1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildcard standings...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Houston is done for the season. Just like the Colts. 8-8 might win their division.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    After the 9-7 Cardinals made it to minutes of winning the Super Bowl, I learned never to think a sucky division winner can't do damage in the playoffs.

I'd say the NFC East looks like the worse where an 8-8 team will win it. 9-7 is the best any team can finish in that division. I can't see the Colts and Texans both losing last 3 games but I wouldn't mind.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    2011 Giants. They went 9-7, with a mid season 4 game losing streak, and beat the Pats in the Super Bowl.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Forgot about that. I was thinking of the Steeler/Cardinal SB. I think they went 9-7 that year.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    They did

6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think that the offense still has time to gel in the next 3 weeks. Enough to be "good enough" in relation to our defense. Is it likely that they make a run? No. But it isn't impossible.

With Juju back, Conner back, and the continued development of Snell, Whyte, DJ, Cain, and Washington, it's only going to help Duck's development. He threw the ball a lot in college. It's not like he's Jamal Lord.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Any given Sunday

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Houston has two games against the Titans and an easy one against the Buccaneers. They aren't done just because they had one stinker against the Broncos.

9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jball.

Three weeks is not a lot of time but it is time. A lot of this depends on the HC and OC. Who I have very little confidence in. For a good part today, I have been venting about the lack of usage of our TEs. Most of all season for that matter. Like you stated, if we can get Connor back that would be huge (and JuJu). However, and unfortunately, Connor is becoming more and more undependable. I really like Whyte as I have been saying since his acquisition. Each of our RBs offers a different twist which once again has to be utilized by the coaching staff. Minus the QB (only because he has so little experience but so far so good) we have some good "O" skilled-players. Now, it is time or the coaching staff to put them in the most advantageous situations possible to be successful.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed, hoping the Texans can pull it together and rub the table against the Titans in the next 3 games.

Is the 2nd Tie breaker after H/H conf wins? If the Titans win the Division, and we finish with the same record as the Texans we would be Out of the playoffs?

If both the Steelers and Texans lose this weekend the Texans would be the #6 seed?

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bucs won't be that easy, they are putting points on the scoreboard. Texans are too inconsistent this year imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But they have a good enough qb that their capable of beating anyone. Houston I wouldnt count out.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We did but baltimore over the last month is different than the team we played earlier in the season. They are playing on a level higher than anyone rn.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Winston is playing with a small fracture in the thumb of his throwing hand. They also just lost Mike Evans to a hamstring injury. His season is probably over.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They have been playing at a high level offensively most of the season. They Steelers just did a better job defending them than most opponents.

The Ravens did get better defensively, adding Peters and making adjustments to cover for the injuries that hit their secondary early on.

The Steelers are also playing better than they were at that point. The defense has gotten better. Part of that is Fitzpatrick settling in. They have had time for him and other newcomers to learn to work together, especially Bush, Barron and Nelson. They also had time to make adjustments for the loss of Tuitt. As much as I dismiss Butler, I think he has gotten a better feel for utilizing his personnel as the season has gone on.

Also, keep in mind that a lot went wrong for the Steelers that day. There was the idiotic decision to have Samuels throw a pass early, handing the Ravens an early lead. There was the loss of Rudolph, who was playing well to that point. Then there was Smith-Schuster's fumble in overtime.

That is a long-winded way of saying that while the Ravens will have the advantage, especially at home, the Steelers will have a legitimate shot in that game even if Baltimore does still have something at stake and uses its starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's if we can even make it there. They now have to play KC in the playoffs and I dont like that matchup at all. That in my opinion is the worst matchup for them among all the playoff teams.

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I agree the talent difference between the Chiefs and the Steelers is off the charts but we do have one big advantage in that Andy Reid is a choke artist second to none.

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If Balt beats Clev next week, they'll be the #1 seed. I can't imagine Jackson playing against us in week 17 if that's the case.

Good chance in that game without Jackson. So, that game alone may be enough to get is in. It would be nice to beat the Bills or Jets to make it morecertain obviously.

Point is, root for Balt vs Cleveland.

What's the best case scenario with Houston and Tenn? Does it matter which one wins the division? I guess we should hope that one sweeps the other, because that makes the 2nd place team at best 9-7. If they split, then both could finish 10-6 and I don't know how tiebreakers would work.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was focused on Week 17, not potential playoff matchups. The Steelers just have to focus on getting into the tournament for now.

If they did somehow end up facing the Chiefs again, I do think the Steelers are far better equipped to defend them than they were last season. That said, I doubt they could stop Mahomes completely, so that would probably require more of the Steelers' offense than it can deliver.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the Steelers are going to need to win two of the final three to get in. The most likely path is losing to the Bills and then beating the Jets before going to Baltimore to face the Ravens without many of their starters, including Jackson. I doubt the Ravens will lose to the Browns again, so they should have the top seed clinched before Week 17. In other words, I agree. Root for the Ravens against the Browns, just as I was stuck rooting for them against the Jets last night.

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    so, here’s the scenario I’m looking for.
    Beat Buffalo
    Beat Jets
    Clinch next week

Buffalo beats NE
    KC 2nd seed

Last game not important to either Steelers or Ravens. Duck plays first half, Mason gets confidence in second half leading to victory.

win WC game
    Beat Baltimore for Real!
    Beat KC!

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    But who do we beat in the Super Bowl in that scenario?

• Like Like x 2
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is the way I look at it based on the remaining schedule and current records. Todays game is for the #5 spot and depending what happens that could be big time. It looks like the #3 seed is going to be KC or the Pats either will be a tough draw and with our history vs the Cheats that worries me. The #5 seed will be vs the Texans and I am on that all day. If we were to win that then we worry about KC/NE but that could set up a rematch with the Rats and we played well last time holding Jackson to a 20 QBR with 3 int's. It all starts tonight and if we can't beat the Bills at home then all the rest don't mean anything. jmo

24. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I like how you're thinking.

Honestly, I didn't answer that because I'm unsure of the NFC. I prefer the Saints over the 49ers or Packers. I am okay with the Vikings. Probably whomever beats the Saints either does it on the last play or as a result of a poor officiated call. Maybe that's how we beat them.

25. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    If Steelers are 5 seed and beat 4 seed, they likely go to Baltimore as the 3 seed will also advance.