1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Drafting Joshua Dobbs was the right move.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCityThor, May 8, 2017.

1. SteelCityThor

SteelCityThor Member

Apr 15, 2017
    So...As we all know Ben is getting old...REALLY OLD LIKE TOP 5 OLDEST QB IN THE LEAGUE. But I am not going to say that he is the QB of the future because I do not believe that, however I do believe in age. When people become older they tend to have more injuries (Tony Romo, Peyton Manning,etc.) so we drafted a QB not because we think he is the QB of the future but because we have lost faith in Landry, and with Ben getting older, is Landry a valuable backup? No. (Because he threw WAYYYY to many INTs in the preseason and he had a horrible record this past season because of Ben's Injuries so with no good backup the steelers (Who are almost guaranteed to loose Ben it is important to have a person who can step up and get the steelers some wins through the games where Ben is not there.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they had more faith in landry than gradkowski or mettenberger or vick.:cool:

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    At that point in the draft, it was a great move! Some analysts had him going possibly in the 2nd round. End of the 4th, great decision. With his major/background, he's clearly the smartest QB of the draft...they can help polish him up on the football attributes

• Like Like x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think he is Ben's replacement, so I don't think it was a great move, and if you don't like Landry just sign a vet.

I'm not even sure he can replace Landry as #2. He doesn't seem very accurate at times.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think it shows lack of faith in Landry. Maybe lack of faith that Landry can become a starter eventually but not as a viable back up (he hasn't given us any reason to think he can't the past two seasons). I think they just wanted new blood in the room and they thought that Dobbs had the ability to develop into a starter.

Seriously they wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't think he could become a starter. The starter after Ben.

IMO I think we looked at it this way: Ben only has a few more years left... so let's draft a guy we think can develop into a starter now without spending a high pick at QB. 2-3 years down the road when Ben actually retires then we can decide whether or not we believe in Dobbs as his replacement. If not, then we go round 1 QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    It's the most important position on the field. I wanted for them to wait until 2018 but if they feel like Dobbs can become a better #2 than Landry or be an option when Ben retires you have to make the investment now, so I voted yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    To me, a quarterback has to have more than just the tangibles.

Yes, his 3rd down pass percentage does concern some and his mechanics need work whereas he boasts one of the best deep field percentage as well as one of the best passer ratings under pressure. However, what is lost in translation and context are the intangibles; traits that cannot be taught.

He has proven to be counted upon when he is needed most and further showcases at Tennessee's second half CFB turnaround. Dobbs has been called to be an exceptional leader and motivator among his peers and is truly bright from just the football perspective alone.

Now, like all rookies, there will be days more tumultuous than others. Gameplans or executions of them will not work out 100% of the time and some mistakes are self inflicted by oneself. However, it is how one perseveres through adversity and never waivers even when all else fails that can set themselves apart from their peers.

A second half CFB surge from Tennessee was mainly due in part to Dobbs. Considering Dobbs has showcased both the tangibles that can be molded and intangibles that will help him early on, Dobbs could potentially be the guy once Ben decides to retire should he show enough growth. Otherwise he could be one good backup to have.

8. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I really have no clue if Dobbs will start...don't know enough about him. But I can confidently say that I don't mind seeing the Steeltown Steelers play trail and error with QB draft picks until we find Big Ben's long term replacement. Not a bad idea having a young QB with uncertain potential in the building...opens up trade scenarios for us...like we'd ever make a trade...again

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If anything, they picked Dobbs because they did NOT like Mettenberger one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we have a winner.And took a 4th round flyer to see if he could be more?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was a good idea to draft Dobbs, but as far as a backup for Ben, it's all just guessing right now. Time and time again it's been shown that college skill doesn't always transfer to NFL skill, and sometimes college athletes drafted low perform better than expected in the NFL. Only time will tell.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dobbs is just another rookie project until further notice, I am hardly excited over the pick ive seen too many rookie QBs come and go over the years, yeah everybody was excited over our 1st round pick at QB when we drafted Mark Malone in the 1980 draft only to see him struggle for 8 years...........

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, but the radio show "Under Center with Mark Malone" (and formerly Donovan McNabb until he consistently took the minivan to the liquor store) wouldn't be the same.... But I hear ya, tough to get excited over a mid round QB pick, let alone any other position. Either way, I think you have to make an attempt at replenishing the position when ZM was clearly not working out. You don't want to go into the season with a shaky #2 in dirty Laundry and an offseason cut with your #3. Especially with Ben's injury history. If Dobbs' intellect catches up with his footwork, then maybe you have the foundation of something to build upon.

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think most here would agree that Landry is not the long term solution. Given the intangibles that Dobbs has, I am okay with taking a flyer in the fourth round on him. He could really blossom once he turns his attention full time to football. I'm excited to see how much time they give him in the preseason, and if he can unseat Jones.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't think it was the right move. There were defensive players available in the 4th that I think could have eventually helped the team so I didn't like taking a QB who in my opinion may never see a meaningful snap.

For the record he seems like a great kid, but as a potential NFL starter? I just don't see it. I would not have liked ANY QB at that point let alone a guy with below average accuracy and limited time under center. I can't think of any college QBs who had accuracy issues becoming accurate in the NFL.

Hope I'm wrong and this wasn't a wasted pick.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I voted yes but really wasn't crazy about it. I kinda liked peterman over Dobbs but I trust the FO over my perceptions.

Like- Ben is retiring in the next 3 yrs( I predict he plays 17&18 ) so we need to have a young QB to take the reigns. Dobbs is a smart guy ( off the field ) but how is his football IQ... In college he was a one read QB. He reminds me of K. Stewart which scares me but his smarts give me hope . Also his value in the 4th was positive.

Dislike- Ben will still be here next two years. Landry haters should know Landry was very good in college and he has gotten better every year. He doesn't get 1st team reps and didn't have much to play with last year and played well vs the pats. If drafting Dobbs was to push Landry then I really dislike it.... Drafting a future #2 makes little sense to me when cheap vets are a better option.
    Also there's at least 3-4 players I would have liked to have had.

Cajun

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A QB in the 4th rd is a wise investment.

4th rd picks dating to 2000:

2017 Joshua Dobbs
    2016 Jerald Hawkins
    2015 Doran Grant
    2014 Martavis Bryant
    2013 Shamarko Thomas & Landry Jones
    2012 Alameda Ta'amu
    2011 Cortez Allen
    2010 Thaddeus Gibson
    2009 No Pick
    2008 Tony Hills
    2007 Daniel Sepulveda
    2007 Ryan McBean (who the heck is this?)
    2006 Willie Colon
    2006 Orien Harris (who the heck is this?)
    2005 Fred Gibson
    2004 No Pick
    2003 Ike Taylor
    2002 Larry Foote
    2001 Mathias Nkwenti
    2000 Danny Farmer (We drafted Chevy Chase?)

Some hits, mostly misses. Why not take a flyer on a guy that could end up filling the most important position.

I think Dobbs has a good chance to do well. Im excited to see what he can do with some coaching.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dobbs will not be the backup QB this year or anytime in the future, he was a wasted draft pick in my opinion.........