1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Too much money at stake. So I think they'll still have it. Now will a lot of stuff be delayed? Probably. Definitely not be like other years i don't think.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Think about this, before they can open training camps they will have to virus test all the personnel associated with the teams, about 3000 individuals, players, management, coaches, trainers, equipment managers, everyone will have to be tested, and how many will come back positive, thats to be determined but it will have to be done....

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And will they be allocated the tests if the tests are still in short supply?

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If the new Abbot test ends up being highly accurate in actual field use, it will be as common and simple as flu and strep testing, and done entirely in a doctors’ office or ER with no separate lab needed. It could be a testing game changer by the time training camps open. The issue with current tests is that they need highly trained lab techs and particular solutions made up of scarce resources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Rapid antigen tests have shorter swabs that patients can use themselves to gather specimens. They are akin to rapid flu tests, which can produce results in less than 15 minutes. They focus on antigens — parts of the surface of viruses that trigger an infected person’s body to start producing antibodies.

Health authorities in China, the United States and other countries have offered few details on the rates of false-positive and false negative results on any coronavirus tests. Experts worry that the rapid tests may be significantly less reliable than the more time-consuming method.

Lower accuracy has been a concern with rapid flu tests. Spanish scientists said the rapid tests for coronavirus they reviewed were less than 30 percent accurate. The more established lab tests were about 84 percent accurate.

Those results “would prevent its routine introduction,” according to a report by the Spanish Society of Infectious Disease and Clinical Microbiology that triggered the alarms in Spain and spurred the government’s rejection of the 9,000 antigen tests.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw they are considering having people wear masks now. Wouldn’t that be an apocalyptic scene in a stadium full of mask wearing fans.

At least we’d get to see some creative team color masks on display.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can't see a normal NFL season. I can't see how we can contain and eradicate this prick in a short time. As long as delivery services (P.O. UPS FEDEX) are out there daily touching boxes, letters, mailboxes, etc. etc. I don't see how it will stop. I just hope if a cure is found we don't waste months for testing. Sometimes ya gotta take a chance as Big Ben will tell you with his downfield throws.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Testing is pretty important. I was listening to a virologist recently who discussed how some vaccines can actually have the reverse effect and cause a person to be more susceptible to a disease instead of inoculating them. That would be pretty counterproductive. There are also medications that have side effects that can be worse than the disease, including interactions with other medications. It’s important that the vaccine or therapy not be worse than the COVID 19 itself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the former FDA commissioner, was saying on CNBC that it will be July or August before things start to "normalize". He thinks the virus will start to dissipate by June but there will still be several weeks of restrictions after that. Who knows? I know I sure don't .

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking Raiders fans for some reason?

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    First thing I’d have to do is poke a small hole in my mask to get a straw through for my beer. I’m thinking this with a face shield:

BED2F737-359F-4E89-A16E-37D5DA59451E.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We could all wear the black and gold "terrible" masks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Popped into my head too.

14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Saw a guy yesterday with a terrible towel wrapped around his face. I guess it is a better place for the towel then that very first scene of the TV show, "This Is Us" where the lead guy had a terrible towel covering up his junk.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    And they will need to test each and every day with infrared temperature readers

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Mmm. Maybe attitudes toward this virus will change in the coming months as people get frustrated. A game changer would be an effective anti-viral and abundant amount of ventilators. People who are over 60 with severe health issues would still have to be careful, but I could see us get to a point where we collectively say we have to get on with our lives for the most part and take the risk.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    With that attitude getting on with your life will quickly shorten it, by the way 48% of the cases in new york are between the ages of 19 and 44, so dont count on being young gives you a free pass against covid 19..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Like the 28 dopes (so far) who insisted on going to Cabo San Lucas for spring break and came back with the virus!

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This sums it up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    You might be surprised what time and frustration can do to people`s attitudes. We will see.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    mask joke.jpg :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    C9320A23-C022-4246-B370-8981064C1FDE.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I've been saying that for awhile now. At some point we will have to roll the dice. With respect for life and all your loved ones I say living to stay alive is not living. I have had my prime but imagine young people starting a family and hoping to have a retirement a lot of us baby boomers have. Won't happen if they stop the world every 2-3 years for another virus. I would never have the money I have if they did this for every virus that came along since 2002.

I've known two people who had it. Both got tested for it coming off overseas vacations. Both over 60. Both lived without any outside assistance. Both said if not for the media coverage they would have thought they had a terrible flu and waited it out without fearing for their life. Both said the fear made it twice as bad as it was. One had a mild case but my other friend was pretty much out of it for a few days and scared ****less. One is being asked to give blood. Why I have no idea????

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry, I'm not going to get caught up in any further debate that no one is going to win nor is anyone going to change because of it.

Meanwhile...........

Corona name change.jpg

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To answer your last question ...they are asking for their blood because they are someone who has recovered from the virus and are looking for the antibodies in their blood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1