1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why this butt kicking was a good thing.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Aug 22, 2014.

1. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I'll ask again ... what QBs did Cowher pass up? Whining about imaginary QBs that would have led us to the Super Bowl if only Cowher hadn't been in love with Kordell doesn't cut it. If you're going to whine, name the QBs Cowher passed up.

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that Kordell was at best a #4 WR. Where did the myth of Kordell being a good WR come from?

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Uh, I don't know, from watching him play the position maybe. Had he devoted himself to the position I think he could have developed into a dangerous number 2.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Probably from the same experts that say Tebow is a potential HOF TE ?

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Except that Kordell actually played the position and had success, Glenn. In fact, he showed flashes of brilliance in that role. He was big, strong, fast and had really good hands.

Did you ever see him play WR?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Never mind #2, could have been a great #1, size, speed and good hands.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Totally agree if they told him you are a WR he could have been great. He played the posisition very well and was only practicing it half the time.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I tend to agree, just didn't want to overstate it. His only drawback was that he wasn't a natural WR. He had awesome skills though and had he made the switch he would have been a formidable WR.

Remember this play?

[video=youtube;ryyNj5HFjA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryyNj5HFjA0[/video]

9. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm on the we have talent but could use a better coach side.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    My point is you didn't need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl back then. Cowher chose all these crappy guys to start that's on him, and Cowher had some say in personnel also.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not as much as young of age but young as playing together as a team diamond.

cam Thomas (new guy). heyward ( pretty new as a starter). mclendon (fairly new as a starter). JJ (new as a starter and young). worilds (new as a starter). shazier (young and new as a starter). tuitt ( new guy. McCullers ( new guy). cortez allen( still fairly new as a starter). shark (new guy). Mitchell (new to the team). beachum ( new as a starter and fairly young). DD ( fairly new). bell (fairly new). blount ( new to the team). spaeth ( newly back playing with the team). moore ( new to the team). wheaton ( fairly new and as a starter).

are you seeing the pattern I'm talking about? they are very young as far as playing together.:cool:

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, bit late back to this thread.

I've looked at these all before, and you're absolutely right that there're weren't too many QBs picked back then in relation to now, and in hindsight those picked high look pretty average. Which is not to say that it looked that way back then (not to my memroy anyway; though could be wrong).

But that's a bit of an aside, as I didn't say there was a drafting strategy, I said it was a team strategy. Cowher wasn't the kind of guy to build his team around the QB position. Full stop. And it was a successful strategy, by and large. Game manager QBs can still win, and have won, superbowls, which Cowher knew.

The point I was picking up contract on was that he was pulling the "Cowher never had a franchise QB" defence. This is wrong for two reasons: first, it's wrong to say that the lack of SBs under Cowher came down to just that; and second, there were reasons that Cowher didn't have a franchise QB in terms of the way he and the FO were developing the team (which could obviously include the lack of talent available).

As another side point, in some ways I wonder if O'Donnell was the perfect QB for Cowher... what might have happened had he stayed?

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    The chin was picking from an extremely small pool of viable candidates for the QB position. What QB should he have went with @ the time?

He absolutely did a ton without a valid franchise QB. We were always in the hunt, up until the very day he left.

14. SolidSteel36

SolidSteel36 Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Why not put some blame on Tomlin! Where is his leadership? Some personnel decicisions being made lately just don't make any sense at all for a winning football team, or should I say the lack of winning! Our talent evaluaters are not measuing up anymore! who ever is making these player decisions does not measure up as far as building a winning football team. CB is a weak position on this team yet for some reason, we can't seem to do ANYTHING about it, year after year. Where's the leadership? Someone has to step up and do something about the wrong decisions being made as far as players and the evaluation of talent that are being made year after year. Why aren't we getting talented players (CB's) on this team. When we do get lucky on one, it seems our decision makers decide to let him go. We have done this time after timeand now we are a weaker team because of it. Weaker teams lose, which is what we have been doing, Consistently! Look at Richardson. It seems our great talent evaluaters have missed again. According to Lake, Colbert, and Tomlin, he was a virtual can't miss player. WRONG! Today he was placed on the practice squad. Another wasted pick. In the mean time Cinn.,Cleveland and Balt. are building better teams because of better talent evaluations and decisions and through their coaches. This hurts, but it's nothing but facts. We must get better talent evaluaters and. decision makers for the Steelers. Talent evaluation is lacking in this organization. Make a change, please!

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Richardson is hurt you know? it doesn't mean he's not talented. it is pretty hard to evaluate a guy that's on the sidelines.:cool:

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, I'm not sure Tomlin gets away without any blame around here...

But it's clear the team did try and address the problem in the secondary - by improving the pass rush. Whether that was the right thing to do, who knows. Whether Richardson works out or not, who knows.

I'd also contest that we've been losing consistently. If anything, consistency of any kind has been the main problem...

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    MT was also dealing with Cap Hell around here, so he has had his hands tied somewhat on adding other higher grade talent. this could start to turn around some. last year we picked up some decent players and I think we also added a few this year.

the players need to step it up themselves. they have played this game long enough to know the importance of getting ready to play, whether the coach fires them up or not. this is the bigs, and NFL means not for long. they need to have that intensity built in already, not from a cheerleader.:cool:

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't disagree, mac, but Tomlin needs to be the intelligence behind the intensity.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    possibly, but we have 4 former head coaches on staff now and intensity can be brought from a lot of places, but foremost the players amongst the positions and hopefully more from those position coaches as a group. granted, MT as an overall leader of coaches and players intensity since he is the head honcho.:cool:

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There's really none to name. That stuff is just some Urban myth about Cowher!