1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will The Steelers Win A Super Bowl Before Ben Retires?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Big concern is the shoulder surgery he had in February that put him in a sling for 10 weeks, have to see how it's going to hold up to contact in preseason and beyond, i'm sure butler is wondering about that too....

2. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    If they go 13-3 or better, I think they'll have a chance. It's all about being able to beat the Patriots

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    3 rookies have a year under their belts. bud dupree with a full season on this defense will help. cam heyward wasn't on the field for the pats game, another big plus. add a couple of more changes like we have and its not the same team facing the patriots this year. martavis bryant on offense is a huge plus they didn't have to face last year. our TE's with a season under their belts. juju added is a plus over eli rogers in the slot. there are many little changes over what was on the field for us last year in that game. it's nowhere near the same team that faced the patriots last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I'm really interested to see how the Patriots handle Bell, Brown, Bryant, and Rogers and if they're all healthy. They need to be in order for the Steelers to win, but that seems like the combo that would be too much for them. Don't sleep on Rogers this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    add juju when we go 4 wide. a tall task for any team.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    All I want from the Steelers this year is to punch the Patriots in the mouth. Far too often I see teams play scared to lose against New England and it angers me to no end, including Pittsburgh. Stand up to these guys and play football. Say what you want about Seattle and Baltimore, but historically they do not fear New England. I want Pittsburgh to be one of those teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    By that point he may very well be part of the mix, but I left him out because he's a rookie and has to prove it first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How are the Steelers going to cover Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell plus their stable of RBs?:shrug:

9. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    By getting to Brady in a 3 man rush, which is the staple to beating them. If Heyward, Tuitt, and Dupree can apply pressure, I feel confident Shazier can take away one of their slot guys and it's up to the secondary to take care of the rest. It's been done before.

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Not Happening. It's exactly why the Steelers lost to them in the AFCCG. Marsha is probably still laughing about that approach.

The best way to beat Brady is by long sustained offensive drives that keep him on the bench. Then when he is on the field blitz him from all different angles with different DE's, CB's and LB's. Hit him a tad late early on if you have too even if it means taking a roughing the passer call against you. That's exactly how the Falcons were doing it being up 28-3 in the SB before the coaches brain farted the victory away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's the highest drafted wr in a long time. he'll be in the mix proven or not. :cool:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree, we have to reach out and touch him early on. counter his 3's with 7's. :cool:

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Sad thing is... Patriots offense will be even better this year than it was last year. The Steelers defense will be adequate to above average against any team whose QB is not named Brady, Rogers or Wilson. I don't think the Steelers D will improve enough to compete with the Patriots... that would take a drastic improvement to the level of Broncos '15 D, Seahawks '13 D, Steelers '08 D or Ravens '00 D. Not gonna happen. TJ Watt is still a year away... we can't expect a rookie OLB to get 5+ sacks and make the pro bowl. Harrison + Watt along with Dupree will have some good games.. no doubt about it, but QBs like the ones listed above get rid of the ball too quickly and accurately. The secondary is still 1 CB away and Mitchell is not nearly as good as Ryan Clark was. The jury is still out on Burns and Davis. Too many questions on defense and too much inconsistency on offense to make a Super Bowl run, IMO. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Renegade is right. The best way to beat them is to generate a pass rush without blitzing. THAT is an actual plan that has worked in the past.

Your plan is to blitz the **** out of a guy that can instantly spot where the blitz is coming from pre snap? Good luck with that, he'll be in stitches from laughing so hard. We need to get pressure on him while taking away the underneath stuff. That means leaving more guys in coverage, not less.

As for long sustained drives, maybe if we go back in time and put Bus on the field but our offense isn't designed for that now. Not saying its not a good way to beat Brady by keeping him off the field, but our team needs to beat him in a shootout. Put up 30-35 points and hold them to about 28.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So, you're suggesting to beat NE we need to score more points than they do? Ok, I'm with you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Long sustained drives are not necessarily good or bad.

Shoot outs are not necessarily good or bad.

Either way, after we finish with the ball, they still get it. Our drives need to end with points and not punts. 7s not 3s. And the defense needs to create more of the opposite. It's really that simple.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The team is capable, but I'd say player health at the end of the season and playoffs will be the deciding factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    How about picking Brady off for once. Hasn't happened under Tomlin yet. Give credit where it's due, Brady does a phenomenal job taking care of the football and putting it only where his players can get it. But I also have never seen a quarterback bailed out of more dropped interceptions than Brady for his career. If there was a category of "Balls that should have been picked off", he would lead it in a landslide

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    time for little brother to grow up. tj.:hehehe::cool:

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    T J is not the only "little brother" that needs to grow up if we are going to best NE.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hope I'm wrong but I think Ben retires after this year so this season is boom or bust for us

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think Ben is one and done after this season as well, a 14 year career in this league is a full plate for any player, the only reason he came back this year was to avoid that 18M team claw back......

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    TJ is not the freak of nature that his brother is. There's gonna be a lot of disappointed people on this forum if that is what is expected.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At home

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He has 3 years left on his contract. If he retires next year he would still owe a little over $12M.

I'm not sure he retires then.