1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does this coaching staff wait so long

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    IMO I think Ben is regressing rapidly. Now let's not think in the past but the present. I see over throws, under throws, holding on to the ball to long, can't run anymore, and can't shake off tacklers like he once did. Is this coaching staff committed to waiting until he gets hurt before they use Dobbs? We all know Landry is not the answer so put Dobbs in there on certain situations like RZ area and see what he can do. It can be any worse than what we are all seeing now in the RZ which is nothing.

• Disagree x 12
    • Hilarious x 3
    • Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben is 6 and 2 and you want to bench him for a rookie who has never started a game and has never played more than 2 pages out of 600 in the playbook and put him in with the hardest stretch of our schedule coming up. a 70% Ben is a 1000 times better than a 100% Dobbs, where do you people dream up this crazy S##T...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to mention who do they make inactive in order to have Dobbs get a hat for potentially 3 plays a game? Where is the sense in that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    dobbs sucks lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Go root for the Browns if you want to cheer on a young rookie QB. It's doing wonders for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would make LJ inactive and activate Dobbs. Ben is playing about the same as Dobbs at this point. Dobbs NFL numbers look like Bens 2017 NFL numbers.

Ben is off on almost every throw .The first pass of the game was a TD had he placed the ball correctly. He missed DHB by a mile a HS QB could have made that throw. He missed AB at least twice badly. He made a long throw to AB that was picked had AB not bailed him out. He missed JJ at least twice. He was late on the drag route throws guys had to wait or reach back.

Anyone who can't see that Ben is not half as good as he used to be are not really looking .He has a 82.7 rating overall and a 41. percent completion rate at the 20 and a 42 % at the 10.

Any QB in the NFL could probably post that with the talent we have . Our OL is ranked as 1 of the best. Bell is ranked the best. AB is ranked the best and yet we still can't score.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Dobbs, I think he has real potential and I want to see what he can do.....NEXT YEAR!

FFS. Hes not better than anyone right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Always impressive to use all Bold font to get a weak point across.

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Harrison, he just sits there anyway

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So what he still gives the team the best chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All I need now is an ice cold Coca Cola... :lolol:

michael-jackson-popcorn.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben is still a good QB, but he's having issues. He's not maximizing use of the weapons on offense. How many seasons since he first started talking about 30 pts/gm? It's getting to the point the receivers are getting pissed: see antics by AB and Martavis this season.

That 95 yard play to JuJu against the Lions is something we should see once per game with all the talent loaded into the offense. Let me clarify: Not that specific play (position, total yardage, etc.), but big plays like that play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I cannot believe anyone would suggest replacing Ben with a rookie. He is not doing that bad.. Not playing like he was in his prime but he is not stinking out the joint either. If anything people should be complaning about the dropped balls. Eli Rogers, Juju.. Perfect throws.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ben is playing about the same as Dobbs... Off an almost every throw... Seriously, I don't even know what to say here. Dobbs is not a starter on any roster in this league at this point. Maybe Frisco... Maybe.
    I hope he turns into the next best thing... I don't see it and hope he does, but you're way off with the notion that Dobbs can come in and chip in in any fashion much less lead a team built to actually make a serious run at this point in the season.

The first play of the game was a floated pass, I agree that could've done more damage if he'd got it there sooner, but like With DHB... hunter is not a gimme catch so you take what you get. I doubt he runs it in if he catches a zipped ball to begin with... I know it's a what if thing but that's clearly where you're living in the QB situation realm. He put a good ball on the same drive to Eli for a TD that would've been an actual TD had he caught the ball that hit him in the hands perfectly. DHB was not over shot by a mile... In fact he got his fingers on that ball too which was not a good pass. Had he floated out that horrible first play of the game pass to DHB in that scenario DHB would've had a better shot at it honestly supposing he catches it.

Every QB chucks some up for their receiver to make a play... Not everyone is hit in stride. AB won the battle like he should and is known to do. I'd rather Ben didn't heave it there and took a safer underneath shot as the time was there since AB had time to get into the matchup to begin with.

I'm glad he missed JJ cause chances are JuJu wouldn't have done what he did on that drive... Got hit in stride for a Steeler record setting longest pass play.

