1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why ??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Josh, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Why wouldn't we try and sign zach brown??? Guy is a beast, can do it all and estimated contract is 4 million a season. I'd rather have him at that cost than Hightower for 11 million a season

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What would have been the point of signing an extension to Vince Williams then?

Furthermore, while I would like to have Zach Brown myself as much as you would, do not forget that the draft is right around the corner.

Someone like him is not going to help this defense ascend to the "Renegade" days of old. A top flight pass rusher will.

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    I like the idea of shazier and brown in the middle more than I like shazier and Williams.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Guy is a beast but yet still a free agent?lol

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree there are 2-3 ILB's I would like and look like could come at a very favorable price maybe at less than half of what Hightower is asking. I didn't know a whole lot on Brown and was very surprised what I read. I think he is a young guy who is on the way up, here is what Bleacherreport had to say:

1. It's somewhat shocking that speedy inside linebacker Zach Brown hasn't yet been taken off the market.

The 27-year-old had one of the best seasons of his career with the Buffalo Bills in 2016, amassing 97 total tackles, four sacks, four passes defensed and an interception. Brown proved that whenever he goes on the field, good things (and big plays) follow.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So for ****s and giggles I looked up VW stats for last year. Played in 16 games but only started 4 and had 32 tackles, 8 assists and 2 sacks. I can easily see him surpassing Browns stats in a full season of starting.

VW is a good player. They should not be wasting resources on a FA for this position. Draft one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Umm donta Hightower is still a free agent also,is he not? Terrible rationale. Do some research

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see many people calling Hightower a beast. Especially on this board

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hightower is still a FA because he has chosen to do so. NE and Steelers have both offered contracts. Terrible rationale.

10. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Former Bills linebacker Zach Brown is visiting the Raiders, Rapoport reported, per a source

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There's definitely a joke about having a career in Nashville and what not here but I'm just gonna let it go.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree Blast and the reason I do is cause you can't draft every position. This draft is rich at CB-S-RB-TE-OLB, that is where we should focus. I haven't done great reserch on the ILB position in this draft but I am not reading a whole lot about it like these other positions. Get a guy like Brown in here to compete with VW and Matakevich and don't worry about this spot in the draft, jmo.

Also about Brown he is said to be scheme versatile, inside in a 3-4 outside in a 4-3. He is also said to be fast and good in coverage with rb's and te's. This is why I am liking him more and more since we run a hybrid type of D. jmo

13. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Saying zach brown isn't good because he's still a free agent is just stupid

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think Brown offers anything VW cant do. Thats the basis for me saying they can just draft a player. Its not a huge need. Stick with Vince.

15. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    I'm not sold in Vince... hopefully I'm wrong... if he's brown is only asking 4 million a year why not sign him and see who's better, it's a good problem to have.... it's not like there's many good free agents left anyways

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its not a lot of money, I wouldn't be upset with the signing, let them compete like you said. I just dont feel its really needed but Im more sold on Vince then others.

17. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    and obviously the Steelers don't share your opinion on williams, seeing how they just offered a nice sized contract to hightower

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We dont know what they offered but Hightower is better than Brown. I never said Williams is so good he cant be upgraded.

19. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Posted this in the other thread... but I think it's very interesting to say the least:

Over the last 2 season
    Snaps:
    Timmons 1057+950=2007 snaps
    Williams 191+268=459 snaps

Tackles:
    Timmons 114(78 solo)+119(77 solo)=233(155)
    Williams 47 (37 solo)+ 46(34 solo)=93(71)

Passes Defensed
    Timmons 6+5=11
    Williams 0

Sacks
    Timmons 5+2.5=7.5
    Williams 0.5+2=2.5

INTs
    Timmons 2+1=3
    Williams 0

Last 2 seasons summary
    Timmons
    .11 total tackles per snap
    .07 solo tackles per snap
    .0037 Sacks per snap
    .0054 PDs per snap
    .0014 INTs per snap

Williams
    .20 total tackles per snap
    .15 solo tackles per snap
    .0054 Sacks per snap
    0 INTs per snap
    0 PDs per snap

• Like Like x 1
  20. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    My whole reason for the post is I believe 100% that brown is an upgrade over Williams... if you wanna disagree with that then that's fine and I hope you're right honestly...I'm just not a vw fan

21. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    VW is a good run stuffer. Shazier is more the coverage guy. They do need some depth since Matakevich is untested.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I am not sold on VW and why not sign a guy like Brown? Heck I have been warming up to Te'o and also like guys like Minter and Hodges. Here is some info from a Buffalo writer, I like what I am reading and think this guy(Brown) is a bigger fit than we think:

In today’s NFL, it’s rare for a team to possess a three-down linebacker. The ability to stay on the field and excel against both the run and pass is emphasized among the best linebackers currently in the NFL.

Brown is, and the only, three-down linebacker on Buffalo’s roster. Brown was a force against the run, recording 10 tackles for loss while leading the team in ‘stops’ with 54, per Pro Football Focus. Brown displayed the ability to drop into coverage, allowing only one touchdown on the season, as well.

With that being said, Brown’s three-down versatility makes re-signing him a no-brainer.

Scheme versatility
    Brown proved in 2016 he can be outstanding at inside linebacker. As previously mentioned, Brown possesses the frame and toughness to hold up against the run, and he displayed that this season as primarily a 3-4 inside linebacker.

While thriving at inside linebacker, Brown’s athleticism would best suite his capabilities at outside linebacker. There, Brown can utilize his coverage abilities to lock down tight ends and even slot receivers, while showing his prowess as a pass rusher (14 career sacks).

EDIT:

Let me add that VW has gotten better every year and adding a FA here would be a nice mix plus one more position we don't have to worry about in the draft. A draft that is loaded at OLB-CB-S-TE-RB-WR all of which I would love to get at least one of each, I wouldn't mind bdouble dipping at OLB this year. jmo

23. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Exactly.... thankyou for the info,good read

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What I like was the fact that he swapped from 3-4 to 4-3 which is something we do a lot of. IMO, which don't mean crap he is a very nice fit to this team at a fair price at a position I don't want to address in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Really not sure why you're not :shrug: