1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we pass on Malik Willis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 6, 2022.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Exactly. If Willis is all that, then go root for the Titans. I could care less about him. He isn't a Steeler.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really doesn't. Not even close.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If he really is smart, Willis hasn't shown that intelligence on the field. Hell, Dobbs is a very smart man. He doesn't bring it to the field.

Hurts actually showed the ability to produce against big-time competition in college, both at Alabama and Oklahoma. He was much better against elite competition than Willis was against far weaker competition. Other than both being mobile guys, the comparison just doesn't hold up.

I didn't think it was directed at me, but I think many of the comments were mocking Benny's claim that Willis has looked good rather than insisting he is a lock to be a bust.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    I'll stick with Kenny Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's my take too. Stating that Willis looked good was a bit of a stretch to say the least. He's going to need some serious work with his reads and processing. Kenny looks lightyears ahead of him at this point on those things.

Does he have the raw arm talent? No. Does Brady have the raw arm talent Willis has? No.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can make a strong argument that the two greatest quarterbacks in my lifetime have been Joe Montana and Tom Brady. The list of quarterbacks with elite arm talent who couldn't get a whiff of guys like that is incredibly long and not all that distinguished.

As long as they have the baseline physical ability to play in the NFL, it is what they have between the ears that matters most.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I would agree that football smarts and being able to read a defense are the most important aspects of being a great QB. Ball security and execution usually follow if those attributes are realized.

Still having a pro arm can obviously help as well. Needing to make the 10-15 yard out throw on a rope and not floating balls downfield are also important.

Not sure KP has either at this point as his balls tend to float and he’s turning it over and at an alarming rate. He is a rookie however on a very poorly run team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has an NFL arm. He doesn't have an elite NFL arm. He has demonstrated the ability to run a pro-style offense at an elite level in college. He has to bring that to the pros. Willis hasn't shown that ability at any level. People are just assuming he will figure it out.

9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    My biggest fear with KP is that being a Pitt fan I saw a guy who really only had 1 great year the rest of his career was average to below. He also played in the ACC where defense is optional. It’s hard to judge him after a few games but I’d say I’m far from sold on him ever being a legit NFL starting QB. Of course our overall offensive dysfunction makes it even harder to analyze.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I thought Hurts wasn't going to take the next step. If Willis does so be it. They are not Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What he did in college is meaningless at this point. I’m talking about his performance as a pro and Hurts was absolutely awful last year, awful. Players on defense were shouting the guy cant read. He had no idea what defenses were throwing at him.

Willis will figure it out in time, too.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hurts and Willis are separate individuals. That Hurts figured it out is irrelevant to what Willis will do.

What Willis did, and failed to do, while in college is an indicator of what he is likely to do as a pro, just as it was an indicator that Hurts might eventually figure things out no matter how bad he looked at times last season. Hurts actually had some good moments in 2021, but he also had some when he looked lost. What he is doing in 2022 didn't come out of nowhere. There were flashes of it the last two seasons.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL I take it back, you aren’t trying to keep it real.

This is why I don’t waste my time talking to you anymore.

We’ll see how Willis ends up.

14. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Boy. I am so jealous the titans got Malik. His 5-16 passing for 80 yards would fit the Mat. Canada offense perfect. Those stats were with a crazy running game and awesome play action opportunities and he still sucked. Kenny may be a turnover machine but he can actually throw the ball.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    To the wrong team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have to say I'm disappointed that you hade to make that personal. We were having a reasonable discussion of the thread. Why did you have to do that?

The proper response would be to tell me what you find unreasonable in my post. I'm not saying Willis can't figure it out. I'm saying he hasn't shown the ability to do so, which is true.

What players do in college is an indicator of what they might do as professionals. We shouldn't ignore it, especially when talking about guys who have been in the pros for such a short time. If we didn't also have Pickett's college resume to consider, I would be much more concerned. We have seen him make elite-level plays, though against college competition. We have seen him read defenses and make the necessary throws. We have seen him show a good pocket presence and make plays accordingly.

Hurts had showed those things in college, too. He had played very high-level competition at Alabama and Oklahoma. He wasn't consistent enough and it wasn't always in a pro-style offense, but there were indicators that he could figure it out as a pro.

Willis doesn't have any of that. He has great physical ability, probably more than either Hurts or Pickett. He has not shown the ability to make the type of reads he will have to make in the NFL. He didn't even do that against inferior competition in college. We did see him show poor pocket presence even against that weak competition.

None of that means he can't get there, but you are projecting things we haven't seen from him at any level.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How was that making it personal? Because I decided to leave the debate? Because you were being condescending in telling me that Hurts and Willis are separate individuals as if I didn’t know that? They have some of the same flaws, it was absolutely a fair comparison to use Hurts struggles and progress at the pro level. The only difference is Willis is more talented and thought of as smarter.

You are also trying to tell me what he did in college still means anything when we already have tons of tape at the pro level. If what they did at college meant anything you wouldn’t have countless examples of small school QB’s who faced lesser talent outperforming QB’s from the top schools that faced the best competition. It means nothing.

Actually there are examples of Willis doing the things you are accusing him of not doing and he also tends to keep his eyes down field when he is on the move which is a good trait to have.

Willis figuring it out isn’t as hard as you are making it out to be. In this day and age and with his talent, it will just take the game slowing down for him for his career to take off. You tailor your offense around his skills just like the Ravens did with Jackson and the Eagles did with Hurts. If it was 20 years ago, I would agree that he would be a complete failure at this level.

As it is, it’s just a matter of time before he is being talked about along side Jackson, Hurts, Fields and Murray.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All of who are average Qbs. Sorry @Blast Furnace....I just can't help Myself. LoL :lolol::thumbs_up:

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I knew you’d have something to say. :lolol:

One of those “average” QB’s might have a SB this year :taunt:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    "This is why I don't waste my time talking to you" isn't making it personal? Come on.

I'm sure you know they are separate individuals. My point was that your argument was ignoring that fact. Just because Hurts got it doesn't mean Willis will. I explained why, and added more detail to clarify it in my last post. There were more indicators that Hurts could get it going into this season than there have been that Willis will get it.

My argument isn't that small school players can't figure it out. My argument is that Willis didn't show the ability to figure it out. I find that even more concerning because he couldn't do it against weak competition. He just relied on his physical gifts.

You are assuming that simply because he wasn't asked to do those things that he will automatically pick them up now that he will have to do so. That simply isn't true. Not everybody gets it. The inability to figure things out holds guys back all the time.

Jackson was a much better college quarterback than Willis. He faced tougher competition and played a more complete game at Louisville. Willis is tough and elusive like Jackson, but not as fast.

It's not just a matter of time. It is a matter of him doing things he hasn't shown the ability to do at any previous level. Hurts, Jackson, Fields, and Murray all did show some level of that ability before they got to the NFL.

You mentioned Willis being a smart guy. Maybe he is. Honestly, I don't know either way. Smart in a classroom setting or in a discussion with coaches or media isn't the same as smart on the field. Josh Dobbs proved that. He is a hell of a lot smarter until he has to show it on the field. Roethlisberger is a good example, too. There have been more intelligent NFL quarterbacks who didn't get it on the field the way Roethlisberger did.

I get the appeal of Willis. Hell, if the Steelers had gone with my first preference and taken Hill in the first round and Moore or Pickens in the second, I would have liked the idea of taking him over Leal in the third. That's where he belonged, not the first.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trent Dilfer earned a Super Bowl ring as a starter, too.

22. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well...irony and hypocrisy work both ways....Why weren't you gushing over Pickett after his first preseason game when he went 13-15 with 2 TDs?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You like to needle people, don’t pretend like you don’t. I’m probably short with you when I don’t need to be because I’m already on the defensive but you bring that on yourself with how you interact with people. I’ll try not to read too much into everything you say and be more patient.

As for the rest, I disagree with you. I’ve seen enough from him that makes me think he will figure it out. I scouted the heck out of this kid and read everything on him, plenty of which agrees with how I feel about him. I’m not conjuring it out of thin air.

Time will tell who is right about him.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Here is why Malik sucks. He is not an accurate thrower of a football. If you cannot pass accurately in the nfl, your doomed for failure. He had easy playa toon throws open and was so bad I felt bad for the kid. You can’t fix that throwing motion in nfl and the titan staff knew it and made sure he threw as little as possible.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say Dilfer was more than average but the biggest difference is he played on a team with one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen. Thats not the case with Hurts. While his defense is good, he is more instrumental to the Eagles winning games than Dilfer was for the Ravens.

Bottom line though, there will be fans that are not happy with a running QB winning the SB should the Eagles go all the way. Oopsie.