1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Steelers football be less stressful?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blitz, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    A thought has occured to me.

Big Ben was exceptionally clutch in the 4th quarter and led a significent percentage of the wins in his career here by clutch means.

We all know what those anticipation-building, sometimes completely un-necessary games do to our blood pressure and mental health. Considering many of those games it was Ben's play that got the team in those situations.

Is this finally the era where Steelers football is more cut and dry and pleasantly predictable like most other franchises get to enjoy? Will we know the losses by halftime and the wins? Can we cut our aspirin and beer budgets?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Ben is one of those QB's you don't mind having the ball, being down by 4 with 2 minutes to go.
    There aren't a lot of those.

Thing about the Steelers, they've also had defense that you didn't mind being down by 4 with 2 minutes to go - because they could score a TD.

2022 is a rebuild and they've got a lot of new faces all around.
    With a rookie QB in the game, there will be times you're high-fiving and the next minute throwing your beer at the TV.
    With Mitch, I really don't know what to expect with him after sitting a year.
    With Mason, I spent a lot of time in the 'WTF???" mode. (I like him and want him to be the best, but it appears there were too many WTF's.)

I expect them to run the ball and play good defense mostly, to allow the QB's to settle in- which would lend credence to a more predictable outcome.
    But they may have other ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Fandom of any NFL team is stressful. Most games are close and come down to a handful of plays. This is true of even the bottom tier NFL teams. When you allow yourself to be emotionally involved with following a team, you are most certainly going to be sitting on the edge of your seat most Sundays.

This season may be even more stressful. You will be watching a team lead by one QB who is now on his third team in six years, and another that is an unproven rookie. I think a lot of us are going to miss Ben more than we think in 2022.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    No.
    :towel:

Consider what is considered a "non-stressful" game.

The Steelers have a big lead... The league has changed the rules to make huge score swings more likely. Almost no lead is safe in recent years. And it will be difficult for the offense to build up enough of a lead.

The Steelers are way behind... That means the defense failed from how they are needed, and the offense wasn't able to make up the difference. That will produce stress in the form of anger.

The only teams with non-stressful games are where the "fans" have tuned out, and don't care about the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish I could be less stressed, I have been watching them for over 50 years . It seems like I would like to see more preparation better play calling , better execution and fundamentals. Maybe we will see some of these qualities this year?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Did a quick Google search. Since 2003 30% of games were decided by 7 points or less, in 2016 that number was actually 52%. Point being the NFL in general will be stressful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think having a Carousel at the QB position will bring down stress. The starting QB is going to get lit up by the fans if the Steelers are not ahead by 17.

As long as the Steelers defense could keep it within a TD, you could always count on Ben to work his magic in the 4th QTR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I've been a fan from Noll until now, and I don't remember a year of it not being stressful. I can remember games when it wasn't, but never a whole season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not sure I would want to watch. Boring boring boring

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Stress comes with the territory of watching football. I've had hard times being a Pitt fan and an easy time being a Clairton Bears fan. Being on top or having little expectations presents different kinds of stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, in times past, we have heard alot of great things(hype) coming out of training camp. Only, to be brought back down to earth ... during pre season games. So, I trust my football eyes. I believe, pre-season games will give us a great indication of how the season will be ... barring, any major injuries of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Over the past 20 years... the only fan base that wasn't stressed out was in New England. Good coaching, having the GOAT at QB and execution on the field made life easy for Patriots fans. Now that the Mac Jones era has begun.... Patriots fans can start to feel the stress and frustration that we've felt over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You base your expections for the season on 1/2 a game worth of snaps? Preseason snaps no less