1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Ben Finish His Career In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Yes, he'll ride off into the sunset wearing Black & Gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but he will be riding the pine when he retires.

65.3%
  3. No, he'll be released like Peyton

4.2%
  4. No, his career will end short due to injuries.

30.6%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    WIth Peyton being let go by the Colts, made me think about how rare it is for a QB to finish with the team he started with and whether Ben will retire a Steeler. I added additional choices as to how you think it will go.

I was real close to picking "released like Peyton", but Steelers consistently finish in the top of the league every year, meaning we most likely won't have a high draft choice to come in and force Ben out. So I'm going with rides off into the sunset wearing B&G :thumbsup:

What pick was Ben in the draft? Around 15th? And was anyone excited about it when we took him?

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Look up Troy Aikman and Steve Young, as you get older you don't recover from concussions as quickly. Ended their QB days early and Ben is on the same path.

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So no chance he'll be traded?

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I suppose there could come a day where the injuries catch up w/him, he can't really play anymore, but carries a huge salary cap hit. In that case I can see Ben getting released like Hines or Peyton or tons of other guys.

Who knows? Micheal Jordan didn't finish his career as a Bull, Gretzky didn't as an Oiler, Montana didn't as a Niner, So I won't be unheard of if Ben doesn't finish as a Steeler.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Your choices are a little tricky. I voted a shortened career due to injuries.

Buuuuut this could easily dove-tail with optioin #1, which is how I see it going down.

Riding off into the sunset in B&G as he retires early (in 4 to 5 yrs) because of (head) injuries.

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I voted yes.....the top one....no way we get rid of Ben our organization has way more class than the colts

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He was 11th if I remember right. I was excited and was suprised he was still available. I think the whole Eli Manning refusing to play in San Diego had something to do with it. I'll have to try and dig it up, but if I remember right the Giants said they would have taken Ben over Rivers if Eli stayed with San Diego. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the way I remember it.

8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I went with "released like Peyton." I think Ben is going to be one of those guys that when the skills decline will go to a lesser team and start instead of taking a backup position. IMHO

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Rumor had it that Cowher preferred Rivers to both Manning and Roethlisberger.

10. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think he will eventually become less of a QB than he wants to be but won't be willing to admit it. He has a ginormous ego that once the STeelers start to indicate their waning interest, will piss him off enough to go to another team.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    No, I really think that the fans will drive him out and he'll finish his career elsewhere.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    None :tease:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That does sound familiar :hmmm:

14. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I would go with "He retires a Steeler, with a career shortened by injuries".
    And, yes, I was excited when we drafted him, because, being from Akron, I had seen alot of his highlights from Miami of Ohio,and had heard how good he was at quarterback there.
    I just had a gut feeling that his upside/potential was real, and we had FINALLY gotten the qb we needed for so long!
    No way, did I dream he was going to do what he has so far, but during his 15-1 rookie year, I was constantly singing "Pittsburgh`s got a quarterback!!!... Pittsburgh`s got a quarterback!!! :)
    For a long time, I was a firm believer, that with the consistent talent we had, we didn`t necessarily need a "superstar" qb, just one who was decent and reliable. Who could get the ball to the open reciever, and not the ground, or the other team.
    O`Donnell, seemed to confirm that for me. Even though I will NEVER forgive him for losing the bowl to Dallas, he got us there, by having one of the best completion percentages in the league, even tho he wasn`t a very "flashy" player.
    Then, he goes completely against his norm, and throws TWO picks (to the same guy), to cost us the Superbowl!!! Ugggghhhh! That STILL hurts when I think about it. :(
    C`mon, Ben, get us a couple more, while you`re still healthy enough to do it!!!
    Here We Go Steelers!!! Here We Go!!!

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Big ben said like elway he only wants to play for one team i dont think he will go anywhere and he seems to be back on the right track so i dont see the steelers getting rid of him.

16. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    If Ben's production goes away, so will he. The Steelers don't care, it's all about business. Next in line!!!!

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If they don't get him some help (quality OL) and if he doesn't change his game a bit
    and get some of the weight off. His career will be shortened.The Steelers need to pick up
    a QB in this years draft. With a possibility of this person taking over when Ben can no longer go.

18. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Isn't Ben near undefeated in Cleveland. Just sayin'

There are so many quality QB's that come out in the draft lately that I really don't see the Rooneys holding on to Ben his entire career.

If they cut Hines Ward then all bets are off.

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The difference is a lot of players who had the kind of successfull and long career that Hines had with the same team would have bowed out gracefully and retired and it wouldn't have gotten to the point where they would have been cut. I don't see that happening with Ben. When his skills start to diminish he'll call it quits on his own and go out in black-n-gold colors. I love Hines but I'll be painfully embarrassed for him watching him ride the pine as a #4 receiver for another team.

20. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Joe Montana , Jerry Rice , Franco Harris , Brett Favre and a list of others which now includes Peyton Manning.
    Riddle.........What does Big Ben have in common with all these players?
    Once you find the answer you will then know that he will probably not finish his career in Pittsburgh.
    And now here is a not so far fetched idea.........Hines Ward catching a SB TD pass from Peyton Manning for the Arizona Cardinals. Hmm

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am going to predict Ben does not finish in Pittsburgh. Personally I think he will not make it. Too many injuries now so can you imagine in five years how hobbled he will be?

Fans want to talk about him changing his style. Thats not going to happen. Of the QBs you can think of how many actually changed how they played. Favre took a beating and did until he retired. You cant change style. You can however
    change the protection which like every other Steeler fan we hope it gets fixed in the draft

Bman

22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    If he can walk, he'll finish here in every real sense of what it means to "finish" your career. That does not preclude the possibility of a one-two year period where he goes out in a whimper in a different uniform. Ward is going to go through that now. Most champs do. Just the way it is with the male ego, money, and business as usual.

No matter, Ben's a Steeler for life and when the end comes will join the hall as such too. Watch.

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Isn't there only one choice here that doesn't involve him finishing his career in Pittsburgh? Choice 4 would be alright, if it was "Yes, but...." If his career ends early because of injuries, and assuming all of those injuries happen with the Steelers, then doesn't he finish his career in Pittsburgh?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is basically a Yes or No poll but that's boring, so I gave people options on how he might finish his career here. The ideal way being the first choice, ala the Bus. Capice?

25. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Joe Montana , Jerry Rice , Franco Harris , Brett Favre and a list of others which now includes Peyton Manning.
    Riddle.........What does Big Ben have in common with all these players?
    Once you find the answer you will then know that he will probably not finish his career in Pittsburgh.
    And now here is a not so far fetched idea.........Hines Ward catching a SB TD pass from Peyton Manning for the Arizona Cardinals. Hmm[/quote:3f8g4s28]

I agree that it may not be so far fetched but I also know the majority of the Steeler greats who left to play somewhere else were barely a shadow of themselves after playing for the Steelers and since you mentioned him Franco really comes to mind here. Yes there were a few exceptions but more often than not it didn't turn out that way.