Ben's nowhere close to as done as you suggest, just as much as Dobbs is nowhere ready to come in and take the wheel. Hopefully he is down the road, but if they insert Dobbs, this team is winless period.

I can drink a lot bro but it'd kill me to get where you are with this insane Stance you take on the QB situation.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Are you certifiably nuts? You really think Dobbs gives us a better chance to make the post season?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ben has certainly not looked great so far this year, but dang man... replace him with a rookie? We aren't building for a future this season. We are trying to win the Super Bowl and we have a team good enough to win it. Ben has missed more throws this year than normal, but he's not done yet. He's not even that old for a QB in today's game.

We've only played half a season. Still plenty of time left. As long as he peaks when it matters, then idc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What if he never peaks ? What if the Red zone play continues ? What if Ben goes down for a few games ?

I think the stance that me and the OP are taking is why not get Dobbs a package or 2 and see if it helps us score the ball . Why not have Dobbs active in case we do blow someone out . We need to be getting Dobbs,Conner, and other potential guys that may be needed. Why would we not be doing that ?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think #7 demise is highly exaggerated, he can win us another this year he has atleast that much left.

Must protect him though, and he can't play stupid and be careless with the football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What about the Texans, if he wants to cheer on a young rookie QB.......

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What's worse than his physical limitations is his mental processing.....you can live with a few off target throws but his insistence on staring down AB and making his mind to just throw it no matter what could be a potentially back breaking mistake....especially come playoff time. I hope this bye is a opportunity and is seen as one for everybody to regroup and refocus....including us:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree conner needs touches... I believe he's gonna be needed later in the year based off of history and their running the wheels off of Bell. I also believe he's a nice switch of pace player that we could use more of on game day.

There are no touches for Dobbs... Outside of gimmick plays that might work a time or two and will ultimately be useless because it will be predictable much like a lot of what they've been doing. Dobbs hasn't earned any snaps... He's not a better option than LJ at this point. He just has not been in the system long enough in any real sense to warrant a hat! I know LJ isn't a preferred option, but he's earned whatever his role in the pecking order. We know he is t the future but he's the next best option. Hope Dobbs is the next captain as he's already here but I'm not holding my breath that he is.

The what if is what it is... If Ben goes down, so does the team. If Ben goes down, Landry comes in. If Ben goes down, Dobbs will get a hat and if LJ goes down you will see that Dobbs is simply not ready... He has not been prepared to be wether or not he could handle the load.

I'd rather he not be coached to be a wildcat or some supposed X factor type of player as a QB... Doesn't generally work well here. If you're notion of such was a grand idea, then why did they eat **** with Vick? He was more mobile than Ben right? Didn't matter matter come hand off speed or field position situations.

22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Is this your secondary account PWP? Hahahahahha just playing but man this verbiage is head scratching.

• Like Like x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes they would be a much better choice.

Poor Browns passed on Wentz and now Watson.

24. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    His mental processing has always been a matter of conversation for sure... It's a gunslingers mentality. Just like favre had and many others. His physical limitation is his knee, if that can't be fixed then yeah his time is short. This team won't dial things up to help him out and has as we've all seen, allowed him to trot out to field when he wasn't physically ready a handful of times... Counter productive as we all witnessed.

Even if they did try to get creative to cover up old lingering injuries, would he even play along? Idk... But he's not shot. He's got a couple years of being a decent QB left in him if he acknowledges some of what's going on. His arms still Very well alive but if the legs are gone I don't know if he can physically recover or mentally adapt to cover it.

I do know that he's the best bet to ride to get this seasons goals accomplished.

25. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Wentz is interesting... Time will tell but I think he looks like a franchise QB... But need another season or 2 to confirm it. Watson is bad ass and fun but good and bad all at the same time as he should be as a rookie phenom. The team is really rolling with him for the most part. I like him and hope he pans out and doesn't end up like the over hyped athletic QB known as Cam Newton. If Ben is old and shot what's cam's excuse? He's been inconsistent his whole career because he don't have it between the ears or in the chest. I think Watson has both and we'll see come year 2-3...