1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Marcus Allen receive more playing time then T Edmunds.?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tom Bradley ex PSU coach. Lot of bodies on the back end now.

Will they package some of these guys for a LB?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I said before, Edmunds can play Linebacker and Marcus could play Strong Safety on running plays within the dime defense.

On passing plays, flip them in the same dime defense since Marcus Allen is good at short to intermediate range covergae and Edmunds has the range to go anywhere of his beckon call on the field.

Now, who gets more time? Edmunds by far. He has the athletic capabilities that Allen dreams of without the coverage limitations. Allen is your throwback box safety who is amazing in run support but average in the passing game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But both are still better than the average LB in pass coverage. These type guys are our new LB/S/whatever you want to call them. Inside outside front rear pressure can come from anywhere and everywhere type players. A whole dang defense full of safeties. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

My thoughts exactly mac. We are on the same neurological wavelength here in terms of what we are seeing what the Steelers are doing. Just because Allen is limited in coverage as a safety does not translate into his possible linebacking capabilities in pass coverage. He is a short to intermediate range coverage player with more explosive traits than the average inside linebacker at that.

Best of all, our new Defensive Backs coach is the perfect guy to do it. He has the tools in his toolbox to make something.

Let us see what he can craft. :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think when evaluating ILB vs Safety needs alot of us forget something from time to time.

We all want that ILB that never leaves the field. Or we want a Safety capable of being strong in the run game.

I actually think the latter may be slightly more important than the former, but here's my point:

We need to get off the field on 3rd down.

It's that simple. I dont care how many LBs or how many DBs we put on the field on 3rd down. Do what is necessary to get off the field.

The answer is highly athletic hybrid S/LBs.

Edmunds is gonna help us get off the field of 3rd dow .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I want all our draft picks to succeed, I am sorry I have to disagree. Leonard Fournette and his 300 pd lineman will wear these hybrid players down. Will not be able to shed the blocks and Fournette will run right over them. These guys wont want no part of his 240 pounds trying to run them over. We saw how this played out in both meetings with Jacksonville this year.
    It doesn't work. I think what you all are forgetting that in college they (might) go up against a college team that has a couple pro players on their team save Bama, OSU Clemson. but when they get into the pro game everybody can play. If Jville can keep Bortles playing at a high level, JVille is not going to go away. Philly can play that type of game also. with Aijay.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    All college players go up against college players until they become pros.

Tackling is an art and there are many ways to get guys to the ground. It's not always about having to go head on with a RB every play to tackle him. All these draft picks played against 300 LB. linemen in college too and some big backs. It's not like 260lb. LBers are the only guys that can tackle fournette. C'mon wardis. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The only aspect of my post that can be considered hilarious fanforlife is your inability to rebuttal any of the points made. Now, if you have any issues with what I said and would like to give your own opinion on why you disagree, I implore that you should.

As it stands now, the only comical aspect of the post appears to be the person who continues to find the general narrative hilarious without offering any substance within discussion to prove his claims. :thumbs_up:

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well there's only 2 ways this can go.....1 - we are gonna look like geniuses with this with this new age, state of the art defense,with a bunch of undersized SS/ILB athletes running around or 2- a bunch of fools for not being able to address our needs at FS/ILB. If we are committed to this "hybrid" defense we better have a Plan B in place for some of the more physical teams like JAX that will run it down our throats and some of the smarter teams like NE who will use their hurry up offense to trap us in our D that's on the field by not allowing substitutions and exploiting that...

My 2 biggest fears are still the fact that we failed to address losing Shazier with someone similar, unless Bostic surprises and becomes a 3 down LB. Vince will be coming off the field on 3rd downs,typically the Mack(Bostic) doesn't in our D. Will opposing offenses allow us the luxury of wholesale substitutions?
    I truly expect the more well coached teams to try and take advantage of all our specialized defensive units...
    To me ideally you want players who can play in any down and distance and not have to rely on guys who are good at something and not so good at the other like tackling/coverage. My other biggest fear is still the deep ball which we are relying on a couple guys with drawbacks that have been discussed already.

I'm old school myself and always think of football as a game of strength and power. I know times are changing but I also know that games can and are still being won with that philosophy. It will be very interesting to see if we can seem to find a balance that is necessary to succeed.....

10. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That all sounds great/plausible but it seems to only address the "beyond the line of scrimmage issues". How do you feel this helps with the "behind the line" game... getting after the QB... tackles for losses?

