1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we pass on Malik Willis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 6, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Malik seems like a great kid and he’s really easy to root for, but…I see him as a strong armed running back. :shrug:

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't worry....I heard the same about Cam, and then seen the worst Qb play I may have ever seen in the SB. Two fumbles, a pick, no tds running, or passing, and My favorite 18 of 41 passing. LoL

3. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I do not believe Jalen Hurts listens to doubters, he is driven to succeed. Dumped as the starter by Alabama for Tua, goes to Oklahoma where he learns to play quarterback and throws for almost 4000 years, and now undefeated in Philly. And he is the Derrick Henry of running QBs.

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don’t think the kid has it… thought the same of hurts and thought mariota was superior to Herbert (duck lore) so… amongst more than a handful of other opinions I’ve been mostly right and seldomly surprised and as a football fan I can appreciate it.

I once was pissed that the Steelers didn’t take Dak but an old cowboys friend said for every Dak there’s a handful of Quincy Carters and the story is still out on Dak.

it’s really all a crapshoot

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I didn’t think he had it in him after watching him last year but I give him a ton of credit. He’s balling now.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m shocked that you didn’t watch SB XL :lolol:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now that was the worst

8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I watch the SEC more than any conference, and Jalen was not really a throwing QB at Alabama, but he had incredible players all around him...huge OL, great WRs and RBs. I also doubted him as a quarterback until this year. His HC was former OC, so maybe he has helped Jalen's throwing accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well you can fix it. Allen is an example of fixing his motion.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank God for Antwaan!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He was the best quarterback in that Super Bowl. Ben stunk up the joint.

I wonder why? :hmm:

96F350B4-5785-4644-B01F-26A05757376A.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not saying you are conjuring it out of thin air. I'm saying he hasn't shown that he can do what you think he will do yet because he hasn't in college or pro games. Hurts, on the other hand, had shown it.

As a third-round pick, he would have been worth the risk due to his physical talent. As a first-rounder, most definitely not.

As to the rest, I wasn't needling. I was making a point. You can disagree regarding the likely outcomes, but I just don't see the evidence that he has shown the ability to figure it out that you see. Maybe I've just seen the wrong evidence. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Jalen Hurts and Malik Willis are fair comparables in terms of style. They are similar running threats (neither are even close to as dynamic as Lamar Jackson, but plus runners) and have similar struggles in transition to the NFL. The main thing that worried me about Malik was just how little he showed that made me believe that he was capable of playing QB at all, let along in the NFL. Like the little things like reads, pocket presence, scripted offense, etc. He has shown literally no ability to do any of these things. It was easy to fall in love with the big arm because he was able to evade some rushers in college and bought enough time to heave it downfield to make a big play. But that was his biggest downfall. He is ONLY a playmaker. He didn't have anything else. Those types of players don't make it in the NFL. Kordell Stewart was very similar in that vein. He could make a spectacular play with his legs and arm that would "wow" you.... but he couldn't play the QB position and he ultimately flamed out of the league. I think Malik Willis would do extremely well to have a career like Kordell Stewart did. He needs to find a team that will build an offense that invests HEAVILY in the OL and RB positions and just plans on running it with the RB 25+ times a game and 12+ times a game with the QB. It seems like Tennessee is on that train, so it will be interesting to see if he can stick in this league for a real amount of time.

There is a reason why Josh Allen is a star. Not because he is a playmaker, but because he plays the QB position at an elite level AND can make those highlight reel plays. As someone who is a fan of Hurts' game (I specifically remember a conversation this offseason with you regarding thinking Hurts was WAY better than you thought he was), I think we should pump the breaks. He has to sustain it for more than half a season against a pretty soft schedule before I start considering him more than just a solid, good, NFL QB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    He didn't look that good at all. They wouldn't even let him throw the ball. What are you watching?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have to disagree regarding Dilfer. He was less than average, but they had a strong running game to go with a one of the all-time great defenses. My point was that winning a Super Bowl doesn't automatically mean the quarterback is anything special. Dilfer is one of the better examples in the last 30 years.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but you also know that Hurts is better than average which was my point to STD.

I disagree about Dilfer, at worst he was average.

*edit. Actually I think I may be confusing Dilfer. You’re probably right about that.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm curious. Who were you thinking of? Flacco? I would agree that he was above average.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And he had a fantastic post season, too but no, not him. And not McMahon. Was there another Trent? Not even necessarily one that went to a SB? I dontl know know but yeah, Dilfer wasnt good.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    At least both Qbs scored....neither scored in anyway in the Denver/Carolina game.
    The worst Qb played SB game I can ever remember seeing.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Both Qbs scored in XL.....neither Qb scored in Denver/Carolina ...not running, or passing :shrug:

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You act like Ben didn't score. Cam nor Payton scored a point in the SB I'm talking about.....not pass ,or run.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben had a passer rating of like 20 I think :lolol:

He was freaking awful in that SB, dude. At least Cam had the excuse of facing a fierce D and Peyton was washed up, everyone knows that.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah the Seattle team sucked....I don't know why they even went.:shrug:
    Needless to say....Ben still (as the Youngest Guy to ever win a SB)...still as bad as He played....out scored both Qbs from the Denver/Carolina SB put together. LoL :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Most of the great QBs in the league struggle in the beginning. However. They show drastic improvement and have some eye popping skills even if they are not winning. But they must be Abe to throw the ball and Malik can’t and will never be anything but a back up who can hand the ball off forty times a game if he has to play. Thank god we passed on him

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    passer rating of 22.6 with 123 yards and 2 interceptions

worst ever

• Winner Winner x 1