1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will DeCastro play LG or Rg for the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mrn6, Apr 26, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley has shown a willingness to adjust his offence based on the strength's of his players. We could very well leave Decastro at RG and have him pull from there. We do need him at LG, but if he's a stud at RG but only good at LG, then we need to leave him where he is.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    For the record I would also pee myself. But that's really not all that unusual for me.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Whoever the coaches feel is better, Legursky or Ramon Foster will keep his spot. Decastro will fill in the other spot.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Absolutely agree with your post. We don't need another big bodied lazy fat guy just because someone thinks they have some "versatility". You are absolutely right that Glenn would get eaten alive playing OT in the NFL. He got abused when he played T in college. Because he doesn't have good feet and he relies too much on his long arms which caused him to hold when he played T and get burnt around the edge. The philosophy of taking the big fat guys who can play G or T has backfired on us and we need to stop drafting these guys. Not to mention that they are not conditioning and out of shape and getting injured because of that. That said, I think Glenn would be a good pickup for a G in the 3rd round although it isn't likely that he'll be there in the 3rd.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlin said he is a rg but we are going to put our best men on the field so who knows

6. mpturbo

mpturbo Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't see us getting another o-linman until the 4th round. I see us taking a LB/DE or Corner in the second and a DT in the third. Our next o-line pick should come early on Saturday.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He could play either. Assuming we don’t get another guard in this draft to replace Foster (which we might), then it will work well either way, because he’ll be a great complement to Foster, who is a decent puller but makes his money by powering straight through guys. I can’t tell you how many times he destroyed his man, and the pulling LG crashed into him, or fell down, or just didn’t block anyone.

Foster also showed he can play on the left. Gilbert, our projected LT, is a far superior run blocker to Max Starks. Running to the left with Gilbert-Foster and DeCastro pulling would be excellent. Running to the right with Foster-Colon and DeCastro pulling would be excellent. We can’t go wrong. And with Foster pulling behind either Gilbert-Decastro or Colon-DeCastro, that will be a huge improvement from anything we had last year as well. It will be good enough to be a threat, and it would nice if we could actually run it to both sides, wouldn’t it?

Redman and whoever else is getting the ball this year is going to have the best year of his career.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I totally agree and I'm leaning toward him replacing Foster. Essex may be done with foster being the swing OG/OT back-up. Legs is a better pulling OG than Foster so add that to Decastro locking down the right side I see our run game back to where it should be.

PS. I'm looking forward to the Ngata/Decastro WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cajun-

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Im going the other way....Im putting Decastro where ever he plays better at....and shoving another Guard into the other spot.

I still think they should double up on G in the second....and let the best 5 start.

HACK

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Wouldn't hate this. I am definitely leaning towards getting a NT and an OG with the next 2 picks in whichever order, preferring of course Ta'Amu and Brooks.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What I said before still applies, but I should have specified that a tackle does the same thing, by pushing Gilbert to guard.

Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Gilbert - Colon

or

Adams - Gilbert - Pouncey - DeCastro - Colon

Either way, if Mike Adams can be even serviceable as a rookie, our OL will be among the better in the league. Finally.

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, glad it gives you a, ahem lift, to start your day! LOL

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Mike Adams will have anything handed to him. I predict he will start the season on the bench. I don't think GIlbert will be kicking inside.

14. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    LT- Mike Adams
    LG- David DeCastro
    C- Maurkice Pouncey
    RG- Willie Colon
    RT- Marcus Gilbert
    This would be my preferred O-line.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If anyone should be kicked inside it should be Colon.......Let Adams battle with Gilbert for the tackle spot and the winner gets the LT spot and the other gets the RT spot,then let Colon and Decastro battle for the Guard spots I would hope Colon could win the LG spot....

IMO the OL would be best if it looked like Adams,Colon,Pouncey,Decastro,Gilbert...... I have always thougt Colon should be a OG we now have some potential talent to really consider moving him inside,,it would be great to draft 2 guys and upgrade 3 positions....

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right that he won't have anything handed to him, but they didn't draft a LT in the 2nd round to sit on the bench for long. Definitely not more than a year. My predictions are for the long-term. You're right that he could start on the bench, since Gilbert has experience and they were really prepared to go with him, and Foster has proven decent at RG.

But they took Adams so that Gilbert won't have to play LT. A lot of people think he may struggle there. I like him but I'm not 100%. I think that between Adams and Gilbert, a good LT will emerge. If it's Adams, who was rated much higher and has better tools, Gilbert will have a guard spot waiting for him, which he will be suited and happy to play.

PWP,

We all think Colon would be good inside. But Colon and the team clearly prefer not to do it that way. Colon has said so with his words, the team with its actions. They've had a ton of chances. Gilbert can also squeeze inside and has said he's willing to play either guard spot, wherever the teams want to put him. If Adams proves he's good enough to start, moving Gilbert inside becomes the natural option, to keep the most talent on the field.