1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is no one talking about this?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 16, 2017.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Our young DBs are getting baptized by fire this year and there were a couple of plays in yesterday's game that demonstrated their value. I realize they are still making rookie mistakes, but they've also come up big at various crucial spots as well. First, Artie Burns made a heckuva play on a deep ball to Tyreek Hill in the second half, knocking it down and saving a touchdown. And then I thought the play that Sean Davis made, knocking the ball away on the 2 point conversion attempt was a fantastic play. He showed really good instincts to turn inside and get a hand on the ball. It appeared that the receiver was poised to catch the ball in the back of the endzone when Davis got his hand in there and knocked it away. All anybody wants to talk about is the Fisher hold on Harrison but the Davis play was outstanding and a potential game saver.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only reason Davis got that chance was because of the Harrison hold. They converted the first time , the KC guy was all by himself sipping on coffee.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Doesn't negate the nice play on the ball on the subsequent play though does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    safe to say JH92 gets to the QB without the hold. WR could order doughnuts too, because Alex Smith would be on the ground looking for the loose ball...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The 3 rooks are a big part of the resurgence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure he gets to him, but Smith would have felt JH's breath on the back of his neck.

7. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Remember - you're only seeing part of the game that is on the screen. Listening to several guys today (not just talking heads either) - they said that Smith left a ton of plays on the field (throwing the ball to the wrong receiver, not throwing the ball at times, under throwing guys - things Brady will not do) - they pointed to specific plays and times in the game - so they saw coaches film. They said if the Steelers defend like they did yesterday, they'd give up at least 28 to 35 points.

Not claiming it's factual or not but I've seen that the Pats D hasn't faced anyone and really the Steelers haven't either in their streak. You could argue the Giants but their offense sputtered in the 2nd half. Otherwise, it's Cleveland (twice), Ravens (who put up 27), Cincy (without AJ Green), Buffalo, back up QBs in Indy and vs. Miami and yesterday Alex Smith.

They've improved, no question, but they're getting a huge test next week.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... uh... Jack?

I made a thread Sunday about our defense you know?

I believed this defense would come around. The way they are is what surprised me.

Biggest shock is still Artie Burns in what is supposed to be his "Senior Season." He has hit a few speed bumps... but man he more than makes up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The NFL is the NFL.

10. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Won't disagree, but lots of people are discounting the Pats having the #1 scoring defense because of who they (NE) played. Can't have it both ways. Steelers best way to help their defense is to control the ball by running and short passes, winning TOP but they have to get 7s instead of 3s.

11. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I saw the same thing. That is just their way of bowing down to the Cheaters and saying the Steelers suck. :hmmm:

12. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    You play to win the game. As I said in another thread, or maybe this one, who knows actually... Every time the Steelers kicked a fieldgoal, it was the right decision. It was also better to not do a risky play that could've resulted in a turnover. Did I want them to score touchdowns? Absolutely. And, perhaps a better executed play here, holding on to the ball there, and a no tip causing INT then perhaps they would've scored 1 or 2 touchdowns.

13. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I didn't have a problem with kicking the FGs when they did, on 4th down. Wasn't thrilled with the play calling on the series right before the FGs. Bell has to get the ball 1st and goal at the 5. 3rd and 1, Bell with a half back dive with no FB. Those are the plays that are difference makers. If the Pats get in short yardage next week, watch how many times Brady will just sneak it. Ben can do that. It's not an injury thing either - Brady is more fragile than Ben.

14. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think scoring touchdowns next week will be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    However if you go back and look at the Texans game the Pats left a lot of plays on the field as well. Brady has designed plays to get guys open and when it wasn't there and he had to go through progressions is when he felt the pressure and would throw it away. You take away those designed throws and he has a tougher time finding his open man and usually it is a dump off pass.

16. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    They did - and still won by 18, covering the spread. There is a reason they're favored by 5.5 this week. If the Steelers play a complete and efficient game, they can win but that means everyone (QB, line, coaches, ST) and no massive mistakes (clock, turnovers, tackling, etc).

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Definitely they need a perfect game while NE can screw up and be ok.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    You might be right on giving up 28-35 points but I don't really care as long as we score 1 more point than the Pats.
    Your right about the game being a huge test, that's what makes it exciting and more fulfilling when we beat the Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    where was he when they converted the first time? he got lucky for a 2nd chance

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No it's not, which is why most of the same teams make the playoffs every year.

Sure, any team can win any given Sunday, but the level of competition isn't even close to being the same. Alex Smith didn't play well at all, even by his mediocre standards. If we play like we did against KC, we'll lose

21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This used to be a common thing for Ben, not sure what's changed. And I don't think it's injury-related, either.

22. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The difference between ASmith and TB is that Smith is a horrible downfield passer. TB, not so much. He'll eat us alive if we allow that kind of coverage.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sean Davis was on the sideline and Jordan Dangerfield was on the field for that play.

And to comment on my earlier post after seeing the replay, I don't think JH92 gets to Smith even without being held. Smith was pretty high in the pocket. Still does not negate the fact it was a hold. Davis came in for the next attempt and batted the ball away with a great play.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wish Davis batted the ball away or grabbed it out of the air when he tried to take the guy's head off at the goal line. ( earlier play)

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    First of all, if you look at the play, I see Dangerfield and Cockrell. It appeared to be their zone. Was Davis even on the field on that play?

Secondly, I've needed a few second chances in my day, Jim, how about you? ;)