1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Willie Colon going to get cut?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 16, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good. I've been assuming that, but it's nice to know. Before (and after) we drafted him there was so much talk about how he could only ever play on the right side in the NFL, and probably only guard. I thought he was going to look like a slower version of Casey Hampton out there, but he was anything but.

A lot of people have OT as a top need for us, but I think now the only way that happens is if one of the very best falls to us (Martin, who probably won't make it into the teens even). Then we could take him and move Gilbert to guard.

It's also a sign that they are not going to cut Colon.

2. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed, He should be gone right now. Dude hasn't played in two years, so whats the problem? What I think is the Steelers should get rid of him and get younger in the draft or free agency. Colon and Starks are very injury prone and should be cut, also Jonathan Scott.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Yeah lets cut all the players who gotten hurt before!

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Quite. I'm not Colon's biggest fan, but we do need to have some realism here.

"Getting younger" is fine, so long as it's done right - and at the moment we have a number of mediocre back ups who will never start in the NFL that would suggest we haven't done it right for a fair few years.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Exactly.

Everyone is piling on Willie here, but people forget that he was actually pretty good when he was healthy.
    Now it's been awhile since he was healthy, but the guy isn't the trash that everyone is making him out to be.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    he sayd that the plan was to resign starks , and play gilbert on the right , so maybe now they are forced to try gilbert at left tackle , while i'm not so sure they will do ,if they cut colon they can sign a free agent better than scott , a mckinnie kind of guy

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's debatable.

The guy hasn't played in 2 years how do we know he's the third best?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Process of elimination.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Pretty good when he played? Maybe compared to the likes of Hartwig, Kemo, and Starks who played with him when he was allegedly pretty good. It's not hard to outshine the likes of those guys but it doesn't mean he was good. The guy is average at best when healthy and based on two years of injury, I don't think the Steelers can bank on him being at the average level he was at two years ago. He may be worth keeping for vet minimum but no way he is worth the fat payday he's been getting. Like I've said before, you may be the king of the pigs, but you're still a pig. 3 years ago, Willie was the best OL on a very poor OL of which 3 of his line mate couldn't even make a roster with another NFL team. Ibelieve Colon was the best of that group 3 years ago but thats not saying much.

10. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My take as well :thumbs_up:

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not really sure what Colon is thinking, he's been injured the better part of two years. I'm not sure I'd agree that he's worth the money from his previous full seasons. Take the cut Willie or be cut.

12. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not like he's a franchise player, or even close to it. He's been IR for all of the past 2 seasons. Cut him and re-sign to a minimum deal; he's lucky to get that. If he doesn't agree, then I guess "its time to get on with his life's work".

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it will be much easier to find a right tackle either on the team or as a FA or in the draft then a starting LT. scott can play RT. he played a good bit last year and most didn't notice. he also played some LT after starks came back and most didn't notice. i have no problem with him on the right side, it's bens blind side thats the trouble with him. essex possibly. if he gets in shape. they have chris scott that could work out on the right side. foster is a right tackle if we draft a good guard. the big kid travis something on the PS last year could be tried at RT. so there are options. we could use a good LT in the draft or FA. they are hard to come by. if they get the guard spot fixed, it will be one problem they won't have to deal with. :cool:

14. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Colon is average at best on a bad oline. Now he is an overweight guy who has been hurt for two straight years. And not just some of the season, but two whole seasons. Now he will not take a pay cut even though he has not played and we have payed him. I would say he should be happy we still even want him on the team. No pay cut then get rid of him. It is not like a cheap free agent would not be as good as him.

I have never liked Colons attitude. We treat him like he is really good, but we have never won big games with him playing.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    +1 on this. We treated Kemo the same way and he sucks. The FO is great getting talent at skill positions but terrible when it comes to the OL.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You got your hat...get your coat...Send his underachieving, injury prone, selfish butt packing.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    they will wait after the camp to cut him

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that he was the best OL we had in '09, the year before Pouncey. I also agree that that's not necessarily saying much, because everyone else pretty much stunk. Starks was okay. But you say he's better than Starks, which is true, and Starks played pretty well this year. Well enough to "save the day" and get himself into the team MVP conversation among fans. If he is better than Starks, then why don't we want him back? Our line should be improved from a year ago.

If Starks doesn't come back, it's because of his injury and weight. People loved Starks last year, so I don't see why we wouldn't want an even better player, even if he's been injured (weight, conditioning, and the injury from '11 are not a concern for Colon like they are for Starks. He's already recovered and ready).

19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Colon cost 5.7 to stay this year...and 4.8 if we cut him ...that is the rest of the signing bonus...which becomes due right?

Some of you are a little delusional about all these Olinemen....you want to cut Starks, Colon, Kemo, Essex, and Scott.

