1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Willie Colon going to get cut?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 16, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Kemo is getting cut no way they are paying him 4 mil

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know the difference between a restructure and a pay cut. The OP stated the heard he refused to take a put cut on the radio.

3. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    “@jimwexell: Why n the world would Willie Colon take a pay cut? He just signed long-term last yr. Steelers wouldn't even ask. If they cut him, save only $900k”

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hack, i think your way off on the savings of cutting colon and kemo. we would save the base salary of both of them. they are the 6th and 7th highest cap numbers on the team. they are not the 6th and 7th best players on the team by a long shot. colons cap hit this year is 5.7 mil. his base is 4.5 mil. a savings of 4.5 mil. this year. we would be hit for 1.2 mil on the cap. his remaining signing bounus can be strung out over two years i believe. ( unless the cba changed that). kemoeatus base is 3.577 mil. his cap hit is 5.261,666 mil. you subtract the savings of the base from the cap hit and that is what their new cap number counts against the teams cap. thats 8.077 mil. in savings in base salary. 10.961,666 is the cap hit. 2.884,666 will be the new cap hit if we cut them. we still owe starks 2 mil. if he doesn't play, toward the cap.

we also have cut loose alot of 6th,7th round picks out of the bunch you have listed. we need starters, not backups. essex has started alot of games for us, so he has some worth. jon scott has started and still has worth. urbik became a starter for buffalo. hills played against us in the PO game at denver. they took some long shots on alot of these guys, to find a line on the cheap. they need to start doing their homework on these guys. we seem to brush aside some of the top guys in the draft to go after picks like essex and colon and chris scott , when there were higher rated guys still on the board , like we know something more about them then anyone else and most of those have never worked out. to many misguided picks by colbert on the o-line. he does well at other spots, he should never be allowed to pick o-linemen past the 2nd round for us. :cool:

5. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking he was out that year. But, I stand corrected. Is that the only year he has started and a finished a season.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking he was out that year. But, I stand corrected. Is that the only year he has started and a finished a season.[/quote:11vzksrt]
    No, he was a rookie in 2006 and started two games, and then started every game of the 2007, 2008, and 2009 seasons. In my opinion, he was a crap pass protector in '07 and '08, but solid in '09. And he's feisty in the running game. He missed all of '10 with the torn achilles and every game except week 1 in '11 with a torn tricep.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bye bye to another one of Ben's buds.

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't blame Colon for not taking a pay cut, not sure why anyone would. But at the same time, I won't blame the Steelers if they cut him due to him refusing to take a pay cut. It works both ways. Also, not sure what him caring for his mother has anything to do with the business side of football. Just another reporter using emotionally charged tactics to get us to feel sympathy for him.

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    MacDaddy....Everything I see is when I player is cut his remaining signing bonus is moved to his cut year....its spread out only while he is on the roster....But maybe I am just not looking in the right places.

HACK

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Hack is correct......It seems to me that signing bonuses fall under guarenteed money and as a result if the signing bonus is huge and spread out over the first few seasons as it normally seems to be then if the player is cut early in the contract then the savings are minute due to the signing bonus being what I call for sure money..

So my take is it really makes no sense to cut Colon at this time because the Dollarrs we might save our just not there.......If it don't make Dollars then it don't make sense......

