1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why you prepare

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Oct 5, 2015.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Had Haley been using Vick more in practice he would have had a lot better short yardage calls ready. Haley was rolling Vick the wrong way he was calling hot routes backwards .Exactly why Vick should have been working on the Zone Read for 2 point conversions.

Haley made his bed for last week back when he said he wouldn't even consider using him for conversions . This is exactly what I meant about being Prudent. Have a good back up plan and pray you never have to use it . This is why we have always gave our back up QB a lot of the conversion snaps we would always have a great set of short yardage plays if we had to turn to him.

Again had we been prepared in that way there is little to no doubt we would have won that game .

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Under the new CBA teams are only allowed one 2 hour practice a day, 2 hours to work in a game plan with plays they think will work against their opponent, that leaves no time for a backup to practice with the starters, the starting QB needs all the snaps he can get to be prepared and learn the game plan, and thats not really enough practice time to be fully comfortable with the plan, and with vick on a short week and not knowing the play book with 1 maybe 2 practices was an impossible task to cover everything.............

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Assuming you're correct with the practice stipulations of the CBA (and there's no reason to doubt you are), then can we really be that surprised that there is such a falloff when a player gets injured in the NFL? Do they realize that they're essentially promoting inferior competition by not giving ample practice time? Do they care? What was the reasoning for the change in the CBA? Player injuries or something else?

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Some Teams give Bu's a whole day each week and rest there starter. Had Vick got 20 minutes a week we would have won that game . Haley was still calling it like he had a right handed QB .

Even if the rules say just 2 hours a week the BU needs 10 minutes of that .Worse case you get a VR system and script the Bu 3 or 4 sets a week and as the OC you run through those and grade him out. Now at least you have a good base to enter whatever situation that might come up.

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    some need to be reminded it's a new month and prepare something else too
    ;)

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ty I am almost ready I knew with the Monday night game I had a bit more time . As long as I only do 1 DHB thread a month I am on point.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Actually the players was all for the new practice rules, and why not it meant less work, only 11 padded practices allowed in the first 11 weeks with 3 practices in pads to follow, 1 practice allowed a day, supposedly less injuries would result under the new rules, but that hasn't been the case tackling is poorer as a result of these new rules, what happened to practice makes perfect? A case could be made that two practices a day had the players in better physical shape and the tackling was better than it is now with less game time injuries, but the coaches and players are stuck with these limited practices for 10 years until it can be changed...

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We literally have 50% less practice time than we did 3 years ago and fewer padded practices than than that. Until there's an injury taking snaps away from the starters is nothing but detrimental to the team.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That might be the worst analogy ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Football /War ,Players/Soldiers, Being prepared vs. not being prepared. Not having a plan is planning to fail. Not sure why you don't get it ? Have you ever played Football?

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Yes, TE and DE, but that doesn't change the fact that your analogy was beyond stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your opinion ,but have gave many similar half time speeches and have heard just as many. I know plenty of Coaches who would get it and agree with it ,you have every right not to understand I can respect that.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but I mean man these guys are barely getting paid so I can see why they'd only wanna work 2hrs a day ya know? Imagine if you were asked to work more than 2hrs a day and were only making like a couple of million a year...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tell us how ya really feel Strummer! LOL! The thing about blaming the coaches for the backups not being ready is that it's not like the backups don't have access to the playbook. I mean it's actually possible for a backup to know the playbook as well as the starter right? I'm sure most don't but they actually could if they wanted to. Otherwise they are just moochers looking for a handout and taking a check for doing nothing. I'm not saying they should never get reps but as far as knowing the book that has nothing to do with literally throwing the ball to certain players. Vick knows what he wants to know ultimately. In my opinion anyway.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Seriously doubt that.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Listen to Young,Marino,Aikman, the list is endless. They all say the same thing about backup quarterbacks getting work in once training camp has ended, virtually none. He's just pulling more stuff out of his backside

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Once again, if you really wanted to make a case for not signing Vick, then you'd have to point to the left-handed switch if he needed to get into the game. He can know the playbook inside and out. When the plays are designed for a guy dropping back looking one way and throws going with the natural motion of a right handed QB, you're seriously not doing yourself any favors by throwing a lefty out there.

We all saw what it looks like. The plays develop slower, the reads are slower, the drops are awkward, the throws are against his throwing motion, the blind side tackle has to adjust etc.

It's not a plug and play. Hopefully we see some smarter play calling going forward until Ben comes back, but then you'll have to re-adjust back to a right handed offense. That's what I'm worried about and think Ben needs to take an extra week to make sure he's ready before stepping back out there or it really could be season over for him!

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Vick stunk and no amount of practice will shine up that performance. Everyone keeps making excuses for him like he had a short week, he hasn't played in a year, he doesn't know the offense. Two words for those with those excuses Charlie Batch. Way less talented than Vick, played way less than Vick did his entire career in Pittsburgh and still manged to WIN a game not at home but in Baltimore with a team with less talent than what Vick was given. He has had six weeks to cram on the playbook, he has had 6 weeks with which to tell Haley what he is comfortable with and what he is not, 6 weeks of knowing he is a Big Ben understudy and he could be called on and he didn't exactly shine out there. So Im starting to get the opinion that he is either really dumb or the coaches think he is really dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Vick only had one day of practice I think before the Ravens game.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

2012 was Batch's 6th season under Arians so he should have been very familiar and comfortable with the offense. What they were doing with Vick was working until the kicker started missing and Haley tried to get creative.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is a veteran QB how much practice does he need to throw a 5 yard slant route to perhaps the best receiver in football right now? He has had practice with the team since signing with them why isn't he prepared to recognize a defense and audible? You guys act like Vick walked in off the street and had no inkling of what he was getting into.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank the CBA for the type of football you see,
    very poor fundamentals being displayed. My friends
    it is all about greed. By both parties

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's so frustrating that people can watch and pay attention to this game for years and still don't get it.

Vick make good throws and poor throws. That's pretty much how Vick played before as a starter. It didn't help Vick that the Steelers WR's dropped a couple of balls. Knowing the offense & playing with teammates seems to matter around the league. I don't believe Vick received a lot of practice time. Maybe because he is still learning the offense or because the bulk of the limited practice time went to Ben.

Vick perform as well as expected. He didn't hurt the team by giving the ball away. He made enough plays to help this team win the game. Ultimately, Scobee loss the game for this team.

25. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    ^^^This!^^^ You've heard the old saying? "You can't shine a turd!" Yup I said it!:lolol: