1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why will we have to stop the economy every 2-3 years? This is the first time in all my life that I have witnesses a pandemic, the last time before that was what? 1918 Spanish Flu? This isn’t going to become the new norm and God forbid we do experience another one soon, at least we know how not to handle one. South Korea and the US each experienced their first case on the same day, SK is through there pandemic already, we still have months to go, one handled correctly and the others response was FUBAR.

And no, I’m not sacrificing my mother for some yuppy to work on his 401k.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Was Aides a pandemic? Was the Swine flu a pandemic? Will we stop everything if they come along again? I believe the swine flu was around for over a year. What if this virus stays around that long? I'm just saying we can't sit in our houses for years.

And I'm not thinking of a yuppie. It's the paycheck to paycheck people who I am not helping with $$$$$

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yes they can shut the economy down for a year or even longer, during the great depression the economy was shut down for several years, and that generation got a double whamy, they lived through the 1918 pandemic and 10 years later they got the second dose with the depression, which by the way that pandemic started in Kansas not else where, difference between that generation and this one now, is this society is a soft whiney group who never had it tough in their life so 3 months in, instead of following the rules to get rid of it, they just snivel and whine about it, then after that double whamey, they fought and won WW2, yeah this society dont know what tough times are...

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No because we didn’t have to. Some of you still think they are doing this for the fun of it.

3 months isn’t going to ruin people financially for the rest of their lives. Now if they did it for over a year like Diamond is saying, that would be much more damaging but that’s never going to happen. They aren’t looking to eradicate it, they are looking to get ahead of it so hospitals can handle the flow of patients and it’s more manageable until a vaccine is found.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Here in Florida you can't go to work unless it's essential but you can go shopping at Walmart. Yeah, makes sense...:facepalm:

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I think humans are smart enough to get ahead of it within 3-4 months but the working poor will feel a huge hit from that. I've already had to pay a family members rent. I use to be a landlord and if I still was I'd suspend their rents for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think the actual number of normal flu deaths in the US is at least double what your number is. Does anyone remember the pandemic of 2009-2010? See what happened here in the US and why the different response now. Go figure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Walmart has food.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Covid-19 is more transmittable than the flu, we have no vaccine, that's why the response is different.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah the annual flu death toll is higher. I too am confused at the response this time. This damn thing is nasty for sure. I just wonder if this will be the new response in the future???? Sadly you know there will be more viruses in the future.

I'm not a conspiracy theory person but it is funny some of the stuff that people are saying. I think my favorite is that women started it because they hate their husband watching sports:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Could you imagine if these damn viruses could fly through the air and defy gravity. Stephen Kings book, "The Stand" would become true.

12. SteelerFaninSocal

SteelerFaninSocal Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I think the truth is that we will have a vaccine to this sooner then when everyone thinks. Everyone is telling us it wont be for 12-18 months, but I'm hoping that's just to set expectations. This thing is such a disaster to every country in the world that I would guess every country has their top biologists, scientists, etc working on a vaccine (or effective treatment) non-stop around the clock. With so many vested in this, they should come up with something.

If I had to guess, I'd say there will be a football season. We have to get back to some sort of normal at some point. If we let this thing shut down our county all the way to September/October then we will be facing a total economic collapse. We have to start opening things up again....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing that may be done to accelerate a vaccine is to have promising candidate vaccines enter mass production while they go through the final stages of testing/trials so that they will be available to health care workers and some of the general population soon after passing through trials. The government will need to help the pharmaceutical manufacturers manage the financial risk of producing a ton of vaccines that may become useless.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You should have let him ponder that for a while to see how long it took to figure out his foolishness

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    we didn’t have a vaccine for that at the time either. FYI it’s now part of the normal flu shot

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree and that's where I shop, at a super store with everything from soup to nuts, furniture, TVs, computers, shoes, clothes, etc. The thing is, all department stores, shoe stores, electronics stores and furniture stores have to be shuttered by law. Is that fair? Shouldn't Walmart then be forbidden from selling non-foodie stuff? But what's happening is all levels of government are picking winners and losers right now and to me, there's an abundance of unfair trade mandates when you look at it closer. And no I don't have a solution. Just stating the obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "Hell is empty: the devils are all here!"

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Where do you feel safer from germs? ;)

Foolishness...lol

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Walmart is the government.:eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They're banking. Can't keep up with demand ...lol

21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Where do you feel safer from hunger?

22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    40-50 million caught H1N1 swine flu in the US alone. That's pretty transmittable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your Governor is an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Little inside info from a nurse I know.

Says it’s a total **** show - no one in charge, bodies piling up, they had to stick one guy who died in a goddam closet because there’s so many bodies the morgue can’t keep up. (I saw this on the news actually, in the city, they are using refrigerated tractor trailers as temporary morgues).

Said it was mostly men in their 50’s but over weight with other issues but by the time she left that was changing, she got a 30 year old male
    and a 41 year old that went from healthy yesterday morning to induced coma on a vent by last night.

She said it attacks the lungs with speed like nothing they’ve ever seen.

She said you either get it with mild symptoms like Tom hanks or you get it and 3 days later your on a vent and pretty much ****ed. They don’t have enough ventilators and don’t know what they are going to do.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking that is “essential”.

:thumbs_up: