1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why stopping the run is so important.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fugitive60, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Baker Mayfield has the second best quarterback rating on play action passes this year; only Aaron Rodgers has been better.

Baker Mayfield's yards per attempt on play action passes is 9.5; on non-play action attempts, he averages only 6.5 yards.

I'm hoping Joel Bitonio's back up becomes the weak link and Cam Heyward blows up a few rushing attempts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Browns are screwed if they can't run. Sadly, that won't happen. The Steelers just aren't that good at stopping the run.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think they are bad at stopping the run. I think if they could at least have gotten the same guys playing week in and week out they could have been much better this year.

If it wasn't an injury it was Covid stuff.

If everyone comes back and stays healthy for playoffs, it MIGHT be a different story.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It will be very important against Browns, and we must stop Baker Mayfield from scrambling also.
    Keep him in the pocket and I like our chances.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The way to stop their running game is to take a big lead and force them to the air.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yep, score early and force Baker to take some chances as the game goes on, virtually guaranteeing at least one turnover. The Steelers offence cannot take the first half off and put the defence back on the field repeatedly. They have to move the chains and score when they get to the Redzone, keep the Browns off the field and keep the defence relatively fresh.

I expect them to win tomorrow but this carries forward to their next opponent, the margin for error is gone, offence coming out flat and then showing up for 15 minutes here and there is not going to beat anybody of note in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That made me laugh. "Take a big lead" It's the Steelers, we both know even if we did take a big lead we'd still be sweating balls with a few minutes left in game. Besides, who wouldn't want to be nervous at 11:30-12:00 on a Sunday night.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They should have clarified this memo, we need to stop the run of the OTHER team, not ours.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Like the Bills?

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How often have you seen the Steelers do this? We play nail biters.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The last time we played the Browns at home. Followed by our game vs. Tennessee on the road. The latter game got close because our pass defense sprung leaks in the 2nd half and Ben threw some rough interceptions. Tennessee’s run game wasn’t much of a factor.