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know a lot about the business side of football, I only know what I hear or read. Pat Kirwin, who hosts one of the shows on Sirius NFL, seems to know a ton about the business side. He was the one that stated Colon has refused to take a pay cut, and he also said if the Steelers cut him, they would save something like $4.5 million. I can't remember the exact amount, but it was around that.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it used to be, we would save his base (yearly salary) and the signing bonus could be spread over a two year period. like i said with the new CBA that could have changed. i do see us still having to pay guys we cut last year on this years ( dead money) so i figured it's still in play like that. if not, that sure straps thes teams that have given guys big signing bonuses. they could never cut the guys for years while that bonus slowly disappears. since the raiders cut routt after the big contract last year, does that mean his whole signing bonus comes due this year? that's alot of money. why cut him for cap reasons? i don't know though it may have changed. i just don't see how it would be benificial to teams to do that. :cool:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm sorry hack you do seem right about this. starting this year under the new CBA the signing bonuses will come due if a player is cut. it is spread over the life of the contract. if we paid colon 10 mill for 5 years and 5 mil. was his signing bonus, each year of his salary would take off 1mil. of his bonus. since it was signed last year we have only used up 1mil. of it and we would be commited to pay the remaining 4 mil. this year towards the cap. now where it would help is in the case of a guy like kemoeatu. he has eaten up 3 years of his 5 mil. deal and we would be commited to pay the remaining two years or 2 mil. of his bonus ( this is if both had the same contract for instance). kemoeatu's remaining bonus is actually 777,000 X 2. 1.544 mil we would have to count against the cap cutting him. now his salary this year is like 3.57 mil so yes we would save alittle over 2 mil. cutting him. :cool:

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Is that rule in effect for the 2011 season or the 2012 season? If it is the 2012 season then they need to cut him before the end of the league year and the start of the new when the rule would go into effect. If it is 2011 then no rush I guess.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't get it. Seems like all we're trying to do is save money. "What are the rules? How much will we save? We should cut him by ___ to save the most money." Um, am I the only one that wants our offensive line to not fall to pieces? We should be embracing his return. We already have no left guard. Without him, we have no left tackle either.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    As far as Colon goes I am willing to give him benefit of the doubt, I would like to see how he does with a full year under Krugler and if they get away from zone blocking. However I know what I have seen before from him and that wasn't impressive, wasn't bad either just about average. I am all for cutting Kemo though. My thoughts are not to decimate the depth at any position but rather to stop throwing good money after bad. Perhaps it is coaching and scheme but at this point I am willing to admit that a shake up may be in order.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm with you on Kemo. That's good money at a bad player. I think we have at least two guards better than him on the roster. We have no tackles better than Colon. Gilbert could get there eventually, but '11 Gilbert was not as good as '09 Colon. More than that, there's simply no one else. To call Starks a question mark is generous, Scott is useless no matter how healthy he is. I think Colon is an above average RT, but even if you disagree, we need both Gilbert and Colon just to have starters on the roster. We won't draft an OT this year that can start from year one, let alone day one, if we draft one at all.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    gilbert made the start last year. he wasen't a top 5 tackle in the draft. actually more around the #10 tackle on most lists. i think it's quite possible we could draft one to start. as you say we need them. both these guys have had injuries, we would be crazy not to draft a tackle. we also need at least one guard. i still think this could be why they may go after glenn. he can play any of those roles as a starter. i just think he's to flexable of a player to not be seeking out with the trouble we have on the line and scott possibly a cap casualty. kemo has to go though

thorn, what i read is the 2012 season this goes into effect. there are also injury settlements that could change how these signing bonuses are assesed. they said teams are filming practices and workouts to keep records of these injuries to basicly cover themselves. i read all this on ask the commish. :cool:

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    gilbert made the start last year. he wasen't a top 5 tackle in the draft. actually more around the #10 tackle on most lists. i think it's quite possible we could draft one to start. as you say we need them. both these guys have had injuries, we would be crazy not to draft a tackle. we also need at least one guard. i still think this could be why they may go after glenn. he can play any of those roles as a starter. i just think he's to flexable of a player to not be seeking out with the trouble we have on the line and scott possibly a cap casualty. kemo has to go though. :cool:[/quote:2zlwo0x4]
    I remember Gilbert being more like #5 or #6 in most minds, but no matter. The point is, we all know how well we draft offensive linemen after round 2. Is it possible a mid-rounder starts right away for us and is awesome? Yeah it's possible, but the odds of that are really, really low. Even if we spend our first pick on one (Adams or Glenn), he'd likely start on the bench or play guard. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft one, I'm just saying the chances that a rookie OT will be better than Gilbert/Colon in his first year are almost nill. Both because it's hard to be better than those guys as a rookie even as a top 60 pick, and because we historically don't draft so well after round 2.