Do you realize how many draft picks, and years it took the Steelers to get to what most feel is mediocrity on the OLINE...and you expect them to completely overhaul 90% of it with better players in one off season?

2011 Marcus Gilbert (2nd) - People love him today / Keith Williams (6th) CUT
    2010 Pouncey (1st) - People loved him, but the shine is already starting to come off / Chris Scott (6th) barely sniffed his game jersey
    2009 Kraik Urbik (3rd) - CUT...and is in Buffalo / AQ Shipley CUT....now with the Colts...has never sniffed anything but PS
    2008 Tony Hills (4th) CUT
    2007 Cam Stephenson (5th) CUT
    2006 Willie Colon (4th) People beg to have him gone / Marvin Phillip (6th) CUT
    2005 Trai Essex (3rd) Career Backup / Chris Kemoeatu (6th) People begging to have him gone
    2004 Max Starks (3rd) Injured and most would prefer him gone / Bo Lacy (6th) Cut / Drew Caylor (6th) CUT

8 years....15 picks....8 were cut almost immediately...3 Starters and 1 backup that everyone wants cut, 2 guys that people are happy with...and 1 guy that most people don't even know is still on the roster.....Looks like just getting "better guys" might be harder than one thinks.

I think they have no choice but to keep either Kemo or Colon....Kemo saves about 2 mill this year...and Colon about 1 mill....resign Starks..and maybe Essex.

Why everyone thinks Gilbert is capable of making the move to LT is beyond me....maybe he can...maybe he cant...I did not see a LT this year when he played...and even if I am wrong and he is just waiting to be an allpro LT...he was injured often enough to make me worry.....

I don't see them picking up any McKinnie type OT's....Why? Because they could have had McKinnie last year...or Jared Gaither......and the team was comfortable enough not to go after either with Scott as their starting LT.

At best..I think you can hope for 2 new faces...1 draft/1FA.....oh im sure they will draft a few OLINEMEN to CUT as well.

HACK

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well...

21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Unless you count the Super Bowl as a big game.

HACK

22. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers Depot: Report: Willie Colon Not Willing To Take A Pay-cut.

Willie Colon

23. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Spot on as usual.

Just as someone else pointed out in this thread that the front office people are studs at getting most skill position types, but have recently been bad at O-line picks. I couldn't believe they cut Starks last season and didn't really bring in a replacement. They just promoted to (arguably) the second most important position on the offense (from a dry well). It was obvious we didn't have a better option but they went that way anyhow. Head scratcher! I never felt good about that decision and it was a foreshadowing of what our season was to become. Why didn't they go after McKinney or Gaithers? They just freed up Starks money. Those guy were proven commodities as was Starks. They thought their work was done over there? :frustrated:

I also wasn't overly impressed by Gilbert last year. Talk about mediocrity benefitting from a bad surrounding line. He didn't show me LT stuff at all... :frustrated:

I say keep Gilbert at RT or make him a guard and the same with Colon. Then they have to draft AND pick up a free agent for the other Tackle and guard spots. :praying:

That's how this line could get better quick, it's not brain surgery. They have been so glacial at trying to solidify this line for so long and shuffling the deck chairs. Philosophy not working, it's time for them to re-focus. Why are they slapdicking with this for so long?!?! There are players to drop all over this team to get cap money for a good lineman. I believe that!!!

They need to restructure Kemo as a back up too. He could probably find work on another bad line on a bad team or stay here on a team and environment (he must be comfortable with) to contribute as a back up plus some time with first team in relief. He's good for that roll at a reduced rate. Problem is, this is real life and who stays at a job that demotes you and pays you less for the same work. (Except maybe pro-sports, it's unique work business)

FA/draft - FA/draft - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert (or switch Gilbert and Colon, but this is how I'd do it)

Starks - Kemo - Legs - Foster - Scott

That to me would be a really good group. Except of course for the obvious uncertainty on the most important side of the line.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep and can only save 900 k in cap space by cutting him....He is healthy so I say we keep him.....IMO he is an average RT and is better suited to play RG....IMO he is a better run blocker than he is a pass protecter....

I say we draft a stud LT or Decastro this year at all cost...... I don't think Gilbert is the answer at LT esp. if he has a weak guard or a non elite LG beside him...Also after looking at the OL I don't think Glenn will be half the OL Decastro will be......IMO Decastro is the best OL period and is the best OL I have seen in years.....

If we can get him and just 2 or 3 other players it would be a huge success.....I am all for Quality over Quanity....

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Adams (draft pick) - FA - Pouncey - Colon - gilbert

or

Adams (draft pick) - colon - Pouncey- foster- gilbert

backups, starks, kemo, legursky, scott, and a couple of rookies