1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Goodell Lose His Job?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm just throwing this out there.

NONE of what the media is now accusing Goodell of being or doing is NEW news! We've known this since the Spygate days. But those of us spouting it then were called conspiracy nuts.

I'm accepting apologies.

2. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not. The coverup is always worse than the crime.

all of this might have gone down after Spygate if only the media cared.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Basically what he said.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not really shocked about this at all.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good luck with that my friend.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with him:

Tweet.jpg

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao:Worth a shot...

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just saw this thread, I replied in another.
    Why are Steelers and Giants checking the findings?
    As reported on ESPN ticker.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :-D

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Rooney and Mara are (without much argument) the 2 most respected owners in the league. Having them involved gives the dog and pony show an aura of legitimacy.

Can't wait for this to backfire on Roger the Dodger. He's in full CYA mode. He's ducking behind this to deflect the crapstorm coming at him. But I don't think this is going away for him.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what I was trying to convey, doesn't matter if Goodell makes them money, do you think they want all this bad press and negativity?

Power of the press and public outrage.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I retract my statement, it really hasn't gone very far at all. This investigation is a sham as this guy apparently works for a law firm that has defended the NFL before. This is just one buddy helping another buddy out. Nothing will be uncovered in this investigation. Powerful people are almost always sheltered, Goodell is no exception to that rule.

The NFL will make this go away

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They are doing a bang up job making it go away so far. This isn't going away any time soon and the investigation will only fuel the fire, sham or not.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When Nixon was investigated by John Mitchell people knew that something was terribly wrong. When you have this whole "buddy system" crap it's just ridiculous. I would love to see goodell sent packing but I highly doubt it's going to happen. MAN I just wish we could find a video of him saying something racist or homophobic. THEN we would be able to get rid of him. I guaranTEE you if he said something about Michael Sam he would be history. PLEASE TMZ find THAT video! LOL.

15. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    So now, the question: Who do you think that, hypothetically, could be the new Commissioner if Gooddell is fired?

There's always a possibility that the new commissioner shows worse criteria regarding Football (particularly, those rule changes) and off-field issues.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He should lose his job but I vote no. The democratic process is not entact for this guy. I do not see how this could possibly be construed as independent investigation.

18. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It should. There are lies here. Worse than that there is an issue about making the abuse of women lesser than it is I believe that the only person with any decency in all of this is Willia Gay. Bischotie and Goodell should resign.Either that or we should atmit that it is ok to beat up women.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I love Mark Schlereth, my favorite analyst. He made an excellent point on Mike and Mike, that during bountygate, Goodell suspended Peyton because he said incompetence is not an excuse, it's your responsibility to know whats going on with your team.

Well Rodge, the tape was in your office, and you didn't know it? You either saw the tape and lied or you are incompetent, so whats your punishment to be?

I know, he should be fired or resign, either one works for me.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What if say Budweiser pulls there ads?
    Now you are talking.

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They won't, Budweiser likes making money and the NFL makes everyone money. Budweiser will make a comment to pretend like they actually care, but they don't and they aren't going to void the deal they have with the NFL.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They don't need the NFL, the NFL needs them. If Anheuser busch even gets a whiff that they may suffer consumer loss, they will pull their ads in a nano second. Social media drives everything today, new times.

They have already made a statement to the NFL to clean up their act, Raddison pulled its ads from the Vikings, Goofell the punk is in hiding, owners are getting slammed left and right, the NFL is in the midst of its biggest PR nightmare ever, they are getting cut to ribbons every day on radio.

23. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    The "Daily Show" excerpt with Jon Stewart was DEAD ON!!!
    OOPS, I was going to include a link to a youtube video of that outtake, but it is no longer available.
    Apparentley, that "Uploader", has closed their account.
    Wonder what they got paid for that?
    The hypocrisy, of changing the suspension, after the 2nd video went viral/ 24/7 news, is disgusting!
    Rodge already knew what Ray did, and so did the Cravens owners/front office...
    Ozzie even went so far as to say, "He never lied to us"...
    And they supported him.
    Until everyone actually saw the video of it.
    And I agree with the point about Roger holding Sean Payton accountable, for anything that happened within his organization, now saying he didn`t know the tape had been sent to the NFL front offices...!
    Yeah, Right!:bscow:
    As for what congress can do, I dunno...
    I recentley read that at least one senator(soon to retire, I forget the 80 yr old`s name), wants to hold a hearing, or pass a resolution, or whatever, regarding taking away the League`s tax exempt status, because Snyder doesn`t want to change his team`s derogatory name (RedSkins)...
    I forgot about the "Anti-trust exemption" the league is currentley granted, until I read Ray`s previous post...
    Personally, I don`t think Congress should be involved in any sports related matters, when there are so many more important things on their plate, that they refuse to do anything about, BUT...
    They do have some leverage to work with, if they so choose...
    And, as far as "Sponsorships",
    I did see an ad from Covergirl(I Believe), that had one of their models wearing Raven`s colored make up, to endorse the team, changed to her having a black eye, and the original headline, replaced with a call for users of their products to boycott the NFL...
    The heat`s getting hot, on dear old Rodge, and I would love to see him gone, although I still find it unlikely, and I`m not sure the next person would be any better.
    This is an old-school sport, in a "New School" world...
    I`d be shocked if there is a school out there that still lets kids play tackle football, on the playground at lunch time, like I did!:shrug:
    GO STEELERS!

24. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    After listening to Godell yesterday I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon. Unless Mueller finds some mud to sling! But from what i understand Mueller likes doing back 9's with the untouchable.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes not going anywhere unless its proved he viewed the tape or was told what was on it by authorities. Which might not be out of the question, apparently the latest news release states that Ravens knew exactly what happened in that video and yet they still backed him.

All it will take is for sponsors to start pulling their adds, the owners will turn on Goodell real fast if that happens. Goodell better hope no that the worst is over and its just damage control now.