1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the difference? Rudolph vs Duck

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I know game planning has a lot to do with it but watching Duck play yesterday left me scratching my head as to why the coaching staff hog-ties Rudolph so badly?

Rudolph threw for 13,618 in college and Duck threw for and 14,584 in college. It's not like Rudolph played for for a pass only offense and can't read a defense.

What the hell are the coaches seeing that makes them treat Rudolph like a WR playing QB?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In the first game for each, I didn't see a lot of difference in the game plan. Execution by the rest of the team was better in this one. Both had a short week and a trip across the country. Quality of defense they had to play against was huge difference. Ducks was more like a home game and in a much smaller venue. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Simpelton

Simpelton Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Honestly Hodges looks a bit like Big Ben Lite out there. Rudolph has a different style. Since the offense is used to Big Ben, Big Ben Lite clicks a little better right now.

Over time I think Rudolph will overtake Hodges but for right now, Hodges is the ideal backup QB and may wind up being Cousins to Rudolph's RG3 -- the guy everyone thought was the backup but just got it done better than the higher pick.

Big thing I like about Hodges is he gets the ball out of his hands faster than MR. That drastically reduces his vulnerability to injury, which is an important considerationj

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    taking an early lead helps immensely. We also ran the ball well for a change and converted third downs.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is the better QB. I'm glad we have the Duck, but Rudolph should be the starter. Obviously.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Duck's first pass attempt was for more yards than Rudolph combined pass attempts for the entire game. Totally different game planning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    QB is the least of our problems.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You guys act like there was some big difference in his these two played. Who they played and our own teams execution was the difference.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rudolph is the safer choice. He isn't a risk taker. He never would have thrown the pick that Hodges threw, he would have dumped it off short.
    Having said that Hodges was brought in as a 4th string camp arm and last night he played a solid game in his first start and beat a border line Hall of Famer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Hodges will end up being a legit starter for some team in the future. Who knows... maybe the Steelers? Rudolph is the best option moving forward and potential franchise replacement for Roethlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    OMG. One pass play against a quite different and worse defensive opponent is what you are basing this off of? Geeeez. :cool:

12. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    It was an incomplete pass that was woefully under thrown. At one point, JuJu had 3 steps on his man. If Duck puts some air under it, that is a TD.

I like what Duck did our there, but I remain concerned about his arm strength. On deep passes, he seems to be a little late or the ball is under thrown.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They both need a strong running game to play in this small ball game, Snell had the better run game, 17 attempts 75 yards 4.4 average, conner 16 attempts 41 yards 2.6 average, snell is the better back right now in my opinion conner gets dinged in every game lately.....

14. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    If you can’t see that MR has a higher ceiling and more ability I don’t know what to tell you. Mason was not drafted to be a backup he was drafted to be a starter

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    rudolph can be... if he doesn't play scared. After getting hit vs Baltimore he was skittish and throwing way high.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I know this is blasphemy... but Steelers would be 2-4 WITH Roethlisberger. Truth.

As I said before... QB is the least of our troubles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously I am hopeful fans stop tweeting and discussing Duck unseating Rudolph.. Aint going to happen at least in the immediate future.. You will see Mason back after the bye.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, it was under-thrown but it set a tone that the Chargers defense had to honor which opened up the running game. In Rudolph's game against the 9ers, the game plan allowed the 9ers D to cheat against the run because it was clear we were never going to throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.

It makes the game a lot easier when you know what the other team is going to do! Just ask the Patriots!

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kyle Brandt on the NFL network had the best line about last night. "A Duck always ends up on top of Rivers".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This!

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You can't say that. If Ben were in the game, he could have checked out of the horrible play calling and maybe we aren't in the situation where Connor and Ju Ju fumble the ball late to cost us the games.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Whatever. Rudolph and Hodges have already outplayed him. Sorry, but Ben sucked vs. Patriots and Seahawks. Terrible performance.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You can't possibly think that either of them is better than Ben, even though Ben is on the downside of his career.

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Pretty sure Ben was playing every game injured. Also worth mentioning Ben always looks like crap early in the season because Tomlin lets him sit out pre season...oh and the Patriots own us . Our entire team and coaching staff wet them selves when they see Belicheaet on the sideline. It's a joke.

If you people can't see the difference in arm strength w/ Rudolph and Duck you are blind. Duck is a gamer but his passes need more zip if he's ever going to be an NFL QB. You have to be able to throw to the sidelines ...and lead NFL WR's . I've seen worse but he's not a starter right now. Maybe next season that will change?

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s awfully hard to say either is better than Ben even at his age. He’s a notorious slow starter and would like to think he would of easily fared better so far but with the way the OL was playing before yesterday and the inexperience and maybe even lack of performance by the WRs , there’s no guarantee we would be in a better situation than we are now.