1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why this butt kicking was a good thing.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Aug 22, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm still waiting name me some great talent on this team especially on defense. You guys act like Cowher won multiple Super Bowls just about every year he had a great defense and only won 1 Super Bowl in 15 years. This team is in a transition.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Name some GREAT defensive players on the Pats.

All I'm saying, rule, is that flat, unprepared, uninspired have been words far too often muttered in the same breath as Steelers the last few seasons and that is primarily on the coaching.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Has there been any more info on what the Troy incident was specifically about? I've only just caught up with the match, so a bit behind the news.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Cowher had a franchise QB for all of 3 seasons.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    ...because he specifically never drafted one as part of his team strategy.

We need some kind of link to a summary of the entire Cowher/Tomlin debate to avoid going over all this again.

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The idea that Cowher didn't want a good QB is ridiculous.

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    the idea that cowher was a great coach is like
    yep

8. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Maybe it's just me but I felt like some of the offensive drives Ben was trying to single out players like Wheaton. I'm thinking (And hoping) maybe Ben had all the work he needed and was more worried about getting some newbies more touches. I did notice his last drive he went back to AB and HEATH and we know how that turned out.

It was preseason so I casually watched so maybe some of our members that watched alot close than me can confirm or destroy my theroy.

All in all it's preseason and I'm not overly worried for the offense; The D-line however looks weak.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If the O line holds up we'll be good on O. I think the D will have moments of brilliance, but for the most part are going to continue getting dink and dunked all over the field and will give up higher run averages consistently. Hope they can buckle down in the red zone. I think the sack numbers won't leave us loving them, but we may come up a bit in the t.o. Dept. I agree with rule on the were in a transition phase at least in some spots. We'll have growing pains but will overcome them. My biggest worry outside the D's game plan or inability to correctly game plan is the uninspired play. If they haven't been embarrassed enough to find some damn pride the last few seasons, then I guess were just gonna be flat. Would be nice for Troy to have a locker room meltdown to get his point across, but he ain't done it yet and I don't see it coming. Hard to motivate folks that ain't got their priorities straight #Bell&Blount... They ain't the only ones folks, just the dumb ones who got caught that day. We need discipline NOW!

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be ridiculous if it wasn't true. He liked game managers, N.O. types, they fit his strategy better and he knew what a headache franchise QB's could be. Cowher wasn't going to draft Ben until Rooneys told him to. Ben and Bill weren't exactly chummy.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The truth hurts,But why poor preperation?
    But why not focused? I see a trend here, don't you?

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The truth shall set you free.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I tend to agree with you that the team use the preseason to look at specific areas of the game, rather than play the full thing.

For all of the debacle on Thursday, the week before the first team looked solid and settled - just minus much of a run game. This week, they looked very unsettled (maybe there's some obvious reasons for that), but also had more of a run emphasis, and seemed to be looking at one or two players in particular.

Whether that translates into a good team in Week 1 is yet to be seen.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Currently, Vince Wilfork - the best 2 gapper in the NFL... and that's about it. They won a bunch last year even without him.

However, back when he won his 3 SBs, he had a bunch of great players on defense:
    Willie McGinest - excellent OLB
    Ty law - one of the premier shut down corners of his time
    Richard Seymour - prototypical 5 tech. So good, that he's still used as a reference point for saying "prospect XYZ is a first rounder who reminds me of Richard Seymour"
    Tedi Bruschi - underrated ILB, coach on the field
    Rodney Harrison - physical presence personified

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't know about GREAT, but they are nearly always stacked with REALLY GOOD defensive players. It's not like Darth Hood is coaching the bad news bears and sprinkles evil pixie dust to make them winners. Vince Wilfork, Rob Ninkovich, Brandon Browner, Darrelle Revis, Arrington and McCourty are pretty good. I'm probably forgetting a couple.

Having a good videographer also helps.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh come on, Darth Hoodie could field a team from this message board and win the SB.

17. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I would actually think all of the past "butt kicking's" the Steelers have received under Tomlin would of have eliminated the need for additional "butt kicking's". Face the facts, this IS Tomlin football at it's best, sloppy, inconstant, grab ass, emotionless, 60 minuets of uncertainty. Ever week the outcome is like what we just experienced the past several years, we hear excuses from players and how Tomlin is going to make it better, I'm still waiting are you?

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I know, right?

Say what you will about Darth Hoodie, and I dislike him as much as you, but he gets WAY MORE out of his talent that CtripEO gets out of his!

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Like that time he was going to unleash...

Never mind.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They didn't have an emphasis on the run, they went to the run because Ben couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with his throws, and the week before they was playing the bills weak offense and still barely won the game with field goals, just be glad they didnt play the seahawks that would have been a real embarassment, like Pete Carrol said last night, this 3rd preseason game is very important for regular season preparation, maybe he should have told that to this dummy we have for a head coach....

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what might be forgotten is we are still a very young team with a lot of young parts to fit together. it takes time and it won't always be pretty. I think we as fans have expected it to all come together way too quick when we hear how well they look in practice. other teams are ahead of us in this same process and we got shown that at philly. we will get there.

we have talent but it's just not as far along as philly at this point. thank goodness they don't count yet, but they still smart. I hope that hits home to all of them. it will make them work harder as they come back down to earth. to many good press clippings and a performance like that should humble them a lot. :cool:

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Including preseason they lost 8 games in a row last year and that didn't humble them, and if we are a young team like you say, why did tomlin say he was going to win a championship with them??? The seahawks are a young team why do they fit together, BINGO, coaching is the key ingrediant lacking on this team, Munchak asside.....

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as I said some of these other teams like philly and seattle are young but not as young as us. they were at this stage 2-3 years ago. don't forget we have a lot of new coaches also. it also takes time for them to mesh together. it will come.:cool:

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Were not even close to the youngest team in the NFL, in fact Philly is ranked as the 10th youngest and we are way down the list at 22 in age...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-teams-ranked-by-average-age

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That article was from before last season began. We have a few old men who greatly offset the average.