1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why didn't TJ get the sack at 13:44 in the second?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He gets a tackle for a 2 yard loss, but not a sack.

To me it looked like Tyler still was going to throw the ball before hitting the line of scrimmage, after he faked the handoff and TJ just caught him from behind. Murry is still inside the poscket and can throw the ball downfield, so why not a sack?
    upload_2023-12-3_19-24-26.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought that was a sack, too, but I guess the official scorer thought it was a running play.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I guess they ruled that it was a designed QB run and not a pass play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I also thought it should have been a sack. My wife asked why it wasn't and I didn't have a good answer for her. Maybe the Steelers will lobby for a stat correction.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm sure that's it. But Murray still has the ability to throw. I dont like that call at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, my son and I were talking about that when it happened. Because it was considered a run at that point.

7. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I think anytime the QB is tackled behind the line of scrimmage it should be a sack because the QB always has the option to throw the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Who exactly rules on that? The refs or the score keeper?

10. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I would guess that there is an official score keeper.

11. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    How would a score keeper, or even a ref know for sure if it was originally designed as a passing or running play? That's something I don't understand? Bottom line, if a QB gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage, it should be a sack

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    AND IN THE POCKET!!!

That is my biggest complaint. As long as a QB is in the pocket he is protected by all these QB rules, once he goes wide and gets outside the pocket he then becomes a runner.

TJ sacked him inside the pocket 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    They also. stole a sack from him during the year when he tied the nfl record.

the league doesn’t want any Steeler getting that record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Sometimes I feel like there's a conspiracy against the Steelers. Seems like we're scripted to go 9-8 for all of eternity, and never allow the greatest defensive player in the NFL to have any glory

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don’t know the answer, but I think they could probably determine that by how the lineman behaved I guess. If they’re setting for pass pro or if they’re firing off to reach the second level I mean.

Both announcers seemed to immediately call it a TFL instead of a sack.

Just a guess because I immediately thought it was a sack too.

:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    i watch a good amount of browns games being local. Garrett's a hell of a player, no question.. one of the best pass rushers all-time.. but i've seen a number of games where he is completely invisible. we've seen it a few times now when facing the steelers alone. to his credit, i know teams gameplan specifically to take him out of the game, leaving room for other players to pick up the slack.. but they do the same to Watt and i don't know that i've ever seen a healthy Watt disappear in a game. he just always finds a way to get to disrupt the QB and wreak havoc. he can pass rush, play the run, pass defend, strip sack ability is second to none.. he's the best defender in the game. Garrett is pretty much a one trick pony.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    How would they know if it was a designed running play for that matter? It could've been a broken pass play. Only the Cards would know for sure, that's why the process of a scorer ruling on it makes no sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    EXACTLY! In this modern era of read option QB’s who knows and who’s to say?

This same BS nonsense rule is why TJ is not the sole ownership of the sack record too. They took his last sack away for that 2 seasons ago.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What's funny is every time he does what Watt does routinely, he gets this HoF talk about him being the best to ever do it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think that people at the game or watching the all-22 film would be able to determine whether or not the offensive line was in pass pro (standing straight up or moving backwards) or if they were firing off the line is what I mean.

If the lineman are all three yards downfield then it would have to be a designed run or else they’d get called for “illegal man downfield”.

Again I don’t know that because on TV I couldn’t see the full movement of the O-line, but based on how quickly the announcers called it a tackle for loss I’m just assuming the line was run blocking that’s all.

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    It’s disgusting how much the media slobbers over that guy. He could have maimed or even killed Mason Rudolph and done irreparable harm to the league's image yet they continuously talk him up. I don’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Myles Garrett is a scumbag.

Whenever I type M-y-l my phone autofills the rest.
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It was a designed run play (although maybe not with Murray as ball carrier). O-line is pushing guys forward and definitely NOT forming a pocket around Murray.