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    C'mon man your killing me 98% of these so called 300 lb college linemen are going to be selling insurance after their college careers are over.
    When the 4th quarter comes we will see the art of tackling a big back with professional 300 lb lineman doing the blocking. As great as Shazier was/ is he had trouble shedding until he bulked up. As the steel deal commented what do we do with power teams? Unless Bortles falls off the planet or Tom Coughlin forgets what won him Superbowls the JAGS aren't going anywhere. How about the Eagles, Rams? They can play smash mouth also.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Tomlin believes that Bradley can correct the issues Sean Davis has with his game. Given Bradley's background and his success at UCLA where he had one of the best passing defenses in the FBS and nevermind PAC-12, I also would concur with Tomlin.

That being said, do I have faitht that Sean Davis can be that single high Free Safety? I do but cautiously. Bradley I trust given his history. Davis is another matter.

Time will tell.

13. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny thing is I don't think of Davis being anywhere near the LOS... Hilton is the.only db I think of and that's from the edge.

Having said that... I agree with "time.will tell" and I'm sure as hell looking forward to.watching what the new coach will do... I hope we won't be.cursimg bradey *and* bradley this year

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So who do you think can play FS effectively well that is currently on the roster? I personally don't think we have that guy yet either. It's a crowded Safety room already...don't we usually only dress 3?

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Likely Sean Davis.

He has the athletic capabilities to do it. Keep in mind he has not had too many injuries in his career and led the team in pass deflections and interceptions a season ago.

His issue's lie in his tackling form and discipline overall. He needs to correct that. Tom Bradley will see to it that he does; Sean's third position change in three years the same.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok. Two things thought Tomlin already said Burnett is getting the first shot and to me that speaks volumes based on Davis's superior athletic abilities. Why wouldn't you give the guy with not only those advantages but also familiarity advantages...to me that points to the diagnosis worries that you and I both have. He may have the ability to get where he is going...but no idea how to get there and when. A lot of speed can be nullified by a lack of awareness...

The second to me is ,who else can do it should he fail or be injured and are we left with another Shazier situation with no back up and plan....

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

While Burnett will get the first shot, Davis will get his. If anything, I would imagine Tomlin banking on Davis to be the Free Safety, Burnett playing the dime 'backer and Edmunds being the Strong Safety.

Towards your second point as to why not give the guy with the superior athletic capabilities, as I said, Davis has now switched toward three different positions in three different years; Slot Corner/Strong Safety in year one, Strong Safety full time in year two and now likely to be the Free Safety in year three.

A big portion of this is going to be counted upon Tom Bradley's coaching. Given his track record for being known as a stickler for the fundementals and tackling, I believe Sean Davis will take over as the Free Safety sooner than later.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Just playing devils advocate....you are saying Davis will get his shot,which may ultimately happen but per Tomlin ,Burnett is getting his first. That says something to me. You are saying maybe they are hesitant because of him learning yet another position but he will ultimately end up there with Burnett at dime. So why wouldn't you give the guy you are " banking" on the first chance and the most opportunity to do it...
    Not saying your prediction won't happen but like I said Burnett getting his shot first says something..Imo
    Burnett is getting up there in age and wasn't playing much if any FS at GB so I don't understand why they assume he can do it here....idk maybe we are in for a surprise or change in our single high approach,hopefully because I just don't see that guy on our roster that can do it.....whether it's from lack of athletic ability or instincts.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We are in better shape than last year's defense already. We score with this high power offense and make these teams play a game they are not built to play. That's what I would do.:cool:

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac, I am all in for Steelers winning and winning big. I agree we have much better talent this year on the back end .
    All I am saying is when we play physical teams, power football teams the size difference will be a mismatch.
    And JAX, Eagles, Ram's can play power football. Maybe denying us a Superbowl trophy.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not when they have to play catch up. That power game will go out the window. We are not talking a huge difference in size. It's not like we are using small corners to tackle. Of course Hilton has shown he can handle the big guys just fine. We also have some big LBers and big D Linemen. Not worried this year as much as last year. :cool:

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I like Allen.... he'll get more snaps because he'll be better on ST.... he may even push Sean Davis for playing time at SS........ I also see him more as that LB/S Hybrid than Edmunds

Cajun

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac, when is the last time you saw a Steeler blow out? It is usually nail biters.:lolol:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    True Ward.:lolol::cool:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When they beat the Titans last season.