1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we pass on Malik Willis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 6, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh gosh, STD, “You people”? Really?! You’re starting to sound like somebody else on this board that denigrates others’ opinions by referring to those who disagree as “people of your ilk”. :facepalm: I’ve always considered you a fairly reasonable member of the board but here lately…geez.

People can have honest disagreements and there’s robust debate on who was greater, Bradshaw or Ben. Our organization has been fortunate enough to have two HOF quarterbacks over the last half century. But there’s no need getting upset when “us people” compare and contrast the two.

Ben was great but don’t act like he didn’t have offensive weapons on par with Bradshaw. He had some great weapons. In fact, he had the greatest TE in Steelers history, some would argue the greatest WR in Steelers history and I’m not even taking about Hines Ward, I’m referring to AB, maybe the greatest dual threat out of the backfield in Leveon Bell and overall a very solid OL throughout his career. There were also many years where he had one of the top defenses in the league so don’t act like Terry had everything and Ben had nothing to work with.

They were both great but honest people can disagree without being put in a “you people” or “people of your ilk” box!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said You people for the sole reason that it was brought up when I wasn't even comparing them.
    I personally never compare them....I don't even like comparing them....You know why???
    Because they are both great in My eyes. You started this....Not I.
    You will never find Me comparing them....unless someone else brings it up, or throws it in My face.
    Yes Ben had talented players around Him, but there is talent, and there is TALENT. I don't believe AB even played in the NFL when We were in the SB....so bringing Him up means nothing.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Same here I didn't watch it. I was depressed for months after that loss. By far, the worst playoff loss in Steelers history.

Steelers likely would have lost to the 9ers.... but it would have been a better game. I can only name 3 Chargers on that team... Humphries, Seau and Means. Chargers were definitely one of the top 5 worst teams to ever get to the Super Bowl. Steelers choked bad on that one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It was a horrible choke job by Cowher but realistically the 9ers would have smoked us as well we didn’t have enough offense to compete with them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Neither did LB but that says more about our coaching than anything else. But I digress. Santonio Holmes was pretty good too and made the most clutch TD catch in Super Bowl history. You might as well get used to people comparing Bradshaw and Ben. It’s always going to happen and we’re darn lucky that we have two of the all time greats to compare to each other. :thumbs up:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I think Pre Season Kenny Pickett is better than both.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Woodson vs. Rice would have been fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes it was a choke by Cowher, but We may have won that SB, or We may not have....it's really hard to tell because styles make the fights(games).
    Anyway.......We will never know. :shrug:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know about that. Defense still won SB’s in that era.

I would have rather found out than losing to the Chargers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean in sports A plus B doesn’t always equal C but still we played a low scoring sloppy game vs the Chargers and lost. Chargers then played the 9ers and got beat by 50. I would have like to seen it as well but more than likely we lose.

NFC was on another level during the early to mid 90s

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Even Roethlisberger will tell you that his performance in Super Bowl XL wasn't nearly good enough. Yes, the eras are different. That held Bradshaw's passing statistics down. He was better in the Super Bowl. Why is that so difficult for you to live with?

Bradshaw had exactly one Hall of Famer starting with him on offense in Super Bow IX, Franco Harris. Mike Webster, Lynn Swann, and John Stallworth were all on that team and played in the game, but none was a starter yet. They were all rookies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. That was never a contest.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because they were looking past the Chargers, were even making a SB video.

They had a damn good defense. I don’t know if they would have won but the Chargers getting blown out means nothing. Steelers would have kept it a lot closer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We all would have rather seen the Steelers make it to that game, but I don't see how it would have been much of a game. That 49ers team was insanely good. Siefert was actually a good coach, too. It wasn't like Super Bowl XXX, when the Steelers were playing an opponent with superior talent, but an overmatched head coach in Barry Switzer.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think there were high school teams that might have kept it closer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ugh, that AFC Championship Game loss at Three Rivers to the Chargers. Stan Humphreys to Alfred Pupunu for big gains. Totally wide open both times. Bobby Ross outcoached Cowher that day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I remember two things after the loss. The 49ers were accused of circumventing the salary cap with the team that dominated in the 1994 Superbowl, and the untimely deaths of 8 Charger players from their 1994 team. I first heard about that when Junior Seau took his life, he was number 8 of the untimely deaths.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I kinda wished the NFL could loan players to the XFL, USFL or Canada or there was an NFL Europe for teams to send players to. Malik Willis would benefit greatly by getting meaningful reps vs somewhat less competition to polish his skills and develop them more. As of now, I wouldn't expect Willis to be a solid contributor until about 2025 at the earliest. That doesn't mean he can't wear a yellow jacket someday. He's just that raw right now. He just looks like someone that needs the Kurt Warner development.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We won , and he disappeared. As usual.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I wish it had been by 50! It was humiliating enough as it was. Can never humiliate the Chargers enough, I say!

• Like Like x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Had to be in the 40s? It was awful I know that

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A developmental league is often talked about, but honestly how many players actually come into the league from them? No doubt Warner and even a few from the recent spring leagues are playing, but the number is small. The toll on the body is one reason. Fir instance coming out of college, going through an NFL season on a PS, then playing spring ball to go right back into NFL training camp. I've heard guys say PS is more than just your position. They use those guys as opposing teams in practice, so you may have a rb lining up as a DE. All that for 5 plus months, then spring league, then all the prep for training camp. Even young the body breaks down. There are guys that get lost in the shuffle no doubt, James Harrison bounced around a few years and had it not been for an injury was ready to hang it up.

Not against any opportunities and if a league can provide that and give entertaining games more power to them, just saying the numbers don't equate to many getting long term success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Quite a few. James Harrison comes to mind. There was a few USFL and XFL guys on 2022 rosters this year.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Adam Vinetari, Dante Hall, and James Harrison are NFL Europe grads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL...umni - including,League 2000s All-Decade Team.