetting anything. I don't think he was good last year, and he was even worse this year. Even the Steelers, the only people who like this guy as much as you, agree with me on that. He played unacceptably bad, and I don't think there's any excuse. Nothing about his performance since he joined the NFL says he should be starting on this team.

Play Colon at guard, or tackle. This line has had nothing but versitile players for the last 4 years, and for the last 4 years it's stunk. We need play good players. We need new players that are good, so we definitely don't need to be tossing the best players we have. I don't care if all 5 starters can only play one position, as long as they're all good at the one they play. I can't believe anyone wants to throw away one of only two (maybe three now) positions we have locked down.[/quote:32ls6ml6]

sorry i don't think colon is that good. neither is essex and he has no business being on the team. i do agree we need better linemen. scott is a good swing backup tackle. gilbert makes colon expendable. kemoeatu needs to go. essex needs to go. when max came back, scott played some LT in that game too, the difference was legursky was on his inside and we didn't have all that nonsense going on from scott or max in that game. scott also played well at RT when gilbert got hurt. we need guards plain and simple. i have been saying this for years. they make our tackles better. if colon was so good they would have put him at LT and put scott on the right side. he's not. he's adaquete at best and in one position. we have a bigger younger stud for that spot. :cool:

6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Gilbert makes Kemo expendable because we need to start shifting Colon to guard or he's expendable if he play that position. I'm with snack that if we have starting lineman who are great at one position then fine. Maybe our back ups need to be able to play a couple positions effectively. I never believed in Essex either. That dude is collecting a fat pay check that should be someone else's, anyone else, an experiment player.

Next season: Starks/Legs/Pouncey/Colon/Gilbert if they can find an upgrade for the Max and Willie spots and push them to back up rolls, even better. Max is goo for the pine since once when we released his big butt he didn't get any takers until we pulled him off the couch. Two seasons of injuries won't have people beating down Willies door either. They are GREAT 2nd team guys! Max/kemo/Foster/Colon/Scott as second team. Legs can move over if something happens to Pouncy.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with only dressing 7 linemen as we do yes those backup players have to be able to play many positions. agreed. colon doesn't. they have tried him at center and guard and were not thrilled with the results. only one team finally offered colon a contract last year and it was to play guard. if colon could become essex like then by all means keep him, i just don't see it or he would have been put in that spot to start the season and scott would have stayed on the right side. with the revolving door that was the RG spot never once was colon tried there. we had other RT's if they wanted to try that scenario. what was stopping it? we signed colon because they had a hurt 2nd round rookie and a short camp and didn't know if he was capable. as we did in the past we waited too long to get new guys in here, we did it with kemoeatu too, hence we had to sign colon and essex and now max. i'll bet you a dollar to a dounut that will change next year for two out of the three of those guys. i also don't forsee kemo being back either. but, hey that's me. :shrug: :cool: