1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the hate on Jarvis Jones?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Always worth remembering the disdain for Jason Worilds that was around this board at the start of the season. And that was when he actually had put up good numbers relative to his playing time. So it doesn't surprise me that people want to jump on Jones as a bust as well.

That's not to say he's guaranteed to develop, of course, and he does seem a tad on the small size at the moment. But it depends on his learning curve, and getting playing time in his rookie season won't hurt that.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Thorn for putting this into perspective.
    In these days of salary cap era, players have to produce more quickly. There is no time for red shirt players. As Art II has said many times.

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it's more than just putting on size. It may be strength. Von Miller is about his size. Someone already mentioned Clay Matthews. How about the rookie from Oakland? Elvis Dummervill looks about his size. So does Mathis from the Colts. I think it has alot to do with technique and developing some pass rush moves. His first step is a bit slow and that probably can't be corrected but he needs someone to teach him some moves.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not going to quote because I'm responding to a lot of different comments...

"It's not that easy to get bigger" & "They were lifting the last 8 years of their life"

Yes... it is. I played highschool basketball and was 115 pounds soaking wet. I got more serious about weight training and bulking up and did it. I was a high school kid! It happens ALL THE TIME. The jump from college to the pro's in terms of what's available to you is pretty significant too. Sure, big programs have really nice facilities...

But if you're a guy like Jarvis Jones you've gotten by on sheer athleticism your whole life. Now, everyone's a freak athlete, and you need to get more serious. It's natural to go with what works, but you gotta work harder at the next level.

Tons of guys put on weight and muscle when they get to this level. Lawrence Timmons is one example. Check out the arm definition between these two photo's...

http://imgur.com/a/kEQiY

"Clay Matthews is comparable in size to Jones"

Weight =/= strength. I have a friend that's a personal trainer, and has some before and after pictures of himself that are pretty amazing. He's gained a lot of strength, but really only put on about 5-10 pounds from where he started. He wasn't fat to begin with, just not in shape.

I don't listen to listed weights either, they're usually very wrong. Just look at the two guys (Matthews and Jones) and tell me you think they're the same size?

http://imgur.com/a/NAgAV

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly. Not sure how he can be expected to have this breakout season when his supporting cast was completely lackluster.

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've seen Jarvis double teamed on plenty of occasions this year... which Woodley should be embarrassed about.

7. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah I was a little off. Porter did 35 reps, still pretty good though.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Old Peazy, now are OL men can't even put up
    37. This is why you need a new strength and conditioning coach for the OL. Why all the injuries? I would hope the Rooney's will
    look deeper in the off season about this correlation.

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think JJ is a bust, he seems to be smart and plays off instinct more than situational which hurts him as he bites on play fakes too much but I believe he will get better and if he works hard during the offseason I predict he'll have a breakout season. As for the strength and conditioning, this team need a real coach, who ever is doing it now needs to go home, I know other teams have injuries but you see 1 O-lineman go down, maybe 2 on a team but that is it normally, every season for like the last 5 we have multiple linemen get hurt, 3 or 4 every season, and on the defensive side it always seems like the guys you need the most are the ones getting hurt at an alarmingly high rate, so strength and conditioning need to be looked at.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think a lot of college players get a rude awakening when they realize that they are not as strong compared to the professional players in the NFL. They might of got by in college but this is your job now. Even Carter (our other outside linebacker) put on muscle after one off-season.

It will be telling after next off-season to see how serious he is about his craft.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, Mike Adams did what, 12?

12. Pa Yankee

Pa Yankee Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You're still off. He did 27 225 reps.

13. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of people don't know what the definition of what a bust is.

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    JJ was worth the gamble of drafting him. If he can stay healthy, God willing, I think he's going to pay off big time sooner rather than later.

I remember the same posters here from the old board to this one, saying the same thing about Worilds and Timmons.

Truth is, if it were up to many there would be no one on our roster, after a loss, and that includes players, coaches, and owners alike.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha, I remember that thread - was it over the summer? - where that became very apparent...

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Actually, I had forgotten about that thread until you just mentioned it :lolol:

Seem DL is pleased with Jarvis, I like how he says that he is almost never out of position now, that's huge because I think once he is comfortable, you'll see the beast we drafted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/po...wth?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I hope we see some flashes of that beastiness over the last three games to have something to build on for next season.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    19 I believe. arnfelt did 38. <:smiley1::cool:

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is that the Strength and Conditioning Coach (can we make an abbreviation to SCC?)cannot work with these guys year round. It's in the CBA. Also, the team can't have organized activities, even to the point of suggesting that these guys go somewhere and work together during the off season.