I think Glenn may be able to play OT in a pinch, but should be a guard and will be drafted as such.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think if they get back to a scheme that utilizes the strengths that the offensive linemen they do have in house I think you will see a rise in the level of play. I think their drafting will then look better, the caliber of player they have will look better. The rising tide lifts all boats

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    gilbert made the start last year. he wasen't a top 5 tackle in the draft. actually more around the #10 tackle on most lists. i think it's quite possible we could draft one to start. as you say we need them. both these guys have had injuries, we would be crazy not to draft a tackle. we also need at least one guard. i still think this could be why they may go after glenn. he can play any of those roles as a starter. i just think he's to flexable of a player to not be seeking out with the trouble we have on the line and scott possibly a cap casualty. kemo has to go though. :cool:[/quote:1dl89rr2]
    I remember Gilbert being more like #5 or #6 in most minds, but no matter. The point is, we all know how well we draft offensive linemen after round 2. Is it possible a mid-rounder starts right away for us and is awesome? Yeah it's possible, but the odds of that are really, really low. Even if we spend our first pick on one (Adams or Glenn), he'd likely start on the bench or play guard. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft one, I'm just saying the chances that a rookie OT will be better than Gilbert/Colon in his first year are almost nill. Both because it's hard to be better than those guys as a rookie even as a top 60 pick, and because we historically don't draft so well after round 2.

I think Glenn may be able to play OT in a pinch, but should be a guard and will be drafted as such.[/quote:1dl89rr2]
    i fully agree he would come in and play as a guard. i'm saying he has the skillset to be able to play either tackle if they had a need. as you say we have a couple of guys that can fill in at guard, but almost none at the tackle spot. that's where he would be a very good value pick in our situation. alot of sites are actually considering him as tacle material as of lately, even mayock has changed him to a top 5 OT. i just think with all our weaknesses on the line right now his flexability would make him a highly sought out pick for us. sure we would like decastro, but he doesn't bring that added position flexability this team could use at this point. we are in a deep hole on the o-line right now, i sure hope someone can come in and start. they need a first or second round guy bad. :cool:

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    No offense mac but I don't see Glenn having any ability at T. He is slow and gets beat a lot by smaller quicker DEs when he played T. I don't even see him as being a plausible swing man from that standpoint. He is a big road grader who would do well at straight up blocking. We have too many of these big fat slow guys. We need strength and quickness. Glenn doesn't have quick feet and he relies too much on his super long arms when he has been at T which will get him trouble for holding at the pro level. That said, I agree with keeping Colon if he takes a pay cut. If he doesn't take a cut then he needs to go. There is nothing irreplaceable about him. And he is two years older amd rustier so I would be surprised if he could even return to his barely average form from 09.

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope you're not saying you'd take Glenn over DeCastro. I know we've had this conversation before, but position flexibility to me is nothing really more than a bonus. A tiebreaker. The reason being, of course, that whoever it is you're talking about can still only play one position at a time. It doesn't really save you a roster space. The other reason being that flexibility has nothing to do with talent. I greatly appreciated having Trai Essex around this year, because we needed him and he can play all 5 positions. But talent conquers all. Faneca could (or at least he did) only play one position in his whole career. Marvel Smith could play two, Jeff Hartings could play three. All good players, but Faneca is still way above both of them. On any given play those guys will only be in one spot, and that's the one that counts.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    glenn is quicker then the guy we are going to start at LT this year. LT's are hard to come by in this draft, and i see glenn as our next LG if they draft him, but i think if in a pinch he is one of the few guys that would be on the team that could jump over there. if scott is a cap casualty we are going to need someone. colon is a RT only guy so that limits him moving. chris scott is the only other guy on the team capable of LT duties unless essex is brought back. i think glenn could be as effective as gilbert on the left side. i'm not perticularly excited about this setup as it is though. :cool: