1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why NT high priority?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 322 Steeler Fan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The defense will have to play nickel or dime more than base against elite teams which have a strong passing attack. Why is a true Nose Tackle such a high priority to everyone?

*There are only 2 d-lineman in the current nickel formation.

A true Nose plays and can only play half or less of the downs.

I would rather to see a more athletic guy at nose when the defense is in base 3-4; one that can play 3-4 d-end and play in the current nickle .

This defense needs a better pass rush when it is in nickle; the pass rush is fine in base 3-4 which hardly sees passing downs. To do this it needs better pass rushing d-lineman in nickle or a scheme change which would also use a more athletic d-lineman.

A high end true Nose Tackle is a waste of cap IMO. A nose better than Hampton would have helped a few downs in the Denver game, but just a few downs, and most teams' offenses are not like Denver's with the option. The d-line was injured in the Denver game also.

I think that Guard, Middle Linebacker, and d-line (as I described) are the real needs, but I do not think that there is a need necessary to pass on a game changer at any position in the first round of the draft. A guard is needed in the first two rounds though IMO. If they do get a nose tackle I would like to see a guy like the Cowboy's Rattliffe who is a little smaller but athletic.

Arguments?

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's an argument: half the game is a lot.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Agree that offensive line and ILB seem to be bigger needs, nose guard is an important part of our defense. A beast who can take up two blockers on any given play frees things up for the linebackers, both on running plays and passing plays. There are two like that in the draft who could help day one, Poe and Ta'amu. I'm interested in Chapman from Alabama, also. He isn't as big, but he's high motor, and faster than the other two. Could make him more of a three down lineman as compared to a two down lineman. And we might be able to get him in the third round.

4. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011
    Will the guy be a difference maker for all of the half?

An athletic guy will be more versatile and little drop off in the running downs due to the base 3-4 scheme IMO.

The Steeler's 3-4 base is currently good; it is the nickle and dime packages that need the increased pass rush.

Against teams that run and run the 3-4 with a plug of a Nose Tackle like Hampton in his prime is great but that is not what the competition is. Hampton was used to help the offenses running game this past year.

5. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011

I like this idea.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a need because right now all we have is McLendon, who is somewhat of a question mark. To say Hampton's a question mark is to be generous. He's more like a capital Q, a giant sphere with a limp.

We have to have someone. You can't just not have a nose tackle and run a 3-4. I don't care if we only run base D for 20 plays a game. You need a nose tackle, and he has to be starting quality. I'm not saying McLendon can't do it. I'm not saying Casey won't be back. I'm not saying a 3rd or 4th rounder wouldn't be good enough. I'm not saying it's a bigger need than ILB, OL, or CB. But it's a need. And figuring out what to do with the position, whether it's McLendon, Hampton, a FA or a rookie, is a priority. That seems undeniable to me.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Because you start with your division opponents. What are there strengths?

Baltimore-Has Ray Rice and you have to stop him.
    Cincinnati-Has Cedric Benson and believes in a strong run game even if Cedric leaves for greener pastures
    Cleveland-Hillis is a battering ram and if he's not there, they also want a strong run game.

You build your team to win your division and we need a stud NT to stop these run focus teams.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Good point

9. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011
    A nose is definitely needed, but I would rather get a more athletic guy that may be able to play end and in nickle. Hampton is probably done, which leaves McClendon and Hood???

I think that a nose is needed but not as high of a priority that a lot think. I like 151's suggestion or someone similar.

10. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011
    Teams have little success running against the Steeler's base 3-4 regardless of who is at nose. The nickle is able to be run on and the nickle gets no pass rush. A true nose helps very little IMO.

11. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011
    Nice to get some replies and to BS. I seem to end threads.

12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Poe is there in the first you take him. Can you imagine our future? Heyward, Poe, Hood....they will be together for the next 10 years.

the 3-4 starts with a stud NT. With him in the middle makes everything/and everyone better. Including linebackers and defensive ends.

Ta'amu is not a bad choice but I doubt either will last to the second round if we go in other direction in the first.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If you can't stop the run, even mediocre teams will keep pounding it and pounding it.
    Why take the chance of passing, when you can hand off and get 5 yds a pop? Watch the Houston game,
    They totaly dominated us in the run game, it was painful to watch.
    If we choose to stay in a 3-4 defense a dominant nose tackle is needed. I think
    you will see what type of defense the Steelers will be running in the future by the selection of their
    draft choices. If they choose to stay in the 3-4 then you will see a high round NT taken.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    houston ran on everyone. with or without a NT. :cool:

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Houston also ran the 3-4 without a true NT.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is the same fascination as people have in golf. Players will spend hundreds of dollars to buy a club that adds another 10 feet to their drives, yet don't ever get properly fitted for a putter. It would be hard to find someone to pay to go work on their putting, but there are driving ranges all over the country. You hit the driver maybe 15-16 times over an 18 hole golf course, but you hit the putter on every hole, usually at least 2 times. A good NT keeps players on the line occupied so our LBs can make plays. Without that you have trouble stopping the run. If you have trouble stopping the run, you will have trouble stopping the pass. The NT is the foundation of our D for 60 of the 90 plays we run on Defense. Somehow I think that is important.

17. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

:thumbs_up: Agreed.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree, I am not sure what the Texans are doing right that they can get away without a true NT.

I think the Giants have at least showed us you need to be able to collapse a pocket to get to Brady, not necessarily just an outside pass rush.

Having a legit NT will do that.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like him as well, but he may not even last to our 2nd round pick. If he does, he may be a really good pick at that spot (depending of course on who else is there). I'll be really surprised if he lasts to our 3rd round pick. He was the anchor in the middle of the best college defense in at least a decade. He will be noticed.

20. 322 Steeler Fan

Oct 17, 2011
    The Steelers only line up two d-lineman in their nickle. They go from a 3-4 to a 2-4 with no nose tackle.

What I am saying is that the defense will be in nickle most of the time against good offenses, which is what will be faced in the playoffs. The nose does not play in nickle. The steelers defense cannot get a pass rush in nickle. Why waste cap or a high draft pick on a guy that can only play nose tackle, being offenses pass more. Against running teams the steelers defense shuts down the run well without a big nose.

I am for a more athletic nose tackle that can rotate into a nickle defensive tackle and have the *endurance to go against a hurry up offense like what is seen at the *end of games. That is the only type of nose tackle that I would spend much cap on or a high draft. Offenses have changed.

21. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    IHO, I think the Steelers 3-4 may have to evolve a bit. I mentioned this in one of the draft threads and got chased through the streets, but I am on the internet-so I should have expected it. This is where the big boys are, the real football intelligence guys come here to flex their knowledge..

anyways

I was posting about liking the Martin Kid as a possible draft pick. I knew he was smaller than snack-( thankfully someone stepped up to help me anyways) This NFL is more pass than before where you had teams slugging it out with you every week trying to run the ball. Hoke is around Martins size (Steelers were 18- 1 when Hoke started during his career, he was using different skills to get the job done). Martin is very quick, strong..... maybe this may have to be the new NT and guys like Rodgers and Hampton will fade away.... just my thoughts.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think he is already on the roster. Mclendon is the hustle and Kade Weston will be the muscle.

HACK