1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Colts sign Mike Wallace?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, Mar 18, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With so much drama surrounding the Rams and Redskins strongly considering signing Mike Wallace, I feel like we are all forgetting about the Colts. They could really use a deep threat to open up things for Wayne and Clark, if re-signed. It would cost them an extra $40 million or so, and they'd have to wait on a QB, but there are plenty of guys they could get in later rounds for that spot (Cousins, Osweiler, etc.). Wallace is a proven commodity, and opportunities like this don't come around often.

If the Colts go a different route, there's also the Vikings, which to my surprise hasn't been mentioned yet. They have a young QB in Christian Ponder who could really use a guy like Mike to lean on and build his confidence. Thoughts?

***EDIT***
    Congrats to GB_Steel, slickster10, and mdbates2 for picking up on the sarcasm! Partial credit to freakfontana and Steel_Elvis.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No, the Colts will not give up the 1st overall pick for Mike Wallace. lol

Some of you guys think way too highly of Mike Wallace. Nobody in the top 20 will give up their pick for Wallace, and I doubt anyone in top 25 will either

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm surprised to read this coming from you of all people.

No no no and no.

We need to stop with all this Mike Wallace crap.

4. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I was hoping the Patriots, 49er's, Bengals might make Wallace an offer because I would much rather have a late first round draft pick. I guess even that was wishful thinking on my part. The NFL knows Wallace plays soft like a pillow case, I guess....

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What??? You must be just pulling all of our chains.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Green Bay could be in the running, too. I've heard that they would unveil their new 7-wide formation featuring Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jermichael Finley. Alos, part of the reasoning in going after Wallace and implementing the 7-wide set is that Mark Murphy, Packers President, has a serious vendetta against BA, and would anticipate his head exploding upon first glimpse of the new offense.

Colts better get moving on their offer to Wallace before GB picks him up!

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I forgot about them. And since they don't even have to give up a top 5 pick in the first round, it's a downright bargain! They should give Pittsburgh a 2nd rounder too, just for to make it fair. You know, karma.

9. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    I heard the Lakers were thinking about signing Wallace. They need someone to stretch the court. Doesw anyone think they will give up a first round pick?
    :superman: :superman: :superman: :swordsman: :swordsman: :swordsman: :shrug: :shrug:

10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    on a different note I think there should be 1 sticky Wallace thread instead of 10 separate ones, this first page is full of Wallace :dizzy:

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    mike wallace will be with the steelers and the organization has handle this situation as well as possible.Now, we had to make alot of tough decision to retain him,so I hope he will perform up to his new contract.Bring back Hines as an asst wr coach.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I#m thinking a bridge or two may have been burnt with Hines. If he comes back to coach, it will be in a few seasons. Besides, I think he likes the idea of doing TV more.

13. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Anyone heard the rumor that the Power is in the running for Wallace?

Just wonderin'...

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think wallace would have alot more teams interested if he would have actually burnt them badly. one long TD every now and thenagainst a few teams is not enough for them to make him a must have player. i think we as steeler fans value him alot more then some others do. yea he'd be nice but a first rounder and a big contract is alot for him. it would be different if he burnt the patriots time after time or something or what ever other team name you want to put in there, but he hasen't. hines burnt teams more often then wallace has per game. he's fast but didn't make a huge difference against any one team for them to think he's a must have. ya know what i'm saying? :cool:

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing I have to say in Wallace's defense is that alot of times he was open and Ben missed him. That being said, he is considered a one trick pony and who would want to pay alot for just one trick. Really there are very few qb's in the league that can throw a really good deep ball. BUT maybe with Todd Haley coming in we won't be going deep ALL the time and maybe Wallace will be forced to adapt his game and put a few more tricks up his sleeve.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly my thoughts. Of course, as fans we're always going to value certain players on our team more than others - I'm guessing your average fan elsewhere will have heard of Emmanuel Sanders, for example - but the upshot is that after the first half the season, where he was on fire, Wallace disappeared in terms of highlight reel play.

What's also counted against Wallace this season is the sheer number of decent WRs available. If he were the only big name receiver to be up for grabs, maybe it would have been very different. But it wasn't, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.

17. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Will the colts give their first overall pick for Wallace?
    The packers, with their best receiving core in the leauge might be a dark horse to get Wallace?
    Who are you people? Lol

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Congrats to GB_Steel, slickster10, and mdbates2 for picking up on the sarcasm! Partial credit to freakfontana and Steel_Elvis.

19. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Wrong.

"If I get Peyton Manning and it's a healthy Peyton Manning, I'm thinking Super Bowl," Mayock said. "From my perspective, the first thing I would do is I would try to make Mike Wallace from the Pittsburgh Steelers a very wealthy young man. He's a restricted free agent so I would have to give up my first-round pick, but my first-round pick is only No. 25. I would be happy to give up No. 25 and then I would get after Mike Wallace, try to put together a deal with him.

"After that, remember that [tight end] Dallas Clark — Peyton's old teammate — is out there as a free agent; it wouldn't cost me anything. I would be trying to augment my offensive firepower because Peyton is used to dealing with an average defense; Denver's defense is fine. I'd be really just getting everybody I could get on the offensive side of the ball and say, 'OK, Peyton, it's up to you to win a Super Bowl. Let's go.'"

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He said, "I doubt anyone in the top 25..."

You said, "Wrong. This other guy says he would if he was #25..."

I'm not quite sure that's the "Gotcha!" you think it is.

21. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :-D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

22. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I simply said 'wrong', there was no 'gotcha' in my statement.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Like I said, nobody in the top 20 will give up their 1st round pick, I pretty much guarantee that. Better WR's were available in FA if teams were that desperate for one. Now, I still doubt that anyone in the top 25 will give up their pick, but I admit there's a chance. I stand by my comment of no top 20 though.

We'll see what happens, but I'm still expecting Wallace to remain a Steeler.

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, I admit I inferred a bit, so I apologize for that. But he's not wrong. He gave his opinion about the top 25, and you rebutted with someone else's opinion about #25 exactly. He'll only have been wrong if Wallace signs with someone in the top 20. Based on what he said, he won't be wrong if Wallace signs with #21, and he won't be wrong if Mayock suggests the Colts take him with the #1 pick. I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'm being nitpicky.