1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

William Gay... yes another one

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Has he been playing... not horrible?

I haven't noticed any big blown coverages, missed tackles or him getting burnt in the past few games. Is he finally becoming a true veteran I mean he does have a good amount of Nickel experience now.

I have always been one of the ones that complain about him falling down every play and what not but is he turning it around? I could be wrong and overlooked his mistakes but any input from you guys?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm one of the first to curse Willy Gay, but I haven't actually noticed any glaring bad plays by him lately either. Someone will very likely correct me on this though. :)

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Please tell me you guys knocked on wood after posting that lol The last thing we need is Gay deciding to stop playing with the patsies and ratbirds coming up.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    He HAS been fairly quiet lately. And considering his usual play, that's actually a good thing.

Now, how much of that is scheme (are we sending more help his way than normal?), and how much is just his improving I cannot say. I hope it's the latter.

5. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well I will tell you this. After Sundays game against the Patriots, we will know where Willie Gay is. He will be seriously tested by Brady.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. But then, the whole defense will be.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ooo, quick reply. I like it!

Gay has been playing the best football of his career, BUT there are two reasons we shouldn't be excited about that yet:

1. That says nothing, considering how bad he's been in the past, and
    2. He's yet to really be tested. Ike takes all the #1s, and we haven't really seen a serious #2 with a strong QB yet.

This week will be his first real test. Especially since he is our slot CB, and will probably see a lot of Welker (gosh I miss Townsend). He's been starting for McFadden, but I honestly think the fact that B-Mac got benched for Gay says not much about either of them, but instead more about the coaches. McFadden didn't play at all in the preseason and then hurt his hamstring again, and while Gay and Lewis were in, the defense played strong (against Tavaris Jackson, Kerry Collins, and Curtis Painter). So when Bryant was healthy, they made a "not broken, don't fix it" decision.

Last year Gay was, in my mind, the number one reason we lost to New England. He was brutally burned by Gronkowski three times. I'm not sorry we kept him because I'm fine with him as a #4, maybe #3 against some teams. I said he wasn't good enough to be a starter.

But who knows? Maybe he's a late bloomer and year 5 is his magic year. I will say that he rarely makes mental mistakes. He just can't hang with a lot of guys.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My sense of it from the first few games is that he's reading offenses better than he has done before. Maybe this is Lake's influence, as another thread suggests? Or maybe we're just getting excited because, as the OP put it, he's not as horrible as he usually is?

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If he survives the onslaught this Sunday he might have finally arrived.

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not to throw any voodoo his way but this has been his best season that i can remember. I'm by no means a William Gay supporter and have been calling for him to hit the road for a while now, but I can't remember me yelling at him on tv once yet this season tbh. And that's definitely something I did just about every game last season.

Like edog55 stated, Brady will test him this week.

So does Ike cover Welker this week?

11. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The real William Gay will be exposed this weekend. Just hopefully not to the extreme detriment like last year.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Brady makes alot of corners look bad, doesn't mean anything if Gay has a bad game this week, have to judge him on the season, not a particular game. So far he has been a pleasant surprise. :popcorn:

13. Agnybo

Agnybo Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tomlin said that Gay's work OFF the field is what sets him apart. Maybe the classwork and film study is finally starting to translate onto the field, because he seems to be a different player - I was CERTAIN he was going to be let go in the offseason and was shocked to see him offered a multi-year deal by the Steelers. Could it be the coaching staff has a better perspective on how these players are developing than WE DO!!??!!

In related news, how far has McFadden fallen? Cortez Allen ahead of him on the depth chart now? Wow.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not likely according to Coach. Excerpt from the PPG:

Taylor-Welker match unlikely

Wes Welker not only is New England's best receiver, he leads the NFL with an average of 130.8 yards per game. But do not expect Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor to follow the usual plan that has him cover the other team's best.

Welker often lines up in the slot, and Taylor covers receivers who line up wide.

"As I sit here right now, I am not comfortable with saying that Ike is going to follow him down-in and down-out," Tomlin said. "That might be a little bit out of Ike's comfort zone.

"This guy spends a lot of time in interior formations at the No. 2 position, No. 3 position and slot formations. Ike is an outside corner, so I am not ready at this juncture to even say that this is going to be an element of this thing."

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Where you at Lawrence Timmons??? Time to earn that fat paycheck!!!!!

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :this:

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ike on Welker would be the best approach but then they have two tight ends that are damn good

Bman

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think this is the difference between good and bad coaches. Perhaps Tomlin keeps Gay for what he sees in development. All the stuff we dont see. Gay did suck and sucked badly so far but this year he seems to be around the ball and showing pretty good instincts.

I hope he develops quickly and preferably by this Sunday against the Patsies :hehehe:

Bman

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually hoped-predicted that W. Gay would have 2 interceptions last Super Bowl.
    Maybe it's this week?

20. Avoid Lloyd

Avoid Lloyd Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Unfortunately, I'll have to correct you after the Patriot's game. :cry: