1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will The Bus stop in Canton this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Jan 31, 2012.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I REALLY hope that Jerome Bettis gets in this year. Honestly, I would LOVE to see Kevin Green get in also. He was my favorite defensive Steeler when I was a kid and 1st started watching the Steelers. What odds do you give Jerome of getting in. I say Kevin Green is just an honourable mention because this is not his first time being there.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Bettis will get in this year.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I love Jerome. He will get in the Hall of fame for sure. But, I'd be shocked if he got in on the 1st ballot. Hope he does though.

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He was on the ballot last year so it wouldn't be his 1st time. Also Dermonti Dawson has been on it before too.

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I`m a big fan of "Dirt" Dawson, but I can understand with all the Steelers already in the Hall, why it might take him a few rounds...
    The Bus?!?!
    How can he not have made it last year?!?!
    That is a flat out disgrace, and just goes to show how hard it is gonna be for future(deserving), Steelers like Hines, Ben... etc, to get in!
    There are too many to pick by name, but Hines would be a crying shame if he didn`t get in right off the bat... if "The Bus", can`t, Who Can?!?
    My personal vote would go to Miller, whenever he retires, but I know (sadly), that probably won`t happen...
    I know it`s an exclusive club...
    But, Dam mit... we have, and have had some pretty da mn special players here, over the years...
    Is it our fault( or the nominated players), that we pick the best of the best, and teach `em how to play the game better than the others?!?!?!
    Just go ahead, and add a Steeler`s wing to the Hall of Fame!
    We deserve it!!!

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the problem with Heath is that he is playing in this ridiculous fantasy football generation where blocking and pass protecting don't win you any points. As far as a fundamental football player he is great and I love him. I'm not sure Hines will get in on the 1st ballot but I think Troy will and that makes me very happy! Also I know he's not with us anymore but I bet Allen Fanneca goes in as a Steeler too.

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    BlountForce...(And don`t think I didn`t notice the spelling of "Blount...)...
    Don`t really wanna argue with you, because I agree..
    But, as good as Troy has been, why should he get into the hall,(1st ballot)
    When someone like Hines... Who holds pretty much ALL of our receiving records, AFTER the likes of Swann, and Stallworth, have been here?
    Troy is really better than Mel Blount? or Donnie Shell?
    He is great, no doubt, but I don`t buy that he is better than them..
    Faster? Yes. Better tackler... NOPE!!!
    Which brings me back to my original point..
    Yes, Franco Harris was " great" before we had the Bus... but, no opposing defense knew that they were just gonna get run over by Harris, and didn`t have to worry about Rocky Bleir, or Bradshaw throwing to one of his weapons...
    When we ran at the enemy with Bettis, they knew what was coming, and couldn`t stop it...
    They knew Darn good and well, that Cowher liked to "take the air outta the ball", and chew up the clock... get first downs to win the game... and,...
    THEY STILL COULDN`T STOP IT!!!
    When they knew what was coming, and couldn`t stop it anyhow... that makes the case, to me, that he should be a lock for a first round induction to the Hall of Fame...
    Since he Wasn`t, How could you think anyone is?!?!

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't get me wrong I think that Hines deserves it for sure! I'm just saying it for Troy because he has been Defensive Player of the year as far as LEAGUE WIDE and he has really been the biggest anchor of our d in these recent years. I mean he is a true difference maker and can do it all. Hines is awesome and WE all know that but he's more of a possession guy than a big spectacle like T.O. going deep and all that. And you know the Hall of Fame wants the big spectacle guys. And yes I DO NOT think that Troy is better than Mel Blount.

9. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Looking at the list of finalists, I cannot see how he doesn't get in this year.

10. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me, only way Bus doesn't get in is if guys don't want to vote for more than 1 RB and they decide to vote Curtis Martin instead of Bus. I think this is why both of these guys got left out last year - because the voters only wanted 1 RB at a time and they voted Marshall Faulk.

While both are deserving (I believe at the time they retired Martin was #4 all time rushing and Bus #5), the Bus did it as a bruiser in an era where bruising RB's didn't really last. And he has a ring, which Martin does not.

Here's hoping Bus gets his name called on Saturday. If he does, I'll be in Canton in early August!

11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    He MUST be there.
    Can't wait to hear his speech in August!
    And... Coach Cowher introducing him?

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope it's this year because I'm going to use some of my vacation to go to Canton to see it!
    "The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round..............." :towel:

13. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Apparently - Nothing gets thru anybody's head anyomre. Nobody in the entire NFL should be elected into the HOF until LC Greenwood gets inducted.
    And I'm talking throughout the NFL!
    It's demeaning that he is not there yet!

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it would be awesome for L.C. to be there. Isn't Mean Joe the only one from that line that is in? Is White in? Ernie Holmes never made it either right?

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think he gets in this time.

16. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    dirt should, and most likely will, get in before bettis. dirt was in the top three in the history of the league to play his position (webster, stephenson).

bettis will probably eventually get the call but i don't think it'll be this year.

17. csykescollege

csykescollege Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    sorry but troy is probably the best player anyone here will ever see, all of the before mentioned players were some of the greatest to ever play but not one of them could do what troy can do. He has been the best at his position in the league for almost a decade and he does it in a day where the league is so focused on the passing attack. He was and still is the only player like himself in the league. I don't know any defensive player that not only had the instincts but the ability to act on those instincts and make play the way he does. I have seen a lot of football and a lot of great players over the years but never anyone remotely close to combining the speed, toughness, instincts, passion and over all skill set into one amazing package. yes he has made mistakes and missed opportunities, so has every other single player. i mean come on, all you have to do is youtube him and it is evident. some of the plays he has made ,from the pick six against cincy where he goes BUS status to get into the end zone to the finger tip dive pick against san diego, are simply just artwork on the field. Not to mention the guy is a class act and has done nothing but be an outstanding role model and teammate. The only real knock is his injuries which he obtains because he is flying around the field at full speed giving up his body for the play. And this is really a moot point, because comparing players from 30 years ago to ones now is just not practically applicable or even fair with everything that has changed both on the field and off it. i could count you off play after play or tell you he has a DMVP and 2 rings but Every saturday night for the past decade o coordinators everywhere have had horrible hair flowing nightmares about the day to come, and i sleep sound knowing the greatest defensive player and maybe person I've watched is on my side.

other note lc not being in is a tragedy that stings more and more each year
    no question jerome should get in and if he doesn't something is wrong and since i already believe something is wrong I'm counting on him not getting in this year.
    hines should get in and he will
    ben will get in. him, montana, brady, bradshaw, aikman, elway, staunch, starr, griese, plunkett are only abs with multiple superbowls and plunker is only one retired not in hall of fame. if he can get another he will be first ballot but either way he will be there someday. ps hopefully eli will join this group.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The bus,parcell,martin,haley are locks ...now the other three I don't know

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, Curtis Martin never impressed me too much. He never meant as much to his team on offense as the "Bus" did to Pittsburgh. Martin had a lot of yards, but it was pretty unmemorable.

I think Chris Carter should get in, to me he is one of the best WR's I have ever seen. He could do it all, his technique was flawless...Michael Irvin can't hold a candle to Carter's skill.

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Got a question. You guys confusing Dirt Winston with Dermonte Dawson? I can't remember Dawson being refered to as Dirt. Could be a brain fart but I can't find it in there. :swordsman:

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think the Bus will get in this year, unfortunately

23. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Bus won't get in this yr if Dirt does. Greene won't either. Bus should get in but it'll be next yr. As for Hines, will be a tough road for him. If Chris Carter is having difficulty getting in, Hines is going to. We all know Hines deserves it hands down, but blocking (as with the TE position) doesn't count for much in eyes of thr voters. Mayeb his SB MVP will eventually get him over the top. All I know is, if/when that day comes, I will be the first one in line in Canton to congratulate #86!!

24. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dirt Dawson is his nicname :herewego:

25. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    none of your locks are 'locks.'

if i were to suggest that any of them had an advantage over the rest of the finalists, i would suggest parcells and haley.