1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Colbert get a pass here?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelRaj, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He has been thinking about retirement for a few years now.

He has already checked out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Colbert has done an above average job. He is not the only one making the player decisions.

The second tier players, next man up have been sub par of late.

Every team unfortunately suffers injuries. You need a solid core under the starters. The Steelers do not have that.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I've said this before, Colbert was best when he had Cowher by his side because Cowher had a better eye for players and what this team needed. One he settled into the Tomlin years, his perceived genius lessened. Let's not forget he was once a member of the Detroit Lions front office and that stink never completely washes off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's a mess and involves everyone to some degree, like any failed relationship. They haven't drafted well. They haven't managed the cap well. They haven't filled roster holes well. They haven't coached/taught well. They haven't schemed well. They haven't played well. Some haven't behaved well. It's all interconnected. Starts at the top and, well, most here know how I feel about that.

The last NINE first round picks have given this 2021 team TJ, Minkah, Harris and nothing else (Jones, Shazier, Dupree, Burns, Edmunds, and Bush). That's a big list of suck followed by reaching for some Mid-Atlantic and other small school guys in later rounds who have all mostly done nothing. And so it goes. It's been obvious for years. Some have seen it, others are finally starting to. Decent records with zero chance to win a title. Failure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Jones and Burns were busts (that Tomlin kept for 4 years even playing Jones over Harrison).

Shazier, Dupree, Bush and Edmunds were good picks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Cough..Cough...Edmunds??????

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    edmunds would have been a good pick if he were taken in the 3rd. as a 1st round pick ? :thumbsdown: why do you think his 5th year option wasnt picked up ? my guess is they will offer him a modest contract. he might be able to get 4-6 million a year on the market but nowhere close to the 10 million he would get with the 5th year option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds was a reach, but they weren't going to draft Leonard in the first round :shrug:.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What are you talking about? Most teams keep their first round draft picks for at least four years.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

Dupree took 4 years to be any good. Way too long.

Bush and Edmunds could be cut and no one would notice.

Shazier was a good pick.

You got 1 out 4 good. That would make you $3MM a year in baseball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

12. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    even dupree is open to debate about if he was truly first round talent when they drafted him.

1st round picks are generally thought of as NFL ready starter quality. anything beyond that is usually considered developmental players.
    dupree didnt break out until his 5th year. so was he not a developmental player ?

arthur moats had 11.5 sacks in 25 starts.
    dupree had 20 sacks his first 54 starts

13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    12 first rounders in the 2016 draft were cut before 4 years. Some teams don't keep the busts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or some guys could be cut because of injuries, or off the field stuff.

15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Bush is recovering from a serious injury that has pretty much wrecked his career. He actually had a good rookie season leading the Steelers in tackles as a 21 year old.

There were better pass players the Steelers could have picked over Dupree but he's still pretty good. Should have made the Pro Bowl in 2019. Personally I'm not a fan of his at all but he's a decent pass rusher.

Edmunds is a solid starter. He doesn't change games but he also doesn't make a lot of big mistakes either. He's definitely better than Mitchell was (credit to Mitchell for being tough as hell playing through injuries though).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is a fear I have.
    I have watched every 1st round pick play for the entire contract whether they sucked ,or not. Dang Well knowing if He was a 3rd round pick ....someone else would already taken His place. It's like..... Ok we picked Him in the 1st....So by Gosh He's getting his time.
    So I think....Man if We screw up on the Qb in a 1st round pick....5 years of suck. They do this with every 1st round pick....even if the Guy behind Him is better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Drafting a player who has serious off the field issues is still a bust if they can't play. I'm not going through it player by player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I agree. If the 1st round pick isn't the best player at the position they shouldn't play until they are. Just play the best man at the position who gives the team the best chance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What???? I'll give You Bush ....because he was looking pretty good until the injury, but Edmunds.
    Dude. Man....Take any game ,and only watch Him. He makes errors on top of errors. There is a reason the D players are always hollering at Him after TDs. They won't say it 2 the public....of course. He's really not good.
    Never mind :beathorse:

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was talking about off the field issues once they're in the NFL.

21. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    huey richardson was drafted 15th overall in 1991...cut in 1992 ...out of the NFL completely before the end of 92 :roflmao:
    troy edwards only last 3 years

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Which season? I feel like he has improved a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This Year. He has improved, but that how terrible He was before.
    He's still terrible, but not as bad. LoL. Dude...besides our ILB/MLBs,and D line that's why our FS Minkah is having 2 make so many dang tackles. Like I said. Just take a game, and watch only Him.

24. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    people need to keep in mind that the Dline play effects the linebackers play. look at any great linebacker and take note of the hogs in front of them. thats why im not sold on georgia LB nakobe dean.
    ray lewis had ngata keeping him clean. james farrior had big snack and aaron smith , jack lambert had joe green and LC greenwood. teddy brushi had vince wilfork..etc etc etc. linebackers depend on dline like rb's depend on the oline.

i challenge anybody to name a probowl LB that didnt have at least one probowl dlinemen in front of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Did Cowboys keep Taco for 4 years?

• Agree Agree x 1