1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this be another 20+ year drought?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 22, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Been about 35 years for the Raiders, 27 years for the Redskins, 24 years for the 9ers, 23 years for the cowboys, and 10 years for us. 9ers and Steelers had 1 SB appearance since then.

I think Patriots will be done winning when Bill retires in 2060

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Who knows? All it takes to open another window of opportunity is the right head coach. By the time Mason Rudolph takes over the reigns from Ben, he will have been seasoned for a few years. The whole situation reminds me of Favre and Rodgers. If you have a firery young coach and a firery young quarterback out to prove themselves, the Steelers next run of playoff chances could be just around the corner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ben may turn into Favre where the Steelers have to push him out the door.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Get back to me after Mason's performance in the upcoming preseason. Until then, too many variables to account. That being said, should Tomlin fail yet again this season..... time to say goodbye.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    We just got to correct key things:

1. Need new coach
    2. Build the defense
    3. Draft a great QB to replace Ben

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no.:cool:

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It could be if they extend Tomlin's contract to 2028. We've gotten everything out of Tomlin we are gong to get. The longer we wait to make a change the more a 20+ year drought become a reality. He did a fine job but not it's time for new ideas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I am excited for Mason, at the same time kinda nervous that he will be a bust lol

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You forgot the most important element of a winning team! :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Because if you are replacing the coach, you will need a new head cheerleader? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    About the only thing I’m looking forward too. Seeing what kind of step forward he takes after having a year under his belt.

I’m ready to move on from this drama show, Bell, AB, Ben and the previous year JH, Mitchell and onto what appears to be very humble team oriented players. JuJu, Washington, Conner, Samuels, Vance, JJ, Mason (fingers crossed) and of course a new HC to run it all.

Turn the page.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I was hoping we’d have Bell and Brown to help in the transition, but looks like that isn’t happening. At least Washington is Rudolph’s boy!

Master plan was for us to win the super bowl this year, have Ben retire, and put his money to sign Bell long term.:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and munch comes back and rebuilds the aging o-line. you forgot that part blast. ;):cool:

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 100. Look how fast the Rams turned things around. Rams went 4-12 with Fisher/Fassel in 2016. McVay is hired and they go 11-5 in '17 and 13-3 in '18 with a Super Bowl berth. Rams have many on the current roster (Donald, Goff, etc) who were on that 4-12 team.

Steelers have a good core of players to work with. But, there's several missing pieces... most of which are on the defensive side. Steelers need some new ideas and schemes. This is not going to happen with Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And be the HC :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I am cool with a competitive 6-7 win team, drama free.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    6 wins could get us a top 10 draft pick in '20.... and hopefully a new HC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Based on Rooney's thoughts recently if you think Tomlin is getting fired next year you're dreaming. I'm telling you right now he's sticking with the asinine tradition, common sense be damned.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If we extend Mike Tomlin, I will take the bridge.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, spoiled Stiller fans, here's a news flash: 20 year droughts are the norm not the exeception. Consider yourself lucky if your drought is even that short.

There are 32 NFL teams, if a different one wins every yr, a minimum of 12 will have a 20yr drought between titles at any time. Currently 21 teams (2/3 of the league) have one.

Now, you might believe that the Rooneys and 'the Steeler Way' somehow inoculate you from the plight of other fan bases. But reading posts over the last month on the relative competence of Tomlin, Colbert, Art Ii, it's wouldn't appear that many fans have faith in that anymore.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ha!!

Someone else, I forgot who, were really pimping Kris Richard, currently DB coach with Dallas, formerly DC with Seattle, as a HC candidate.

I really like Munch but would be totally cool giving Richard his HC chance.

If we don’t extend Tomlin this offseason (two years left?) I think that’ll be very telling of future intent.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The Cheats are going to their 9th Super Bowl in 16 years js

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    And that is the extreme exceptions to the rule. That won't happen again in our or maybe our children's lifetimes.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think we're there yet, even without Brown and Bell. There are a LOT of weapons on this offense. The offensive line is pretty much intact with good backups behind the starters.

Probably replacing Brown with a veteran WR would be a good move. I see them doing that.

The defense needs an athletic ILB, an edge rusher, and an outside cornerback IMO. With cap space, I think the Steelers can make some moves to prevent going into rebuilding mode.

When Ben, Pouncey, etc retire/degrade in abilities things will start getting interesting.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    For some reason, I'm just not feeling it for Mason Rudolph. I hope I'm wrong. I'm thinking he's Neil O Donnell 2.0 << said his name. :)

I hope I'm wrong.

One thing the Steelers MUST do is obtain a viable QB when the time comes.

The Mark Malone, NOD, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomzac, etc era has got to be nipped in the butt quick. Trade away an entire draft if needed. Get a franchise QB.

• Disagree Disagree x 1