1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY WHY WHY is Cortez Allen playing?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelgirl84, Oct 20, 2014.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! I think there were DEFINITELY too many zeroes! HA!

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I do remember last season that Allen's strength was matching up against the fast TEs, because he was stronger than Ike or Gay. His skill, it seemed to me, was neutralising the short to mid-range TE passes. (Obviously the bombs to Jordan Cameron were not part of his forte).

Now we have Shazier and/or Spence, that doesn't seem to be such a valuable commodity anymore. As what we really need is a CB who can keep up with the big play receivers.

I can see why the contract was given. He was the hottest prospect we had at a position we were weak on. The question for me is whether his awful performances are due to his skills, or due to his execution/mentality.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have nobody better, I know it is sad.
    Thank you MT/KC. And still we gave him 25 mill.

4. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I notice this too. And when they put him in the game full time on Johnson, that's when Johnson started catching the ball and getting more targets. Now as a fantasy player who has individual defensive players he is gold! Yes I said GOLD! With all the balls thrown his way he is good for 8-10 tackles and a possible one pass knocked down. The problem as a Steelers fan is that he may get 10 tackles but he missed 15 and gave up a TD.

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Steelers did not give him $25 mil.
    They gave him $650K this year, plus $6.75 mil signing bonus.

So almost $18 mil of it will have to be earned by Allen over the next 3 years, assuming he bounces back from his current bad play. If he doesn't, and the Steelers cut him after the year is over, his dead money hit will be a bit more than the team is paying for Colon this year.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really wonder if he prepares well enough for Tomlin. There was something I heard on the Gameday App when they were talking about McCain getting the nod over him and they were saying that McCain might have prepared a little better than Allen. So that could be part of it. I just think he's really slow and he can't tackle very good. He does have good hands but when you're 5yds off the ball that's kind of a moot point ya know?