1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does this coaching staff wait so long

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Oct 30, 2017.

1. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    You seem to forget the last 2 weeks 2 dropped TD passes in the red zone, and one nulled by a stupid PI call.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point ,
    It’s easier for some to complain than think.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben held the ball too long when he got here. Not new. Works out a lot too

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't seen Dobbs even throw the ball in a game. I have no idea if he's currently better than Ben, but I'll say this, if we were to go to Dobbs and he was worse, there would be no coming back from that decision. It would disrupt the team in a way that would likely derail our season. It would put Ben a spot where he likely couldn't come back from. It would be like betting your entire salary on a lotto ticket. If you win, jackpot, if you lose, you're ****ed.

It's not a smart move, and I haven't been happy with Ben's play so far this year. But if the coaches would just reign him in a little bit and make safe play calls when possible, Ben can do enough to help us win games. Ben isn't going to single-handedly win games for us anymore, those days are done, but we can still win with him. The time to go to Dobbs, or anyone else, isn't right now. It might come this season is things get much worse, but we aren't there yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Because you don't "build for the future" on a team that can win the Super Bowl. It's all about winning and putting your best players out there. Conner may be as good as Bell someday. Today he isn't. We're gonna give it to Bell 30 plus times because that's what is going to win us games now. Same thing for Dobbs. You don't throw a kid in there (who isn't ready to play big time ball) in the red zone and expect him to succeed. Coming in off the bench cold in a high pressure situation is really hard. Why do you think great closers are so hard to find?

Even if Ben has peaked and his red zone struggles continue... we still won 6 of 8. We will have to rely more heavily on the OL, Bell, and the defense to win games. All three players/units are capable of doing just that. Subbing Ben out in the red zone is a losers mentality, and we will lose if we do it. Dobbs should only see a game day helmet due to injury (knock on wood) or if he earns the back up spot in practice. Never to see meaningful snaps when ben is healthy

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Well. logically.. if Ben hangs up the cleats this year.. It would be nice to get some NFL time under Dobb's belt in the regular season somehow. we will be drafting #32 this year so another top QB is out of the picture.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

The future is now. Ben is off if because of age and health he will get worse not better.Exactly why we should be exploring all options that could potentially fix those .
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/joshua-dobbs?id=2558167

Look at what the experts think about his strengths. Can make timely exits from the pocket and win with his feet against overzealous rushers who vacate their rush lanes. Has explosive ability as a runner. Offers a team packaged-play potential in short yardage situations.

We are bad in the red zone and bad on short yardage . Blow some Teams out give him some work in cleanup duty . If short yardage let him have a few plays .If we need to go for 2 and you know Ben is bad at it then try Dobbs and see if it helps ?

Dobbs doesn't need the entire playbook .He needs a short yardage/GL playbook . It would consist of about 30 plays and 2 reads at most on passing plays and reading only half the field .

If he can't do that with some level of success we need to be prepared to move up for a QB .It would be nice to know that before Draft day esp. since we are failing in those areas anyway .It's his strong suit and our weakest one seems like a no brainer to me to at least look at it some .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Love for Dobbs??? Landry sucks and Dobbs is the only one left. So you have to love him, he is a Steeler unno...

9. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Dobbs would have been running before DHB was even open. You must have forgotten the perfect throw out of the endzone that went for 97 yards. I am sure Dobbs would have dropped that in. This is the NFL talent has a lot to do with it, but decision making is much more important. Down the stretch the games will be way too much for Dobbs. Ben is a vet he will respond. He is not having the greatest year, but he is 4th in passing yards and 6th in completions. Our record is 6-2. He could be playing a lot worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The initial idea of this thread was ridiculous. That anybody is still arguing it is just dumb.

The Steelers are 6-2. Roethlisberger isn't what he was, but he is still a veteran quarterback with two Super Bowl rings and three trips to the big game. No way in hell the team is going to start plugging in a mediocre rookie like Dobbs, even just in the red zone. If anything, Roethlisberger needs more work with his guys to get them all on the same page, which seems to be an issue at times this season.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just to clarify, Ben’s passer rating is 82.7. Dobbs is 0.0

Dobbs has never played in the NFL. He has no numbers to look like Ben’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    True he has no NFL numbers , Dobbs does have a 47.7 deep ball completion rate in College and Ben does have a 42% over all completion rate in the NFL this year . So to be fair we would have to compare Ben's College Deep ball to Dobbs . I can't find that number for Ben.

These numbers where for projecting and speculation . The Deep Ball is much harder to complete so when people say Dobb's has no chance in the NFL, I say any QB with a Deep Ball completion rate like that does have a chance.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I can live with that thought.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger's overall completion rate this year is not 42 percent. Did you mean his deep ball completion rate? It would help your analysis if you got the numbers right.

Comparing Dobbs to Roethlisberger is just silly on every level. Just stop.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like to be silly at times no reason not to be. I went with a site that negated dropped balls and catchable balls for Ben. I wanted to be as fair as I could when offering up speculation and projection.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you delete dropped balls and catchable balls, exactly what do you have left? Uncatchable balls that were caught? :hmm:

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thats exactly what you have left. Insert Antonio Brown . Making should be or would be picks into big plays. That's exactly the info I am using.

18. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016