1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

will we start to see us

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 5, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    going for more of these hybrid defenders? the big safeties that can run, come up and defend the run, but are capable in coverage as well.

also the smaller quicker LB'ers that are bigger safety types.

this seems to be catching on in the league with the changes in the pass defense rules, the fast TE's and the bigger receivers.

for us guys like garvin, spence. also what we are trying to do with troy up around the line more. more guys that fit the sub package better or can do more in it.

the days of the big thumper ILB may be coming to an end. the safeties have a lot more corner abilities in them now but are big enough to help with the run.

:cool:

2. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    We shoulda started cloning back in the 70's-or at least kept some of Mel Blount's DNA somewhere until the technology caught up.:hmmm:

I think we should keep a thumper or two on the roster for those division games where you need to set the tone.;)

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    at least we will take advantage if teams pose the smaller quicker guy AT us. we have a couple of punishers at RB this year. there is starting to be a trend in this direction, though.:cool:

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you have a point Mac, but maybe
    I am to old school.I still believe and want to see
    physical football. Seattle plays physical football,
    and why the blew out the Denver Broncos.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have been pimping safety Deone Bucannon of Washington State he's a big hitter but he also has good ball skills, I would take him in the 3rd.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it has nothing to do with not being physical, it's just a part of changing to keep up with rules and offensive capabilities. big thumpers can't keep up with how teams are using RB and TE's in the passing game. there are many different styles of the run now too. it was different when they were lining up a FB in front of a RB and running the 6 holes. now there is more pasture and more things these guys are asked to do. it doesn't mean the can't take a head off from time to time. we are still the steelers and they will never take that out of us.

I just think positions are changing. while there are still cb's for coverage, safeties have to be as much corners as LB'ers now and LB'ers have to be more like strong safeties.

speed kills on defense. always has. when we were winning SB's we were touted as some of the fastest defenses in the league overall. it's hard to watch as a fan because it's the same defense that was the fastest in the league but has slowed down as a whole compared to the rest of the league as age creeps in. I guess I mean it's less noticeable to us. it seems they have made it a mission to get us faster. Mitchell,shamarko,and who we may be looking at in the draft. we need it that's for sure.:cool: