1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it so hard to list Tomlin's best attributes as a coach?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Sep 17, 2018.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I have heard the Checkers analogy, but the Connect 4 analogy is even funnier. I wonder if he would be any good at Quarterback King?

2. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    He can say obviously like no one on this earth can

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DL was a genius. He introduced a defense that ended up being adopted by other teams and became a mainstay in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Ummm...let me ponder that question...wait I got it...it is coming to me....and the answer is....NOTHING! Well, I do agree with Bradshaw’s analysis of Tomlin as a “cheerleader”, so I guess that’s a positive attribute.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Say what you will about Cowher but he was the best at finding plug and play guys to make his philosophy work and then get the most out of them. He may not have been the best teacher but he could identify the road graders he wanted to run his style of offense. In defense he put his guys in position to make plays and got them to perform at a level that won games. He wasn't an innovator but man could he work his system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And while he never said "Raise Hell", there were times when he had his team ready to do just that.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    So much of an NFL organization’s operation is completely opaque to us. How can anyone on the outside informedly answer the question?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin is a man of great patience, wisdom and gab!!!! He predicted Hell will be unleashed and it hasn't happened yet. In the mean time while waiting for Hell to actually be unleashed!!! Steeler Nation will continue to support our beloved Steelers!!!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tough to evaluate his good qualities when we don't get any glimpse of what happens day-to-day. He does have some serious challenges this year, as he doesn't have much talent on defense. The "good" Steelers years ago had pro bowl talent at several spots on defense, and the current crop is more like toilet bowl. Offense would probably take care of itself with the talent on that side of the ball - a coach should just get out of the way. So with either missing on draft choices, poor training during training camp and during the week, or bad defensive coaching overall, that certainly does not point to Tomlin's strengths. No real innovations that I can identify, so not a tactician or strategist. In game adjustments and management has always been questionable. So that's not it. He doesn't seem to be a motivator, except players seem to like to play for him, so maybe camaraderie? Not sure team building is his forte, though except for prima donna Brown, and head case Bell, the team seems to support one one another. So maybe player relations is his asset?

Excellent question.

10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    A coach is judged by the product he puts on the field. That product is not good.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The OP did say he wasn't talking about results, though, so much as attributes.

Which is a good question, but difficult to answer. And not just for Tomlin, for a lot of Head Coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks....maybe I should patent it...

13. ROBLISBERGER

ROBLISBERGER Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

14. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Answer: FIRED a few years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Well, according to Nick Wright of Mad Dog Radio, Tomlin is a top 5 coach. It's not his fault his players are spoiled and whiny. It is also apparently racist to criticize Tomlin's lack of instilling discipline. Wright actually criticized a caller as racist for saying that. It is unbelievable the lengths that the Tomlin apologists in the media will go to to protect him. They treat him like Belliceck. A good analogy to describe Wright's defense of Tomlin would like looking at a boat that is slowly filling up with water and barely afloat and saying that the boat is a great boat because it hasn't sunk. It's not moving anywhere but it is still a great boat. That's their defense. Tomlin is top 5 because he has never had a losing season. He's not anywhere close to winning a title (AFC mind you, Super Bowl isn't even a thought at this point) but he is top 5. Also there is no one anywhere on Earth who could possibly replace him. That's another excuse I hate.

Tomlin Defender: Well, if you fire him, who are you going to replace him with?

Tomlin Hater: I don't know off the top of my head.

TD: Case closed, I win.

TH: Okay, well I guess we shouldn't even look then because we obviously have no idea what the coaching potential is of every possible candidate.

• Like Like x 1