1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Haley get any input on the draft?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 16, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    My guess is Haley will agree with what everyone in the building and nationwide is thinking, which is they need to improve the offensive line. However, I'm wondering if Todd happens to have his eye on any new toys in the draft, will Tomlin and Colbert let him have some input? The position I'm looking at in particular is RB.

Tim Hightower was drafted after Haley had been with the Cardinals as OC for a year. He had 34 catches in his first season (and 63 the following year!)

Under Haley in KC, Jamall Charles had over 40 receptions I believe every year he was there.

He also drafted Dexter McCluster as a RB/WR tweener.

If only we still had Stefan Logan...

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm sure he will have input into the process...most coaches probably do. But it doesnt mean they will draft said players.

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think he will give input for sure. I expect he may give more than BA would have. For instance, he may see areas of weakness that others haven't pegged yet. Maybe he wants a 2nd catching TE. Maybe he knows we don't have a guy who can catch the ball the way he likes out of the backfield. In addition, I expect he will have say into HOW someone would be used in his offense.

4. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I really think so.Like TarheelFlyer said,He may see something about our offense that needs tweaked that others have not seen/or noticed?

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if i likes somebody he will give their names to tomlin

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would have to think that if he is going to be the OC then he will have a vision for how he wants the offense to be ran. Under that assumption (yes i know what assuming gets) I would have to think he knows what he wants to do and will provide his input to achieve what he wants.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Whoa...if YOU like someone...Haley will give their name to Tomlin for you? Freak has some connections, haha.

8. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So then BA preferred to have a 3rd rate offensive line protecting his boy Ben ? I highly doubt it. Give the guy just a tad bit of credit. I'm sure Haley will have his wish list just like BA did and I'm sure he won't get everything he wanted just like BA didn't. I'm with ya on maybe another good receiving tight end but other than that the biggest area of weakness we have has already been pegged for the last 3 years and that's offensive line, offensive line and offensive line ;)

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He has baron batch im excited to see what he does with him. Who knows he could be the starter next year. From what i read he rehabbed hard and healed quickly. Since then he has been doing nothing but training. If i remember correctly he could have played towards the end of the season. He seems to have the ethic and drive and is the exact back for haley.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He said he is a big fan of Heath Miller, I think he would want to get another big TE in here... I'm looking for Heath to have a big year next year...

12. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I would hope all coaches have some input. Here is how I wish it took place.
    1. Top player wish list ( say top 20 players in the draft )
    2. Player Rankings by position from your wish list
    3. Position of need
    4. BPA at position of need
    5. unknown talent that blew your doors off at combine and interview+team visit.

If a Top player happens to fall to us, we take him. If multiple players are available from the wish list, choose by ranking. If we find ourselves drafting by position of need, and that person is the BPA, then take him. If we are drafting a position of need and the BPA is a stud at some other position, this is where the talent evaluation and scouting makes or breaks a team. Have they done their homework in evaluating these players properly in all aspects.( strength, conditioning, work ethic, longevity, injury prone etc...) Is that BPA better for the team than the position player of need? Lastly draft players that may be on the outside looking in but are coachable and fit the Steeler mold.

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin is no fool.He knows that haley has a great eye for talent and this is what we have been missing in the last few years.

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    A "Stephan Logan" is going to be missed this year if they start to pull Brown off returns to protect him....we could be right back into the below average return game pretty quickly.

HACK

15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good post. I have been contemplating what happens in this process. This is close to my intuition and unfamiliar mind and hypothetical scenario.

What a fun job these guys have. I just don't think I would enjoy it NEARLY as much if I was working for some other team.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Of Course he will......Maybe he actually gets a pass catching threat at TE those guys seem to be there in the mid rounds or maybe he actually gets a FB who is a true FB a straight up blocker...

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've been thinking about this too. I wonder if they will chance this Batch kid. Or Sanders could do it again. He had some totes with it the year before when they were sorting out who had the job. Both will probably be a step down from Brown though.

Nobody really harped on it too much, but remember how good Holmes was at this too. If he wasn't drafted so high, I bet he would have killed at this gig with some more touches. Oh well, we'll never know...

18. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's why I think it'd be wise to to grab a RB to be the lightning to Redman's thunder

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think returns will be sanders job or the rookie we pick to add to the wr group. :cool:

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers don't need to draft a rb they have too many other needs. On the roster Redman, Dwyer, Clay, and Barron Batch. Their needs are o-line which should be priority #1 also need a mlb, nt, fs.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I doubt it, hasn't seen enough film on current players on the roster to have an opinion.
    Maybe next year.