1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wide reciever competition...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, May 30, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Kind of like Willie. How will you know when he's dead?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    weekend at willies. :smiley1::cool:

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    They have too much talent right now at WR I think. I just can't see them getting rid of DHB due to what he brings to special teams.
    I think the locks are AB, Bryant, Rogers, JuJu and DHB (due to his special teams). That means it's a hell of a competition between Coates, Hamilton, Ayers and Hunter

4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Really, Bryant is Wheaton's replacement.
    JuJu is competing to take reps from Rogers

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    caveat, Brown plays everywhere... but for simplicity sake I am referring to him as the Split End
    (Options for backup)

Primary 12 Formation (1RB / 2TE / 2WR)
    Split End - Brown (DHB)
    Flanker - Bryant (Hunter, DHB, JuJu or Coates)

12 Formation Short Yardage (1RB / 2TE / 2WR)
    Split End - Brown (DHB)
    Flanker - JuJu (Bryant, Hunter or Coates)

Primary 11 Formation (1RB / 1TE / 3WR)
    Split End - Brown (Rogers or DHB)
    Flanker - Bryant (Hunter, DHB or Coates)
    Slot - Rogers (DHB or JuJu)

11 Formation Short Yardage (1RB / 1TE / 3WR)
    Split End - Brown (Rogers or DHB)
    Flanker - Bryant (Hunter, DHB or Coates)
    Slot - JuJu (DHB or Rogers)

13 Formation (1RB / 3TE / 1WR)
    Flanker - Brown (JuJu)

When I look at it this way... it seems pretty clear that we will carry 6 WRs, and the final spot will come down to Hunter vs Coates.

At Split End:
    Brown owns the position, DHB is fully experienced in this playbook as a backup. Given that DHB gets a S/T helmet while functioning as the #4/5 WR on gamedays, we are good here. AB will play 90-100% of the snaps

At Flanker:
    Bryant is the guy going forward. Hunter and Coates are competing to backup those reps, with DHB also being an experienced go route player.In theory, if JuJu can digest more than one position as a rookie, he's got an opportunity to fill in some reps here too.

At Slot:
    Rogers and JuJu are in an obvious competition here. But given Rogers production and JuJus draft status, they are both close to locks.
    Again, DHB's versatility and experience give him another game day spot he can backup while playing special teams.

Even if Coates could beat out DHB on special teams, he doesn't offer the backup versatility that DHB does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The smoke will clear. LOL!

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No actually JuJu is Coates' replacement. LOL!

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well now....

That is your opinion and not "MINDS"!!

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Here in Bakersfield when something is ugly or gnarled it's either Merle or haggard hahahahaha atleast in some circles... Merle's a legend but he was pretty rough and beaten lol

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Side note.

How is what I stated against the rules? Are we no longer permitted to state such?

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't get the memo.....somebody must be out their mine...

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We could reasonably assume the locks are...AB,MB JJSS and most likely ER. I'm gonna leave Hamilton out just too much talent to choose from. So that leaves SC,DHB, JHunter and DA. I'm going by the presumption we keep 6 ,so 4 guys for 2 spots. I think they are going to give Coates every chance to show he is closer to Directv Sammy than basic cable,so I think he has the edge. I think Hunter could become low level trade bait to a WR starved team. I don't see him beating out DHB because of DHBs familiarity with our system and his STs....
    On the subject of STs that everyone keeps touting as the reason DHB will make it....didn't we just draft practically a whole STs unit with guys who should be more than capable of filling some shoes...and since we are talking STs how much value would you put on DA being able to successfully replace AB on punt returns...IMO I like DAs skill set .if Coates shows enough ...to me we have enough firepower on the outside. I really like the underneath (shallow crosses ) that both ER and DA provide. Besides AB they are the only shifty YAC guys we got and it warms my heart when Ben is getting the ball out quick ..our O really seems to be at its best when he is spreading the ball around.
    I appreciate what DHB has done for us but I think there is just too much young talent to give up on...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hahahahha Total fat thumb whilst scrolling... No worries bro

14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Unless he really stink it up in preseason, I think Heyward-Bey is too valuable to let go. He can play every WR position, ST, locker room leader, 6-2, a deep threat, a proven vet who know the playbook, plus he wears #88. Trust me, he is gonna make the team ...too many intangibles. For the 6th spot I like Hunter over Coates because according to film ...both are deep threats but Coates hands is too unreliable where Hunter can go & snatch balls outta the air. Big Ben like big WRs, Hunter is 6'4", Coates is 6'1". Can you imagine having Hunter & Bryant & James operating as big target objects in the red zone??

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Hunter is the unknown factor at the moment. Will be interesting how we looks in practice, especially when the pads come on.

I'm hoping he doesn't turn into another Arnaz Battle. Similar time in the league (Battle had been around 6 years, Hunter 5). Battle kind of disappeared on the roster (I think he played ST a fair bit, though).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i like the chances with our WR coach making him more than what he's been so far. if any coach can it's mann. it's not always just the player but coaching can still play a huge part. it doesn't have to be big changes either. something small noticed in a players game that can bring it together for them can make a difference. i like hunter as a pickup for us. i think ben likes size receivers and they work better for his style of play. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Supposedly, breaking your finger makes the bone stronger. I saw some Asian guy known for poking holes in coconuts with his finger (his index finger) and it was for real. Disgusting though.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe he can find a spot on the team and treat Brady's head the same....

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A great group of talent and a nice problem to have ..DHB will make the Team he doesn't need balls thrown his way to stay motivated ...This is a huge key to him being on the roster if he was on another roster he could catch 40 or so balls a year as a 3rd./4th./or 5th. WR..The talent we have keeps him low in the pecking order, but he still gives 110% knowing that and all the other players and Coaches know that as well..

A true Team player from a diva spot like WR is a very rare find and is a must keep imo...

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    We already have Cody Wallace.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

All of that, but you left out his hands of stone.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    AB
    bryant
    juju
    hunter
    DHB
    hamilton

this would be an interesting 6. size, speed, downfield blocking. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Personally, I would rather see Rogers or Ayers over Hamilton. I think they provide a "shifty" element which allows them to work in tight spaces better. Plus one of them could handle punt returns protecting AB from getting hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely need to hold on to a couple of our shifty guys....those shallow crosses were killer for us last year...and very hard to defend. I don't know why we don't use them more and don't not forget Ayers played primarily outside when he got playing time so "obviously " they feel good about him there so he does bring extra versatility....