1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

will Cowher coach next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not going to lie, if he comes back... what ever team he joins will be my casual 2nd favorite team.

More Coaches have bit the dust and prolly more to come, anyone think we see Bill on the sidelines next year?

2. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No I think he likes his current gig on CBS, is paid very well from that and stays away from the stress and commitments of a NFL coach.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    And.... I think deep down, he understands and cherishes his legacy in Pittsburgh. Accepting a position with another team doesn't necessarily negate his time in Pittsburgh, but - when you've been with the best, anything else is a step down. I think Cowher realizes that.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Too many unknowns.

- Money
    - Control
    - Team potential

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think if he were going to return to coaching he would have returned by now. I think he likes being on NFL Today show, being an NFL coach is so much work compared to doing what he does now. Plus coaches seem to want to go the young guy route anymore, but recently that hasn't been such a good way to go, but it sure did work for our Steelers!

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'll say yes.
    I believe he will take the Miami job. Although it is much more high stress than sitting behind a desk tossing out opinions, it just seems as though he would get really bored after a while doing that every Sunday. Plus there is no challenge to that gig and he looks like a person who welcomes big challenges. When he coached, he really got along with his team both on and off the field. I think he misses that alot. Plus, Miami will pull up a Brinks Truck during negotiations and he will not turn down the money.
    I may be wrong about Miami though and my second choice will be Dallas. In that case I won't root for him to be successful.
    Reasoning is - He would go from having owners such as the Rooneys to Gloria Estafan, the Williams Sisters and a bunch of other circus clowns if he went to Miami as opposed to Jerry Jones with Dallas. Either way the money will be much more than KC would ever offer.

7. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I agree. I think that when his wife died, it took the fire out of his belly, for good reason. He's a different man, in a different stage of his life, now. The only coaching job I can conceivably see him ever taking would be at No. carolina State.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt it, I don't think he has the drive to do that grind anymore. An NFL coach is up at the crack of dawn and doesn't finish until about 10:00pm, it's murder. But if there is one job out there that might lure him back in it's the Dolphins, one of the most highly regarded gigs in the NFL.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Maybe after Don Shula left.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He already publicly stated he is absolutely not coaching next year, not for the Dolphins or any other team. He said he is staying put at CBS.

It's possible he's lying, but I believe him. I think the fire is partially gone and I think he enjoys what he's doing.

11. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If he knows what's good for him he sure won't. It'd ruin his legacy in Pittsburgh and in the league. It's really hard to capture that same spirit on a new team. Most of the time when coaches come back from an extended leave they don't do well. He'd probably alienate most of his fans in Pittsburgh too. But, with that said, I'd still support him. Wisenhunt and the Cards are my favorite NFC team and I root for them most weeks.

12. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm so sorry for you. :grin:

13. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I hadn't thought of this until now, but except for one season, the Cardinals have been not so good under Whisenhunt. Could they fire him and then we get him back as OC?

14. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    sadly not going to happen as long as #7 is around

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I live in Phoenix (yes, I was at the game in October). Actually, the Cards had two good seasons under Whisenhunt. They made the playoffs and defeated the Packers in 09.

Whisenhunt's job is pretty stable, especially now that the team has turned it around in recent weeks. They still have an outside shot at the playoffs. They beat San Fran last Sunday, even with Skelton taking over for Kolb. I think the lockout hurt them; it took a while for the defense to gel. And Patrick Peterson is turning into a terrific CB.

16. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Haha yeah, they're not so good but I root for them. Not having a viable quarterback does that to a team.

17. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Right, they went 8-8, then 9-7 and won the NFC, then 10-6 with that 51-45 game over the Packers. My mistake.

18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think he ends up in NY when coughlins team chokes again

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    According to SI, maybe not. He says he does not miss it that much yet.
    Somebody will make him an offer he can't refuse and he will be back.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There was a time when I thought for sure he'd coach again. But he's been out 5yrs now. I'm begining to wonder.

Curious if anyone else wonders whether he'd still be the 'hot' sought-after coach that he seemed to be. The longer he sits out the less attractive he is. His ability to demand his pay, control, and situation gets less and less.

Maybe his view of life has changed, maybe his wife dying at young age has made him reassess things. Maybe he enjoys his TV job too much. I don't know.

BUt I will say this. If coaches again it will be in the NFL, you hear people speculate about him coaching NC St. I can't imaging BC sitting in some 17yr olds living room kissing his butt to committ to his University.

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we have it right there. He's always been a family man in my eyes. With his wife's passing, he likely sets even more priority on his daughters. And who can blame him?

And he's a type A personality type. While coaching got his blood pumping, it probably also brought more stress than maybe it was worth. I'm sure he's enjoying retirement with a nice cushy, relaxing job.

The only bad thing is he'll not easily be seriously considered for the HOF while voters think he still may come back to coach.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Cowher is very happy with cbs and until they are happy with him.He will be in the HOF soon. :herewego!: