1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildcard standings...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If the Steelers can beat the Bills head-to-head, they've got a good shot at passing them. Right now, that's a big if because the Pittsburgh offense is a mess.

2. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I agree with everything you said good breakdown. If the Steelers beat the Browns, Bills, and either Arizona or the Jets and get to 9 wins before that Ravens game that should be good enough for them to get in and win tiebreakers over teams like the Bills, Colts, Raiders etc with a 9-7 record.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Five Thirty-Eight's playoff predictor has the Steelers currently at 31%. Sunday's game basically becomes a +/-20% game. Win and their playoff chances increase to 50%. Lose and it plummets to 10%.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Well hell, that's a 10% better chance than we have of making the playoffs last year with one of the most talented teams in the history of the NFL. Coach of the year! Hell yeah baby!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the Bills win 10

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Keep in mind that in tiebreaker scenarios with 3 or more teams, head to head only applies if one of the teams has a head to head sweep of the others. Otherwise conference record is the first tiebreaker, then record in common games, then things like strength of victory, etc. For that reason, it may matter a whole lot whether we beat the Cards or the Jets if we split those two road games. When I project out the rest of this season’s games using ESPN’s playoff simulator, I come up with different scenarios where there are 3 or more 9-7 teams competing for one or two wild card spots. If we lose two conference games, those scenarios don’t always go well for us.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s an early playoff game for both teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I was going over that simulator as well seeing what happens if there is a 3 or 4 way tie at 9-7 with the Bills, Colts, Raiders or Titans and a lot of the 3 way ties have the Steelers getting in if that happens and a few don’t based on strength of victory. It’s a little too early to determine that because we don’t know who is gonna beat who to get to 9-7 in the upcoming weeks. I think as I keep mentioning if the Steelers beat both the Browns and Bills at home even if they lose to Arizona and are 8-6 going into the Jets game in New York we will have a much better idea with 2 weeks left in the season how the tiebreakers will come into play. It’s just too early to determine right now. But taking a look at a bunch of scenarios on the simulator where the Steelers are 9-7 with those other teams they are looking like they would be in very good shape to get in.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    The Bills winning yesterday in Dallas which I didn’t think would happen but was definitely possible has now made the Steelers getting one of those two wildcard spots a little more tougher. Because now unless the Bills lose out they are gonna finish at least 10-6 so even if the Steelers beat them in 2 weeks the Steelers still need to either go 10-6 or have the Bills lose out to win a tiebreaker over them. So while the path is now not impossible it has become slightly more difficult. The best way to get in now is gonna be over both the Colts and Raiders and winning tiebreakers over them which is what the Steelers have right now. Props to the Bills though yesterday on a very impressive win in Dallas. They definitely have made the Steelers wildcard path somewhat tougher.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This post didn't age well

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    among other offensive players.

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Remember the 9-7 Arizona Cardinals were a few minutes away from beating the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The NFC East this season can be won with an 8-8 record the way Cowboys and Eagles are playing but with a super easy schedule the Eagles will go 10-6 or 9-7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Playoffs are not happening IMO. Would love the feather in the cap to say we made the playoffs even though we would get smoked in first game. This team goes 8-8 will be an accomplishment after all the injuries. Regardless how they finish Tomlin stays on as Coach. I know some of you want him gone but he ain't going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I was right with ya until the last two sentences.

This team is a trainwreck. Part of it is self-imposed, part of it is bad coaching, and part is terrible luck. But a trainwreck, none the less. Things aren't looking very good for them or their playoff chances. That won't change until the offense starts playing like a top 20 offense. And by squeaking out a victory against the winless bungles, they most certainly didn't improve in any aspect of team or playoff chances.

All that happened by the end of last Sunday was that their playoff standing changed. They still need to hold on to it as well as prove that they deserve to be mentioned as a playoff team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It would be great if we are still talking playoffs after playing 14 games. Before then, the playoff predictor ain`t worth squat.

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

And we could easily drop all 5 of those games. So there's that. We are not better than any one of those teams. If we are lucky the Raven's consider it a bye week and bench their starters...and they will still beat us and end our season.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I have thought all along that the Eagles would win the East. Last night cinched it for me.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Tomorrow will tell us a whole lot about what this team has left on tap. The Browns have bought and traded for a pretty talented roster, and they’re finally playing at a level that’s close to the hype. If we win tomorrow, I’ll feel pretty good about squeezing out another 2 wins in the final 4 games. I’m not feeling optimistic about tomorrow, but we have a good shot if our defensive front plays lights-out, and exploits its favorable matchup.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Well after they won yesterday, Bills got a good firm grip on the #5 spot. Impressive year for the Bills, they got a good D and Allen has improved.

Steelers only shot is the last spot, and it will be very hard to get at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I will say that an aspect of the team that might have improved is they found a way to win.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Is it Saturday already ? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I feel bad arguing this, because I really want to find some positives about the team. But I just can't be optimistic about squeaking out a win against the bungles. And I shouldn't compare the two, but right now the ratbirds play a bad team and totally throttle them. We play a worse team and are ducky to get the W (yes, I meant to say ducky...see what I did there?)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ok, I'll add "with practice squad players." :rawk:

24. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Then why would that make us lucky?

25. The Glory Days