1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    interesting stuff here. Believe it or not, it will give yinz something to occupy down time with.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was sorry to see that Tom Dempsey, the record setting kicker for the Saints, died of the virus earlier today. Dempsey had dementia and was in a nursing home in New Orleans when an outbreak of the Chinese virus hit the nursing home and poor Tom caught it and died.
    I was in eighth grade in 1970 when Dempsey kicked his record setting 63 yard FG to beat the Lions. I remember our gym teacher the next week had all of us boys line-up on the football field 63 yards away from the goal post to show us how long of a kick that was. As a 13 year old it looked like the goal posts were about a mile away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Sad to hear.
    Tom was born to kick field goals.

[​IMG]

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm sorry @Blast Furnace, but I have to ask. You let the Pied Piper of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) spew his idiotic rhetoric "repeatedly" while directly taking this, and other threads, down the political rabbit hole, and when someone tries to smooth it over with a little common sense......"THATS" when you decide it's walking a fine line? Maybe you jumped in at the last minute and weren't aware that the tin-foil-hat wearing nimrod spews his moronic bull**** quite frequently but your timing was a bit off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Dempsey was a pretty cool story in NFL history. I remember my dad hated that he could kick with that "illegal shoe". I always thought is was kinda cool that he found a way to excel!:cool:

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't speak for Blast, but we're always walking a fine line and trying to give a little slack since this topic is hard to navigate without wading into the politics of it all somewhat.

He's just reminding everyone to reel it back.

By the way, using a nonsense term like TDS isn't reeling it back. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Stone if you knew how much I bite my tongue about the “idiotic rhetoric” as you say, you wouldn’t feel that way.

Also, I asked to dial the politics back AFTER readings Strummers post because he started naming people. It wasn’t in response to Steeldeels.

Not that it would make any difference, each person got their say, how long would you liked for me to let it carry on to satisfy you?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I get that and I appreciate the work you guys do.......that being said, the timing was a bit off.

Saying TDS is a non-sense term isn't reeling it back either;) TDS is very real, just go listen to the coverage of the up-coming election:cool:

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fair enough. It just looked like it was slanted the other way. My apologies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I’m here a lot but not after every single post. The response would have been the same had I got here before Steeldeel had.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah. TDS is a BS excuse meant to dismiss any argument.

It's the Republican version of "You only dislike Obama because he's black."

We should all be better than that.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nah. Obama's countless goofs weren't because he's black.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Did I say that? Or are you deliberately being obtuse? BOTH are BS excuses.

And if it was an attempt at humor, chalk it up to my being slow on the uptake. ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

apparently I hit a nerve and upset the poor little child. Boohoo

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You "are" a nerve! But the world needs ditch-diggers too.;)

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A74CA4C3-F725-4623-B282-6AEA322FEF5D.jpeg

I know this is a little sick, but I’m thinking of putting this on my Christmas cards. It’s looks festive and colorful. Maybe photoshop some garland or ivy into it.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It’s so cute that you try labeling people you’ve never met. It must be that trump delusion syndrome kicking into overdrive.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Both of you STOP

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Ask nicely:lolol::lolol:

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks man! I thought I was being diplomatic about the subject. It’s clear a lot of people have done a lot of things wrong but at the same time there are very few people alive that have lived through anything like this and had any idea how bad it could get. I don’t think it’s a time to point fingers and I certainly don’t think it’s time for someone’s political bias to act as a catalyst to assign blame. Mistakes were made in preparation and in response. It’s impossible to have all the answers for something like this. The only bright side will be if we learn from most of them....

• Like Like x 2
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pretty please with $#%^*& sugar on top. Stop it :lolol:

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That’s a vast improvement. I will ponder your request for a bit.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I was trying to think of a best case scenario for getting a regular season in. If by September we have instant or quick testing results that both determine if you have the virus now or already had it and recovered, the NFL could allow each team to test each player about an hour before the game. I`m sure that would be no problem if we had that testing available. As far as fans go, they too (and the people who work there) would need the same testing before being allowed into the stadium. I don`t know if it is possible to test a full stadium worth, seems unlikely. Best case those who had proof they already recovered from the virus would have some certificate issued by their doctor could enter immediately. Don`t know how those who never had the virus would be worked with. There would not only have to be instant testing, but very low cost. A fan who never had the virus would have to be able to self check before going to the stadium so they don`t take the chance of failing the test at the stadium and get turned away.

So best case is players are protected and can play safely in front of sparse crowds IMO.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I see Colbert is pushing for three extra rounds to the draft.

Makes a fair amount of sense to me.

• Like Like x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Since it was his idea....do we get 3 1sts:hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1